Google Maps, My Maps, YouTube, Androidify, Slides, Music Updated–Here’s What’s New

In the last few weeks, Google has been … more

SuperSU BETA: Root Android Lollipop on Stock Kernel

Up until now, if you wanted to get root on Android 5.0, you needed to flash a modified … more

Android App Review: Get Amaze with Material Design – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. Android 5.0 … more

Small But Eternal: HTC Explorer Receives Unofficial CM12

When HTC officially announced the HTC Explorer, they most likely weren’t … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Exclamation [Q] Can't turn fingerprint scanner back on after using VPN

OP PhilBxda

13th April 2014, 09:13 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
I was just getting used to the fingerprint scanner after setting up my phone and went to add my VPN connection. It seems there is a bug(feature?) where you can not enable VPN connections while using the fingerprint scanner lock screen. Why it would force you to disable a main selling point of the device to use the VPN connects is beyond me...

Aside from how strange the request was I switched to passcode lockscreen protection and was able to add a VPN connection. However, now I can not seem to turn VPN support OFF or to get the fingerprint scanner back ON. The option is grayed out in my options menu with this message "Turned off by Administrator, encryption policy or credential storage"

Any ideas? As a bonus the VPN connect did not even work! It connects perfectly from my S3, but this S5 seems to hate VPNs?
14th April 2014, 01:36 AM   |  #2  
Flag New York, NY
Thanks Meter: 25

267 posts
More
Can't speak to the built-in vpn settings, but perfectly able to use OpenVPN and fingerprint security without any problems.
14th April 2014, 01:54 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

2 posts
Thumbs up SOLVED!
Quote:
Originally Posted by quordandis

Can't speak to the built-in vpn settings, but perfectly able to use OpenVPN and fingerprint security without any problems.

I was just going to post an update saying I solved it by switching to OpenVPN. Updated my pfSense router, setup the server and exported the client file to my OpenVPN app.... Worked!

However, I still was not able to set the fingerprint lock screen back. It turns out you must delete ALL your VPN profiles(the one I had that didn't work) in the settings menu for the option to become available again. Moral is avoid the built in VPN support like the plague if you can and use OpenVPN,
14th April 2014, 01:58 AM   |  #4  
Flag New York, NY
Thanks Meter: 25

267 posts
More
But that would be true anyway OpenVPN is arguably one of the more secure VPN protocols....IPSEC is probably another good one, but with such....umm....not great implementation of it in android OS, always happier to use another very safe and secure alternative....
25th May 2014, 06:19 PM   |  #5  

1 posts
Fingerprint and VPN on S5
The answer to the original post is that Android requires a higher level of security to store secure access gateways like VPN's that could grant access to entire business data systems. Samsung rates its finger print sensor as medium. Perhaps medium might even be a step too high especially after it was fooled soon after launch with lifted fingerprints on tape and rubber blocks. Its akin to the facial recognition security option of earlier Android models that was bypassed using printed photos held up in front of the phone.

If you want a VPN in your S5, then you will have to forget fingerprint security and go for the higher level pin or password.
If you have made this mistake and ended up in this forum because your fingerprint option is now disabled, then you will have to delete all of the manual VPN's that you have entered. You then need to reboot your phone and re-check that all VPN are now missing because if you have an updated security profile, it may make the VPN profiles hidden and you will only see them on reboot.

Once the VPN profiles are all fully deleted the fingerprint option will return as a medium security.

I agree with earlier suggestions that if you want the fingerprint to work along with having VPN access, then the best option is to setup an OpenVPN connection. It works fine.
Last edited by mikecbig; 25th May 2014 at 06:25 PM. Reason: spelling
3rd June 2014, 05:42 PM   |  #6  

1 posts
Help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecbig

The answer to the original post is that Android requires a higher level of security to store secure access gateways like VPN's that could grant access to entire business data systems. Samsung rates its finger print sensor as medium. Perhaps medium might even be a step too high especially after it was fooled soon after launch with lifted fingerprints on tape and rubber blocks. Its akin to the facial recognition security option of earlier Android models that was bypassed using printed photos held up in front of the phone.

If you want a VPN in your S5, then you will have to forget fingerprint security and go for the higher level pin or password.
If you have made this mistake and ended up in this forum because your fingerprint option is now disabled, then you will have to delete all of the manual VPN's that you have entered. You then need to reboot your phone and re-check that all VPN are now missing because if you have an updated security profile, it may make the VPN profiles hidden and you will only see them on reboot.

Once the VPN profiles are all fully deleted the fingerprint option will return as a medium security.

I agree with earlier suggestions that if you want the fingerprint to work along with having VPN access, then the best option is to setup an OpenVPN connection. It works fine.

I found this post after I installed FoxFi on my Galaxy S5. I've heard that FoxFi creates a VPN, so I thought this fix might work for me. I uninstalled FoxFi and removed FoxFi's admin access then tried a reboot but I'm still not able to use the fingerprint. Do I need to do a hard reboot? Any thoughts?
21st June 2014, 03:56 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 5

33 posts
Samsung S5 solutions
I'd just like to chime in and thanks to those who suggested the change to OpenVPN. This worked:

1) Deleted current VPN
2) Change screen lock to fingerprint (or whatever you like, I suppose)
3) I changed from PPTP to OpenVPN (I use StrongVPN), downloaded their client app for Android
4) Using their client app, I can now login to VPN using OpenVPN
5) lock screen still functions as normal.

What a pain. So lucky I enabled the Samsung remote before this happened as I got a bug where the phone crashed at the PIN entry screen and I was unable to unlock the phone with the PIN. So, S5 users, do enable "Remote Control" in your settings so you can unlock your phone via internet.

Ken
27th June 2014, 06:06 PM   |  #8  

1 posts
security certificate
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggory's wardrobe

I found this post after I installed FoxFi on my Galaxy S5. I've heard that FoxFi creates a VPN, so I thought this fix might work for me. I uninstalled FoxFi and removed FoxFi's admin access then tried a reboot but I'm still not able to use the fingerprint. Do I need to do a hard reboot? Any thoughts?

If you delete/remove the security credentials it will work again. It took me a while just trying everything to get it to work again but this fixed it. You just have to do that after using VPN.
9th July 2014, 01:58 PM   |  #9  

2 posts
Question
Is there any other way to enable the finger print unlock option?

I use StrongVPN too... and I am in China right now. OpenVPN doesn't work well here somehow (confirmed by StrongVPN support staff), and it would disconnect or get no internet access randomly. I was forced to use PPTP for a more stable connection. I have set up a VPN router using the main account (PPTP now, but I am able to change it to openVPN if I want...but then it won't be stable), and I have an addon account (extra $2 per month) and it can only be PPTP (I won't be able to change it to anything else). Right now I have the addon PPTP account set up on my S5.

Basically I can only use PPTP right now. Is there any other way to enable the finger print on screen lock?
Is it a bug or done on purpose by the manufacturer? Will it be fixed in the near future?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread