New update Galaxy S5 Active

Search This thread

hdelvalle009

Jan 19, 2012
Bayamon
3672a0b350c3017739d565bb5cdac8eb.jpg

someone could tell me if I should give this update..?

just come to my active 5...

dbodom

Apr 29, 2006
Mobile, AL
Moto G 5G Plus
Just updated. New Baseband Version G870AUCU1ANG. Kernel is 3.4.0-2304514. Build Number: KOT49H.G870AUCU1ANG3. Android Version 4.4.2.

I thought this might be 4.4.4. By the way, I lost ROOT when I did this. Will have to see what is needed to restore it.

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

Just tried to re-install Towelroot. No Dice. It says the device isn't supported.....darn.

cstayton

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 5, 2011
Waite Park, MN.
Just updated. New Baseband Version G870AUCU1ANG. Kernel is 3.4.0-2304514. Build Number: KOT49H.G870AUCU1ANG3. Android Version 4.4.2.

I thought this might be 4.4.4. By the way, I lost ROOT when I did this. Will have to see what is needed to restore it.

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

Just tried to re-install Towelroot. No Dice. It says the device isn't supported.....darn.

the exploit that geohot used for towelroot has now been patched, so if you apply this update you will no longer be able to root your device. unfortunately this was bound to happen, there are a couple of apks to look for the main one to freeze or delete is the localFota.apk (i think thats the correct name) this should prevent the ota from being recieved by your device. if you are running a a custom rom (either mine or nickoftyme's) the OTA should not apply. Technically it shouldnt apply at all if you are rooted in any fashion but apparently AT&T in their infinite wisdom found away to screw with us once again.

Reactions: gregsarg

gregsarg

Apr 8, 2011
B.F.E.
Geohot did say that they were going to patch...and now it's happened...
Block those OTA's people...
We may never see root again...so thanks for nothing AT$T....

rotten azzhats...g

Reactions: GDofWR420

DanMc85

Jan 6, 2008
USA
The update installed on mine, I lost root as well even though OTA Survival Mode was turned on.

On the brightside Visual Voicemail is fixed but I want my root back.

gregsarg

Apr 8, 2011
B.F.E.
So if I turn on wifi will it update automatically? Its been asking since this morning.

Most likely yes....unless you freeze the "ATT UPDATES" apk by using titanium backup...
You may want to freeze the following as well...

Local fota
Security policy updates
Samsung push service

With those 4 frozen...you should not see an update prompt again...g

BuLLitz

Dec 4, 2010
UGH... sux.
I was hoping to root my phone tonight. I downloaded Towelroot and can open it but "Install" is not clickable.
I received the ATT update on Friday. :(

phillybits

Jun 14, 2009
I don't know about anyone else but my update came down the other day and now my wifi sucks. It connects fine, has good strength, but is slower than dirt and loading content (browser and apps) and we have @ a 65Mbps connection.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using XDA Free mobile app

Ocires

Aug 26, 2014
Like a fool, I allowed the AT&T OTA update in my Galaxy S5 Active. I lost root and towelroot would no longer work as the device was no longer supported. However, I was able to use ODIN to downgrade back to ANE4. Towelroot worked again to root my device and I was able to re-install all of my Xposed modules and most importantly Titanium Backup to freeze the OTA updates.
I did have to do a factory reset after downgrading because my stock email app repeatedly crashed afterward. But all is well with the world once again.

Reactions: gregsarg

waterfoul

Jul 7, 2010
Like a fool, I allowed the AT&T OTA update in my Galaxy S5 Active. I lost root and towelroot would no longer work as the device was no longer supported. However, I was able to use ODIN to downgrade back to ANE4. Towelroot worked again to root my device and I was able to re-install all of my Xposed modules and most importantly Titanium Backup to freeze the OTA updates.
I did have to do a factory reset after downgrading because my stock email app repeatedly crashed afterward. But all is well with the world once again.

Where did you download the ANE4 rom?

Edit: found it! http://rootzwiki.com/topic/202682-how-to-restore-your-att-s5-active/

Last edited:

rainmanpdx

Sep 1, 2014
first off I'll admit I'm as new as new can be to Android. I got an s5, rooted it in hopes of getting WiFi tethering again (after years of a jailbroke Iphone) and to get rid of the emergency number I kept butt calling. . neither of these worked for me so I went ahead and updated. it said the installation failed twice but my software is now up to date. still rooted. . not sure what is going on. I'll check for the software update again tomorrow

gregsarg

Apr 8, 2011
B.F.E.
UGH... sux.
I was hoping to root my phone tonight. I downloaded Towelroot and can open it but "Install" is not clickable.

Late to the party on this reply...but we have a fix...by pushing the stock firmware via Odin....(see above )..
That'll get you to the rootable image and allow you to freeze the update...g

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So if I turn on wifi will it update automatically? Its been asking since this morning.

Most likely yes....unless you freeze the "ATT UPDATES" apk by using titanium backup...
    You may want to freeze the following as well...

Local fota
    Security policy updates
    Samsung push service

With those 4 frozen...you should not see an update prompt again...g

Where did you download the ANE4 rom?

Edit: found it! http://rootzwiki.com/topic/202682-how-to-restore-your-att-s5-active/
    UGH... sux.

Late to the party on this reply...but we have a fix...by pushing the stock firmware via Odin....(see above )..
    That'll get you to the rootable image and allow you to freeze the update...g

the exploit that geohot used for towelroot has now been patched, so if you apply this update you will no longer be able to root your device. unfortunately this was bound to happen, there are a couple of apks to look for the main one to freeze or delete is the localFota.apk (i think thats the correct name) this should prevent the ota from being recieved by your device. if you are running a a custom rom (either mine or nickoftyme's) the OTA should not apply. Technically it shouldnt apply at all if you are rooted in any fashion but apparently AT&T in their infinite wisdom found away to screw with us once again.
    Both are there on my stock gs5 active

Seriously... I appreciate you checking it out for me.
    Thank you.