FORUMS

HTC’s New Ad Campaign And What It Really Means

HTC has just released three new blind test adverts comparing app loading … more

XDA Picks: Best Apps of the Week (June 27 – July 4)

Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a … more

HTC One M9 Developer Edition Android 5.1 OTA

The Developer Edition of the HTC One M9 is receiving an over-the-air update to Android 5.1. … more

Index Project For XDA Device Subforums

Another ambitious project from the collaborative efforts of Recognized Contributors and Forum … more

[How-To] Update to G900A_OC4 - 5.0 and KeepRoot (4/8/2015)

2,764 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,920

By muniz_ri, Senior Member on 9th April 2015, 07:19 AM
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
**You can begin the following process from any Build/ROM but you must already have Root Access**

**Required** FlashFire - Play BETA - PREVIEW
1. Join the G+ community using the same Google account as you're using for Play on your phone/tablet Here.
2. Sign up to receive the BETA versions from Play Here.
- Use the link provided after sign-up to download the app.

**Notice** - I light of the new OF2 update these ROM's are no longer safe. Stand by for a new KeepRoot thread!

Downloads:
- G900A_OC4_Stock_Rooted_ROM_wOA1_BL

- G900A_OC4_Stock_DeOdexed_ROM_wOA1_BL

Set your screen timeout setting to 10 mins before beginning!

1. Place the ROM onto your device (use either internal or ext-sdcard).
2. Open the FlashFire app and "Agree" to the Terms and Conditions.
3. Press "(+)" twice to bring up the "Actions" menu.
4. Press "Flash Zip or OTA" and locate and select the ROM. Leave "Auto-mount" unchecked under the "Options" menu and press the checkmark to continue.
5. From the main menu Uncheck all options under "EverRoot" and use default "Reboot" setting.
6. Last, press the lightning bolt then "Ok" to begin the flash .

The screen will turn black then display the contents of your system before beginning the flash. FlashFire will pause for about 1 minute while flashing the "system" partition. Once complete your device will reboot and pause on the AT&T splash screen for about 1 - 2 minutes ( 10 - 15 mins for DeOdexed version) before completely rebooting. Done!

Tip: for blazing fast speed turn off animations from Developer Options and reboot!

Known Issues:
- None!

Optional - Enable Native Tethering:
- G900A_OC4_TetherAddOn (Flash using FlashFire's "Flash zip or ota" option).

Notes:
1. The above process will not affect your Knox Warranty Flag.
2. The process will update your Modem, Non-hlos, System, Kernel, and Stock Recovery to OC4. Your Bootloader will only be updated OA1 allowing for downgrading your firmware at anytime.
3. As of 5/7/2015 no need to wipe prior to flashing! The ROM will automatically perform a factory data reset.
4. The TetherAddOn has been moved Here.
5. If you do not already have root access or to unbrick you must flash the G900A_Downgrade_to_NCE.tar(Caution! Do not use if you have taken the OC4 ota update) and root with TowelRoot, before continuing with the above process.
6. To learn more about FlashFire's capabilities on locked bootloader devices see here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...10&postcount=2
Last edited by muniz_ri; 3rd July 2015 at 06:18 AM.
The Following 84 Users Say Thank You to muniz_ri For This Useful Post: [ View ]

9th April 2015, 07:43 AM |#2  
Flag COCONUT CREEK, FL
Thanks Meter: 155

More
For whenever you get a chance to think about it, will there ever be a Safestrap for 5? need to look into Nandroid backups then? i loved SS. thanks again for all your hard work. AND FAST TOO.
The Following User Says Thank You to samccfl99 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th April 2015, 08:21 AM |#3  
Flag Athens, Ohio
Thanks Meter: 298

Donate to Me
More
I suggest that since safestrap no longer works, to do the data backup in KIES before this method and restore after doing this method.
The Following User Says Thank You to CAG-man For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th April 2015, 09:27 AM |#4  
korce
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri

**You can begin the following process from any previous Build/ROM but you must already have root and Safestrap installed. Make certain Reactivation lock is unchecked!**

Instructions:
1. Extract the G900A_OC4_Stock_Rooted_Backup from the .rar archive and place it into the following folder: ext-sdcard/TWRP/BACKUPS/xxxxxx, fyi...the name of this folder will vary. If the folder does not already exist you must first use Safestrap to create a nandroid backup and Safestrap will create the folder for you.
2. From Safestrap recovery press "Wipe" then "Advanced Wipe" and wipe everything but your ext-sdcard.
3. From the main menu press "Restore," then select and restore the G900A_OC4_Stock_Rooted_Backup.
4. Once complete from the main menu press "Reboot," then reboot into "Download" mode.
5. Last, flash the G900A_OC4_Stock_Partitions_wOA1_BL using Odin's PDA slot (AP in Odin v3.09+) and reboot. Done!

After completing the above process your device will pause on the AT&T splash screen for 5 - 10 minutes before completely rebooting.

Tip: for blazing fast speed turn off animations from Developer Options and reboot!

Notes:
2. This process will update your Modem, Non-hlos, System, Kernel, and Stock Recovery to OC4 and your Bootloader to OA1 (BusyBox is also pre-installed).
3. Safestrap will no longer function after updating to 5.0.
4. The most common cause of an Odin flash failure is a bad usb port or cable. Please check before reporting a failure!

I did everything as you said, but when I am trying to restore I says RESTORE FAIL??? What should I do
I was on 4.4.4???
Now I downgrade to 4.4.2 with G900A_Downgrade_to_NCE.tar but again I cant make OTA update
Please help
Last edited by marius1985; 9th April 2015 at 09:47 AM.
9th April 2015, 09:47 AM |#5  
Flag Salem, Oregon
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG-man

I suggest that since safestrap no longer works, to do the data backup in KIES before this method and restore after doing this method.

Good idea.... I did not do this lol, but I have some titanium backups on my sd card.

I was on the pre-rooted 4.4.4 that muniz_ri put together a couple of months ago. Worked well and quickly without any problems.

I actually don't mind starting fresh.... anything else I'll use titanium ... I miss safestrap though (security blanket wise lol).

Nice work again muniz_ri.
The Following User Says Thank You to nicetucu For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th April 2015, 11:58 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thumbs up
Quote:

OP

Been following this since yesterday, just made an account to say fantastic work muniz, this really helps out the community.

One thing though, once we move to Lollipop, are we able to do the same as Verizon and flash the old kernel to access Safestrap?
The Following User Says Thank You to kipptc For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th April 2015, 01:24 PM |#7  
Flag Greenwood
Thanks Meter: 3

More
I am on 4.4.2 rooted with Unity ROM installed. Do I need to upgrade to 4.4.4 first or am I all set?
9th April 2015, 01:28 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:

**You can begin the following process from any previous Build/ROM but you must already have root and Safestrap installed. Make certain Reactivation lock is unchecked!**

Instructions:
1. Extract the G900A_OC4_Stock_Rooted_Backup from the .rar archive and place it into the following folder: ext-sdcard/TWRP/BACKUPS/xxxxxx, fyi...the name of this folder will vary. If the folder does not already exist you must first use Safestrap to create a nandroid backup and Safestrap will create the folder for you.
2. From Safestrap recovery press "Wipe" then "Advanced Wipe" and wipe everything but your ext-sdcard.
3. From the main menu press "Restore," then select and restore the G900A_OC4_Stock_Rooted_Backup.
4. Once complete from the main menu press "Reboot," then reboot into "Download" mode.
5. Last, flash the G900A_OC4_Stock_Partitions_wOA1_BL using Odin's PDA slot (AP in Odin v3.09+) and reboot. Done!

After completing the above process your device will pause on the AT&T splash screen for 5 - 10 minutes before completely rebooting.

Notes:
2. This process will update your Modem, Non-hlos, System, Kernel, and Stock Recovery to OC4 and your Bootloader to OA1 (BusyBox is also pre-installed).
3. Safestrap will no longer function after updating to 5.0.
4. The most common cause of an Odin flash failure is a bad usb port or cable. Please check before reporting a failure!

I successfully did a backup via Kies and via Safestrap onto my external SD, but when I installed 5.0 and the updated kernel... I restored my backup from Kies and it did successfully restore, but it apparently didn't restore my apps, is there a way I can restore my apps with the backup from Safestrap? Thanks for any replies in advance.
9th April 2015, 01:40 PM |#9  
Flag Barberton,Ohio
Thanks Meter: 57

Donate to Me
More
Sorry to be a pain but for those of us that just rooted before and never used Safestrap,can you break it down Barney style so everybody can understand it correctly plz? I've never used SS and would like to keep my root but am leary of using SS and doing backups,etc. I'm on 4.4.4. OA1 stock,rooted.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PS4AndroidHacker For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th April 2015, 03:28 PM |#10  
Flag COCONUT CREEK, FL
Thanks Meter: 155

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS4AndroidHacker

Sorry to be a pain but for those of us that just rooted before and never used Safestrap,can you break it down Barney style so everybody can understand it correctly plz? I've never used SS and would like to keep my root but am leary of using SS and doing backups,etc. I'm on 4.4.4. OA1 stock,rooted.

check out here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=294

then install busybox then safestrap (not to worry, works great, been around quite a while), create/install recovery in SS, make a current backup and then follow the great instructions in post #1

but if you dont like L, then its back to the beginning with NCE, root, SS, go back to OA1 and then restore your OA1 bu from SS

http://forum.xda-developers.com/att-...-2015-t3021120

at least this is my understanding and i have gone from 442/NG3 to OA1 and back this way and it works fine, dont take too long either. just need all the files.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to samccfl99 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread