Softbricked AT&T Galaxy S5

Search This thread

Bogiemaker

May 2, 2009
I purchased a soft bricked sm-g900a phone off of Ebay with the idea of using Odin to reflash and recover the phone. Since the phone was purchased soft bricked I do not have a history on what firmware was running on the phone or what the previous owner flashed that may have caused the phone not to boot to the OS or into recovery. I am assuming the previous owner was on 5.0 and tried to downgrade and ran into problems.

Short description of the current state of the phone:
1. Phone will boot into Odin Mode and can be flashed using Odin.
2. Phone will start to boot to recovery but sticks at "Recovery Booting. . . ." and reboots after about 30 seconds
3. Phone boots to Samsung logo and reboots after about 30 seconds.

What works:
Using Odin I can flash the following without errors: After flashing the phone exhibits the behavior above.
  1. G900A_OC4_Stock_Kernel.tar.md5,
  2. G900A_OA1_Stock_Kernel.tar.md5
  3. G900A_OC4_Stock_Modem.tar.md5,
  4. G900A_OC4_Stock_Partitions.tar.md5
  5. G900AUCU3BOC4_OneClick..exe - reboots to recovery and "Recovery Booting. . . ."
  6. I can flash SM-G900A_pit.pit with Odin 3.07 but not 3.09 or 3.10.

What does not work.
Tried flashing G900A_Downgrade_to_NCE.tar.md5 - Odin reports error
<ID:0/005> system.img.ext4
<ID:0/005> FAIL! (Auth)
Phone reports errors
SYS REV CHECK FAIL :Refer 2> Binary 1
SECURE CHECK FAIL : System

Tried flashing SM-G900A 4.4.2 G900AUCU1ANCE Firmware - AP_G900AUCU1ANCE_964333_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 in AP slot
Same errors as above .

Tried to use Kies to recover the phone. It goes through the process of recovering with 4.4.2 and crashes about the same place flashing wit Odin does.

I assume if I could get into recovery to do a factory wipe I would be able to get the phone to boot. I have read multiple forum posts and blogs on getting the bricked phone to work where most recommend flashing G900A_Downgrade_to_NCE.tar.md5 and then if you can't get into recovery to flash either G900A_OC4_Stock_Kernel.tar.md5 or G900A_OA1_Stock_Kernel.tar.md5 and then you should be able to get into recovery. This of course has not worked for me.

Does anyone have any idea how I might go about getting this phone to boot into recovery? Also is it possible to have the local AT&T store re flash 5.0 on the phone.

I know it is a risk buying soft bricked phones but I sure would not like to have an expensive paper weight.

Rakuu

Jun 16, 2014
Houston
I purchased a soft bricked sm-g900a phone off of Ebay with the idea of using Odin to reflash and recover the phone. Since the phone was purchased soft bricked I do not have a history on what firmware was running on the phone or what the previous owner flashed that may have caused the phone not to boot to the OS or into recovery. I am assuming the previous owner was on 5.0 and tried to downgrade and ran into problems.

2. Phone will start to boot to recovery but sticks at "Recovery Booting. . . ." and reboots after about 30 seconds

What works:
Using Odin I can flash the following without errors: After flashing the phone exhibits the behavior above.
  5. G900AUCU3BOC4_OneClick..exe - reboots to recovery and "Recovery Booting. . . ."

What does not work.
Phone reports errors

Tried flashing SM-G900A 4.4.2 G900AUCU1ANCE Firmware - AP_G900AUCU1ANCE_964333_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5 in AP slot
Same errors as above .

Tried to use Kies to recover the phone. It goes through the process of recovering with 4.4.2 and crashes about the same place flashing wit Odin does.

I assume if I could get into recovery to do a factory wipe I would be able to get the phone to boot. I have read multiple forum posts and blogs on getting the bricked phone to work where most recommend flashing G900A_Downgrade_to_NCE.tar.md5 and then if you can't get into recovery to flash either G900A_OC4_Stock_Kernel.tar.md5 or G900A_OA1_Stock_Kernel.tar.md5 and then you should be able to get into recovery. This of course has not worked for me.

Does anyone have any idea how I might go about getting this phone to boot into recovery? Also is it possible to have the local AT&T store re flash 5.0 on the phone.

I know it is a risk buying soft bricked phones but I sure would not like to have an expensive paper weight.

Its hard to tell what version it was on previously since recovery wont even boot, but from how its acting i'd say it was on LP and bricked for a KK flash, so you flashing NCE(Kitkat) is doing zilch. Seeing as there is no option for you to root, and im assuming you arent interested in that anyway, i would just take it to bestbuy or the att store and get them to reflash it, just say you got it off ebay and it was like that.

Sent from my Tw5ted SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bogiemaker

Bogiemaker

May 2, 2009
I took the phone to BestBuy and the guy there flashed it with 5.0.1 with the same results. Boots to the Recovery Booting. . . . screen for about 30 seconds and then reboots. My daughter is taking it to an AT&T repair center to see if they have any better luck.

Bogiemaker

May 2, 2009
Boot image. Not sure which file you are talking about.
Could you give me a little more information or a link to the file?

*FaNDroID*

Aug 5, 2015
Re: Softbricked AT&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;T Galaxy S5

If you have the oc4 update zip, in the zip should be a boot image, create an md5 tar file from it then flash in AP. If that doesn't work, you flashed a bad kernel and may have to use jtag to fully recover. Or bring it to a repair facility to have them do it.

Last edited:

Bogiemaker

May 2, 2009
My daughter took the phone to an AT&T repair center and they also could not successfully flash the phone. The only OC4 update i have found is the G900AUCU3BOC4_OneClick..exe update and I do not believe I can extract the boot image from that update. Is there another source of the OC4 update available where I could obtain the boot image.

Thanks for the help everyone.

jebep

Sep 23, 2008

What works:

What does not work.
Phone reports errors

Same errors as above .

Hello! OP...are you still around?
Did you ever recover this phone?
I was in the same situation...maybe worse...and I was finally able to recover it.
Please let me know what happened with yours?
THANKS!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

What works:

What does not work.
    Phone reports errors

Same errors as above .

Its hard to tell what version it was on previously since recovery wont even boot, but from how its acting i'd say it was on LP and bricked for a KK flash, so you flashing NCE(Kitkat) is doing zilch. Seeing as there is no option for you to root, and im assuming you arent interested in that anyway, i would just take it to bestbuy or the att store and get them to reflash it, just say you got it off ebay and it was like that.

Sent from my Tw5ted SM-G900A using Tapatalk