XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

S5 for ATT newbish questions

Tip us?

draexo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 101
Default S5 for ATT newbish questions

I'm a current S3 Verizon owner. I'd like to switch to ATT. I'm just checking. Sounds like we have root but must use safestrap for custom ROMs. Sounds like the Active flavor is completely different firmware and has no or little support.

I'm switching due to signal at home. My friends with ATT get great signal and I get hardly any. Seems I'm in a small area with little Verizon coverage.
Current Phone: AT&T Galaxy S5 Active SM-G870A

Former Phones:
-Droid 2 (Verizon)
-Motorola Droid X (Verizon)
-Droid Bionic (Verizon)
-Galaxy S3 (Verizon)

UnhoIy
Old
Thanks Meter 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by draexo View Post
I'm a current S3 Verizon owner. I'd like to switch to ATT. I'm just checking. Sounds like we have root but must use safestrap for custom ROMs. Sounds like the Active flavor is completely different firmware and has no or little support.

I'm switching due to signal at home. My friends with ATT get great signal and I get hardly any. Seems I'm in a small area with little Verizon coverage.
If you're running your S3 with a custom ROM that's not TouchWiz based, you'll hate this phone. If you are using stock based, you'll love this phone. I, for one, decided to pass this S5 to my mother and got a Nexus 5.
Got a question? Ask one of these guys first

gregsarg
Old
Thanks Meter 3,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by draexo View Post

Very true regarding limited support for the active...
However...a better device would be tough to find IMHO...
If you are a crack flasher looking for AOSP nightly builds...then the s5 will make you wait...

I'm getting older...and wanted some mild changes....but my "new rom every night" era is over...so I decided to try the active for a while...

Your call....g
" There are Givers, and there are Takers. Be a Giver, and these things will come back to you. "......................g

And please, donate to your favorite developer...
Without them, we'd be writing on rocks with a stick...g
The Following User Says Thank You to gregsarg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thepktrckt
Old
Thanks Meter 14
I'd argue that the Active has very good support in these forums, because it is a bit of a niche phone you have very fervent owners that respond quickly to new issues. From a ROM support perspective it is limited but I'm quite happy with a ROM that is stripped of bloatware and then I tinker from there. I've owned a lot of phones and I'm quite happy with the Active, each time I try a new phone I come back to the Active. It's a bit bulkier but it just sits nice in my hand and the screen is beautiful.

Nickovtyme
Old
(Last edited by Nickovtyme; 20th August 2014 at 01:36 AM.)
Thanks Meter 231
I totally dig my S5 Active.

I'm in the process of getting my environment set up so that i can learn to build for it. I've not done it before and it'll be slow going...but I've been reading these forums for a few years and I might just he able to pull it off.

If/when the bootloader gets unlocked...the sky will be the limit.
Galaxy S5 Activate
Galaxy S5 Active

Rooted, Safestrapped and other Tweaks

It's not as custom as I would like, but for now I'll take it.

Phone Graveyard: It all started with an LG CU500 3G, Motorola Razr (remember when they were the best thing out there?), Palm Treo 750 (Windows Mobile 6.1), iPhone 3GS, Dell Streak, hTc Inspire 4G, Galaxy S3

draexo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 101
I'm holding out for the 32GB internal version. If it ever shows up!
Current Phone: AT&T Galaxy S5 Active SM-G870A

Former Phones:
-Droid 2 (Verizon)
-Motorola Droid X (Verizon)
-Droid Bionic (Verizon)
-Galaxy S3 (Verizon)