Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,979 Members 45,454 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Push Notifications not working well?

Tip us?

shadowninja23
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Post [Q] Push Notifications not working well?

Hey guys, so I just got the S5 a couple of days ago and I love it. However, I'm having some problems with the push notifications of certain apps not coming through, yet they do easily on my Nexus 7. They weren't a problem on my Nexus 5, but I have no idea why it's not working properly on a brand new phone like the S5. Each of the apps, like Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to name a few, are all listed to push notifications and they're set in the main Android settings, so I have no idea. Anyone else have the same kind of issues like me?

To note, I've already factory resetted my phone several times, cleaned out the data, caches, etc and still no use. I am rooted though, but I doubt that should make a huge difference, right? And right now, I'm not using Xposed framework, but before when I first noticed the issues, I was. Thanks in advance!

raynan
Old
Thanks Meter 124
Taking a longshot here...but have you updated that Samsung Push Service app through the Play Store (and all other apps for that matter)?
SGS 5--AT&T--STOCK NO MORE! NCE EXTREME DEBLOAT!
NEXUS 5--AT&T--MULTI-ROM MYSTERY MEAT

Note II--AT&T--Note III port
SGS 2 Skyrocket--AT&T--Some AOSP project long forgotten
Atrix 4G--AT&T--The original fingerprint scanner
SGS Captivate--AT&T--Just root and heavily modded
iPhone 3G--AT&T--Jailbroken, hoping to be an Android
Nokia E61--AT&T--Burned, battered and bruised...literally
Nokia 6600--AT&T--SNAKE!!1!

shadowninja23
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynan View Post
Taking a longshot here...but have you updated that Samsung Push Service app through the Play Store (and all other apps for that matter)?
Yes, those are all updated.

eatonjb
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowninja23 View Post
Yes, those are all updated.
if you used Titatium backup to restore any apps that use push, that could be your issue. I restored facebook, instagram , snapchat etc and the push never works when i restore, you need to clear the app out, and just login new for each push app.

shadowninja23
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatonjb View Post
if you used Titatium backup to restore any apps that use push, that could be your issue. I restored facebook, instagram , snapchat etc and the push never works when i restore, you need to clear the app out, and just login new for each push app.
Yeah, I did that initially, but that was the first time I got the phone. Now, I've been clearing out the caches and data for each app, uninstalling it and reinstalling it from the Play Store, but still some of the apps don't have the push capability unless I was just in the app or still in it. Some of my problem apps are GroupMe, Snapchat and Instagram. When I had my Nexus 5, that wasn't the issue at all.

Is there anything else I can do to fix this issue?
Tags
notifications, push