Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,079 Members 54,179 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

SGS5 16 MPixel Photos don't look that great...

Tip us?

MonarchX
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Default SGS5 16 MPixel Photos don't look that great...

Am I missing something? The photos I have seen in reviews look much better than the ones I've taken around home. They seem worse than SGS3 in terms of quality. I use Samsung's Camera App and Google Camera too, but in each case photo's lack sharpness and are quite blurry EVEN IF I use steady hands/tri-pod. I do use default settings, so maybe that's the problem. Any ideas? Is there maybe a GUIDE on how to take photographs with SGS5 or generally with SmartPhones?

Am I wrong to think that SGS5 Camera approaches level of a non-professional stand-alone digital camera? Or do average stand-alone digital cameras still outperform any smartphone camera?

mataflakitas
Old
Thanks Meter 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post
Am I missing something? The photos I have seen in reviews look much better than the ones I've taken around home. They seem worse than SGS3 in terms of quality. I use Samsung's Camera App and Google Camera too, but in each case photo's lack sharpness and are quite blurry EVEN IF I use steady hands/tri-pod. I do use default settings, so maybe that's the problem. Any ideas? Is there maybe a GUIDE on how to take photographs with SGS5 or generally with SmartPhones?

Am I wrong to think that SGS5 Camera approaches level of a non-professional stand-alone digital camera? Or do average stand-alone digital cameras still outperform any smartphone camera?

Try this camera I also think the same but this resolved my problem...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2665714

Enviado desde mi SM-G900A mediante Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to mataflakitas For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

UnhoIy
Old
Thanks Meter 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by mataflakitas View Post
Try this camera I also think the same but this resolved my problem...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2665714

Enviado desde mi SM-G900A mediante Tapatalk
Works great, but the highest resolution it supports is 13 megapixel.
Got a question? Ask one of these guys first

cmerlyn
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnhoIy View Post
Works great, but the highest resolution it supports is 13 megapixel.
I went to the county fair over the weekend, took a whole bunch of pictures with both my point-and-shoot and my S5. Used the automatic settings on the point and shoot (12 MP) and the default Samsung camera on the S5. Pretty much equal in quality, accounting for the greater number of pixels on the S5. My p&s has some really good settings in manual mode, so I will continue to use it, but I take most of my pics with the S5.

AT&T Samsung Galaxy S5, rooted, Dynamic Kat
AT&T HTC Vivid - S-Off, rooted, unlocked, KitKat 4.4
LG Optimus V - ICS, now retired as an alarm clock

GDofWR420
Old
Thanks Meter 209
S5 camera is the stuff!!! Clear as glass and sharp like a ginsu knife.:thumbup:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1407969902381.jpg - [Click for QR Code] (29.6 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 1407969915819.jpg - [Click for QR Code] (51.5 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 1407969937989.jpg - [Click for QR Code] (213.4 KB, 69 views)

Russ77
Old
Thanks Meter 119
I'd thought the same of my S4 AND S5 compared to my S3. on both newer devices, they've added a TON of settings options and a lot are defaulted on. consequently most seemed to me to result in a lower picture quality.

I make sure to turn OFF the Burst Shot, Picture Stabilization, and Selective Focus options. my satisfaction with this phones camera is much higher than the S3, and picture quality seems about as good as a similar point and shoot.

megapixels isn't everything though unless printing in native size, which most do not. I have a Nikon DSLR that's about 8 years old now, a D40. hands down it takes much better pictures, at 6mp.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Russ77 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CAG-man
Old
Thanks Meter 172

DONATE TO ME
Thank you @Russ77. I was about to comment Mega Pixels have nothing to do with image quality.

As for the image quality. The camera sensor in the S5 is as close to an SLR sensor as it can get without being one.

The S5 has shared with its predecessor, the galaxy S4, a small film on the lens with a hole in the middle. This caused focus issues on both my S4 and S5 until I removed it. It also sometimes adds a mysterious halo effect.
The CAG-MAN

AT&T G900A Galaxy S5
Rooted

AT&T I337 Galaxy S4

Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 GT-P5210
WiFi Only
CAGrom Debloated

Donations are used to acquire new equipment and devices to make CAGrom. Thank you