Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,052 Members 39,887 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Is the S5 worth it? I need your opinion!

Tip us?

MUFC17JW
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default [Q] Is the S5 worth it? I need your opinion!

I have a Tmobile Galaxy Note 3 unlocked which I use with AT&T.
I am debating on trading for an AT&T Galaxy S5 16 GB.
the question is.. is it worth it to do straight up swap for 16gb S5 since my Note 3 has twice the memory and more power.
Please let me know what you guys think!

lectron8
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Most definitely, I had the s3 with latest rom & I have to say this s5 kills it in battery life, speed, smoothness. Plus the camera is phenomenal. This is probably the best phone out currently. Plus we got root, the easiest ever and recovery. I have already debloated and installed V4A, PLUS most all my favorite apps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

UnhoIy
Old
Thanks Meter 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC17JW View Post
I have a Tmobile Galaxy Note 3 unlocked which I use with AT&T.
I am debating on trading for an AT&T Galaxy S5 16 GB.
the question is.. is it worth it to do straight up swap for 16gb S5 since my Note 3 has twice the memory and more power.
Please let me know what you guys think!
If I were given the chance to go back in time and remake my upgrade decision, I wouldn't have gone with the S5. I didn't do my research about the bootloader and knox, which I had no problem with on my S3, and I am now considering trading my sister for her Nexus 5.
Got a question? Ask one of these guys first

drock212
Old
Thanks Meter 167
If it had unlocked bootloader I still wouldn't go with it. I feel like Samsung is slowly turning into Apple. Giving you outdated tech and saying it's new. Why didn't they put a better processor in the phone? Why didn't they put 3GB of ram in the phone. Why only 16GB of internal space? Why so when and if they push the Galaxy S5 prime/ Galaxy F they can give you what they should of in the first place? I'm on a rooted LG G3 and I love it. Glad I picked this phone.

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

GDofWR420
Old
(Last edited by GDofWR420; 13th July 2014 at 07:34 AM.)
Thanks Meter 179
Default Re: [Q] Is the S5 worth it? I need your opinion!

Delete

abraxo
Old
Thanks Meter 11
I seriously doubt you'll actually need 3gb of ram. I understand that samsung decision to not include it when the tech is there is stupid but nonetheless, anything above the current flagship standard is frivolous (unless we suddenly reach the next generation of mobile apps and gaming). That being said, just the water resistance and battery alone is totally worth an upgrade. I've never had a phone that even comes close to the s5's battery and I've had them all from older galaxies to blackberries to iphones

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to abraxo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kettir
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Looking at the specs on Phonescoop, the note has a bigger screen and more memory, a little slower processor, not as good a camera. If camera is super important to you, you might want to switch. I'd guess the processor speed difference isn't noticeable to most. Think about it in depth before you switch. Also although the camera is better, there is still not more than 4x zoom. I love my s5 but this sounds like a really close call for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using xda premium

w7excursion
Old
Thanks Meter 150
I had the note 3 and sold it.went back to the s4 for a bit and now the s5. I think you shouldn't have any regrets after switching. Phone is tough http://bgr.com/2014/04/02/galaxy-s5-drop-test-video/
Nandroid - drank

LuckyColdJohnson
Old
Thanks Meter 409

DONATE TO ME
I would go with the S 5 Active or the HTC (M8). At least with the M8 you can unlock your bootloader and get root.
All we have for the S 5 is root and safestrap (Which is awesome) Thats all you should have for the Note 3 right?

Dont get me wrong, you will be happy with the S 5 but a lot of people are extremely happy with the HTC M8.
HTC actually had an 30% sales increase since this phone and business is looking good for them!!!

Samsung is going the wrong way in my mind. They want more corporate peeps.....

PS: I had the Note 3 before this S 5 and I like the S 5 better.
If I've helped you in anyway, please hit the "Thanks Button".