TWRP 2.8.3.0 Available for Supported Devices

The TeamWin Recovery Project (or TWRP, for short) has quickly become one of the most popular … more

Easily Generate and Export Material Design Palletes

For many people, it can be pretty difficult to create a palette of complementary colors. … more

Android One Expanding to Bangladesh, Nepal, and Sri Lanka

At Google I/O 2013, Google proudly announced that the Android operating system was … more

Android 5.0.2 Fixes 2012 Nexus 7! Sony’s Making a Google Glass Competitor? – XDA TV

Android 5.0.2 Lollipop is available for the … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

SGS5 16 MPixel Photos don't look that great...

OP MonarchX

13th August 2014, 04:58 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 15

328 posts
Am I missing something? The photos I have seen in reviews look much better than the ones I've taken around home. They seem worse than SGS3 in terms of quality. I use Samsung's Camera App and Google Camera too, but in each case photo's lack sharpness and are quite blurry EVEN IF I use steady hands/tri-pod. I do use default settings, so maybe that's the problem. Any ideas? Is there maybe a GUIDE on how to take photographs with SGS5 or generally with SmartPhones?

Am I wrong to think that SGS5 Camera approaches level of a non-professional stand-alone digital camera? Or do average stand-alone digital cameras still outperform any smartphone camera?
13th August 2014, 02:35 PM   |  #2  
Flag nuevo leon
Thanks Meter: 667

2,221 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchX

Am I missing something? The photos I have seen in reviews look much better than the ones I've taken around home. They seem worse than SGS3 in terms of quality. I use Samsung's Camera App and Google Camera too, but in each case photo's lack sharpness and are quite blurry EVEN IF I use steady hands/tri-pod. I do use default settings, so maybe that's the problem. Any ideas? Is there maybe a GUIDE on how to take photographs with SGS5 or generally with SmartPhones?

Am I wrong to think that SGS5 Camera approaches level of a non-professional stand-alone digital camera? Or do average stand-alone digital cameras still outperform any smartphone camera?

Try this camera I also think the same but this resolved my problem...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2665714

Enviado desde mi SM-G900A mediante Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to mataflakitas For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th August 2014, 03:45 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 124

337 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mataflakitas

Try this camera I also think the same but this resolved my problem...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2665714

Enviado desde mi SM-G900A mediante Tapatalk

Works great, but the highest resolution it supports is 13 megapixel.
13th August 2014, 07:17 PM   |  #4  
Flag Rohnert Park
Thanks Meter: 36

232 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnhoIy

Works great, but the highest resolution it supports is 13 megapixel.

I went to the county fair over the weekend, took a whole bunch of pictures with both my point-and-shoot and my S5. Used the automatic settings on the point and shoot (12 MP) and the default Samsung camera on the S5. Pretty much equal in quality, accounting for the greater number of pixels on the S5. My p&s has some really good settings in manual mode, so I will continue to use it, but I take most of my pics with the S5.
14th August 2014, 12:45 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 210

1,245 posts
More
S5 camera is the stuff!!! Clear as glass and sharp like a ginsu knife.:thumbup:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1407969902381.jpg - [Click for QR Code] (29.6 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 1407969915819.jpg - [Click for QR Code] (51.5 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 1407969937989.jpg - [Click for QR Code] (213.4 KB, 83 views)
14th August 2014, 02:49 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 119

322 posts
I'd thought the same of my S4 AND S5 compared to my S3. on both newer devices, they've added a TON of settings options and a lot are defaulted on. consequently most seemed to me to result in a lower picture quality.

I make sure to turn OFF the Burst Shot, Picture Stabilization, and Selective Focus options. my satisfaction with this phones camera is much higher than the S3, and picture quality seems about as good as a similar point and shoot.

megapixels isn't everything though unless printing in native size, which most do not. I have a Nikon DSLR that's about 8 years old now, a D40. hands down it takes much better pictures, at 6mp.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Russ77 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th August 2014, 11:01 AM   |  #7  
Flag Athens, Ohio
Thanks Meter: 245

331 posts
Donate to Me
More
Thank you @Russ77. I was about to comment Mega Pixels have nothing to do with image quality.

As for the image quality. The camera sensor in the S5 is as close to an SLR sensor as it can get without being one.

The S5 has shared with its predecessor, the galaxy S4, a small film on the lens with a hole in the middle. This caused focus issues on both my S4 and S5 until I removed it. It also sometimes adds a mysterious halo effect.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread