Ask a question

No registration required

lollipop root on G900A discussion

OP wmunn

26th December 2014, 06:25 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3

29 posts
On the G900A shipped from AT&T we have a locked bootloader, and there is no known existing workaround to unlock it correct?

So given that, root was achieved , then safestrap was developed so we can currently flash roms that use the stock bootloader and kernel image, however we can customize the OS as long as the kernel and loader are untouched.

If the bootloader stays locked, what is known regarding safestrap and lollipop?
Can we still rollback the stock kernel to achieve root, then roll forward and keep it?
If that is the case, then when the stock AT&T lollipop is released, some level of ROM development can occur?

I am confused somewhat by all the discussions surrounding this, and didn't see any threads to discuss it specifically.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wmunn For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th December 2014, 09:50 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 7

18 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmunn

On the G900A shipped from AT&T we have a locked bootloader, and there is no known existing workaround to unlock it correct?

So given that, root was achieved , then safestrap was developed so we can currently flash roms that use the stock bootloader and kernel image, however we can customize the OS as long as the kernel and loader are untouched.

Can we still rollback the stock kernel to achieve root, then roll forward and keep it?
If that is the case, then when the stock AT&T lollipop is released, some level of ROM development can occur?

I am confused somewhat by all the discussions surrounding this, and didn't see any threads to discuss it specifically.

No, if you update to lollipop then your ability to have a rooted phone will be lost. The bootloader hasnt changed since the phone was released which is the reason we have been able to rollback the rom. This was a loophole in the original firmware of the s5. When lollipop comes out then it will be a completely different bootloader and will be locked and you will not be able to roll back to kk bootloader. The loophole for this has been patched and there probably wont be another way to root the phone after lollipop considering the guy that found the loophole is now working for googles security team. Bottom line is if you want root then you cant have lollipop.

Sent from my SM-G900A using XDA Free mobile app
29th December 2014, 06:37 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

29 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miller1821

No, if you update to lollipop then your ability to have a rooted phone will be lost. The bootloader hasnt changed since the phone was released which is the reason we have been able to rollback the rom. This was a loophole in the original firmware of the s5. When lollipop comes out then it will be a completely different bootloader and will be locked and you will not be able to roll back to kk bootloader. The loophole for this has been patched and there probably wont be another way to root the phone after lollipop considering the guy that found the loophole is now working for googles security team. Bottom line is if you want root then you cant have lollipop.

Sent from my SM-G900A using XDA Free mobile app

How does this affect our device when it gets the lollipop update?

http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...-stock-kernel/
29th December 2014, 09:16 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 2,101

1,470 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmunn

Thanks to chainfire the chances of updating to 5.0 while keeping root seems more doable at this point.
However, based on recent samsung updates for other devices, safestrap may stop functioning after the update as it continues its slow death.

Once again, if having root access is important to you, do no not take the 5.0 update when released until some of us have a chance to evaluate it.
30th December 2014, 04:19 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

29 posts
Since I am running dynamic Kat on stock slot right now, I should be safe from updates for now right?

Waiting to see what happens with all this. I did back up my stock rom to an SD card, so I can restore and unroot etc... to get an update if I choose to later.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread