FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Possible ways to achieve root?

2 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By jsmithfms, Junior Member on 8th August 2015, 11:46 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
So I actually don't have the S5, or any Samsung device for that matter, but a friend of mine does, and really wants to root their phone. I had no idea the AT&T S5 was so secure, but it's pretty interesting too. I've been researching for over 15 hours. I may not have been able to root his phone, but I think I have learned a couple things and maybe some possible root methods.

1.) Since using ODIN to downgrade would soft brick the phone, would it be possible to download the stock Lollipop update onto a computer, give the update super user access, replace the recovery with a custom one, or unlock the bootloader from the computer, then flash it through ODIN?

2.) Intercept any sort of OTA update, then alter it to flash a custom recovery or unlock bootloader? I don't know how you would go around this though.

3.) If someone hasn't taken the OTA update that patched the Stagefright exploit, could someone purposely use the exploit to allow installation of a custom recovery or even to unlock the bootloader since the Stagefright bug has super user access (or so I've heard).

Also, I'm sorry if these are stupid ideas. I know close to nothing about Samsung so everything I'm basing this off of is what I've read in the past 15 hours.

8th August 2015, 12:46 PM |#2  
RC-RT & Moderator Committees / Spider-Mod
Flag Right behind you!
Thanks Meter: 31,780

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmithfms

So I actually don't have the S5, or any Samsung device for that matter, but a friend of mine does, and really wants to root their phone. I had no idea the AT&T S5 was so secure, but it's pretty interesting too. I've been researching for over 15 hours. I may not have been able to root his phone, but I think I have learned a couple things and maybe some possible root methods.

1.) Since using ODIN to downgrade would soft brick the phone, would it be possible to download the stock Lollipop update onto a computer, give the update super user access, replace the recovery with a custom one, or unlock the bootloader from the computer, then flash it through ODIN?

2.) Intercept any sort of OTA update, then alter it to flash a custom recovery or unlock bootloader? I don't know how you would go around this though.

3.) If someone hasn't taken the OTA update that patched the Stagefright exploit, could someone purposely use the exploit to allow installation of a custom recovery or even to unlock the bootloader since the Stagefright bug has super user access (or so I've heard).

Also, I'm sorry if these are stupid ideas. I know close to nothing about Samsung so everything I'm basing this off of is what I've read in the past 15 hours.

The issue is that AT&T (and Verizon) use an encrypted signature key to verify they are the correct unaltered files as well as the means to unlock the bootloader to allow the OTA. Without that key, the tasks you mention are near impossible. They are not stupid ideas at all..just very difficult with all the security checks included.
Last edited by KennyG123; 8th August 2015 at 12:48 PM.
8th August 2015, 01:07 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Richmond
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyG123

The issue is that AT&T (and Verizon) use an encrypted signature key to verify they are the correct unaltered files as well as the means to unlock the bootloader to allow the OTA. Without that key, the tasks you mention are near impossible. They are not stupid ideas at all..just very difficult with all the security checks included.

Crap... well does anyone know how that encyption key is generated? Like, could I theoretically get an algorithm from a ROM?
8th August 2015, 01:14 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Honestly for the time being I wouldn't bother with ROMS for that Device and carrier at the moment. Especially being that its someone elses device. Towelroot should be a good start. If Im not mistaken I don't think its supposed to trip knox.

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using XDA Free mobile app
8th August 2015, 01:26 PM |#5  
RC-RT & Moderator Committees / Spider-Mod
Flag Right behind you!
Thanks Meter: 31,780

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmithfms

Crap... well does anyone know how that encyption key is generated? Like, could I theoretically get an algorithm from a ROM?

This is the riddle of the Sphinx my friend. I am sure the super devs have tried their best so far to crack it. It has been an ongoing effort to make phones more and more secure, not against the amateur developers and rooters, but against the hackers. These smartphones are now our personal computers, diaries, personal assistants, financial operator, and more. They basically are a person's (and business's) life. AT&T and Verizon have taken the big steps to appeal to the Exchange clients, corporate, government and military contracts. Even the general public want to know their phone is secure. This is what keeps me stuck on the Sprint network.
11th August 2015, 08:23 PM |#6  
Flag Grand Rapids, MI
Thanks Meter: 571

More
Have you tried Kingroot?
I successfully rooted my wife's AT&T S4 on OC3 lollipop (supposedly unrootable) with the desktop version. Mobile version didn't work but desktop did without a hiccup. Maybe it'll work on the S5.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/andr...x-5-0-t3107461

Rockin' a l337 with Goldeneye v49.1 + Wanam Xposed and loving life on AT&T's 4G LTE network
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)