Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,870 Members 50,740 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

UPDATE: Online petition to att to unlock bootloaders

Tip us?

GDofWR420
Old
(Last edited by GDofWR420; 8th July 2014 at 08:48 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 132
Default UPDATE: Online petition to att to unlock bootloaders

Well sitting around today I figured I would e-mail samsung about the locked bootloader and how that would eventually kill off sales for those in the know on Modding, development and wanting ultimate control of there device. So I would suggest anyone who cares to should do the same. I think if we show them the love we have for Samsung devices as a community maybe they will rethink their strategy and start giving their fans what they want, and that is options, unlimited options to flash and mod the way we want. I mean heck isn't that what google released android for was to be open sourced. So please take time to send samsung an e-mail and voice your support to stop locking bootloaders and unlock our locked ones, cause we all know it's easier for them to do it and just pass it on to us than for a dev to do it and get nothing but thanks when I reality samsung should send him a check, but we know that won't happen.
UPDATE: Link to online petition below please sign and tell your friends. Also petition is linked to c.e.o. Randall Stephenson @ rs2982@att.com so he will know of every signature we gain. So come on and let's try to get our device the freedom it and we deserve.

https://www.change.org/petitions/at-...t_created=true

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

shortydoggg
Old
Thanks Meter 257
Samsung does not insist on locking the bootloaders. The carriers do. That's why both AT&T and Verizon bootloaders are lock, while Sprint and Tmobile and not. AT&T and Verizon's locked bootloaders have not dropped Samsung sales below that rival company, who leaves their bootloaders to be unlocked by the customer on that special webstite, whose sales of their top selling phone are fading based on what I am reading.

GDofWR420
Old
(Last edited by GDofWR420; 8th July 2014 at 08:38 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 132
Did not know that. you would think samsung would be like "hey att don't do that people want access not restrictions" but like you said if the device is a top seller I guess on their end there is no reason to conform to what smaller groups of people like us think the state of the phone upon release should be. Well I'll send att an e-mail to might not do any good but I would like to try. Again if you support this send them(samsung, att, verizon, etc.) an e-mail and voice your response. Tell them we want freedom not a locked down p.o.s.

GDofWR420
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 132
Come on folks let's make this happen. Petition linked also to Google and samsung. STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT IT AND SIGN THIS THING. MAYBE IF IF WE STIR UP THE POT WE CAN GET SOME RESULTS. PLEASE DON'T LET MY EFFORTS BE WAISTED FOR NOTHING WE CAN DO THIS.

shortydoggg
Old
Thanks Meter 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDofWR420 View Post
Come on folks let's make this happen. Petition linked also to Google and samsung. STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT IT AND SIGN THIS THING. MAYBE IF IF WE STIR UP THE POT WE CAN GET SOME RESULTS. PLEASE DON'T LET MY EFFORTS BE WAISTED FOR NOTHING WE CAN DO THIS.

You must be new to this forum. They already have a petition for this, but maybe not to the CEO. It has not accomplished anything.

http://www.change.org/petitions/rand...r-upon-request

It received less than 500 signatures before there was any root, then once we finally got root, pretty much all support just stopped.

GDofWR420
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortydoggg View Post
You must be new to this forum. They already have a petition for this, but maybe not to the CEO. It's been going nowhere.

http://www.change.org/petitions/rand...r-upon-request

It received less than 500 signatures before there was any root, then once we finally got root, pretty much all support just stopped.
Thanks for swift kick in the nuts pal. Lol. New to s5 forum not xda. Well I'm trying spent all day on this so please at least take five minutes to sign it. In the time it takes to post here that's another signature we could have. Even if nothing happens at least pledge to switch to a less b.s. carrier. If anything declining profit margins should have some effect, at least you'd think.

Intub8
Old
Thanks Meter 196
I personally received a cease and desist letter for harassing the ceo's secretary about the locked bootloader on my LG g2. The bottom line is 5% or less modify their phones.1% will actually complain about it and I would bet less than 20% of that 1 percent would actually write a letter. Att doesn't care about the opinions of .20% of its customer base. The only way to get this to work is to unite across all devices with locked bootloader's on at&t.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium HD app
The Following User Says Thank You to Intub8 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GDofWR420
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intub8 View Post
I personally received a cease and desist letter for harassing the ceo's secretary about the locked bootloader on my LG g2. The bottom line is 5% or less modify their phones.1% will actually complain about it and I would bet less than 20% of that 1 percent would actually write a letter. Att doesn't care about the opinions of .20% of its customer base. The only way to get this to work is to unite across all devices with locked bootloader's on at&t.

So fight back. Sim unlock, switch carriers and stick it to the man. That's the only way I can think of getting our point across, falling short of waiting out your contract or paying ETF's(if u have good credit, I dont.lol). If I have to starting tomorrow I will reach out to other att customers with other models with Locked bootloaders. This needs to happen regardless what majority we are, we spent damn hard earned money for open source OS not a closed one and why should it be left up to someone here on xda or another dev site to unlock this mess.

Intub8
Old
Thanks Meter 196
I do stick it to the man, the man keeps giving me free stuff. The last phone I bought was the LG g2. After a few weeks I had a bad pixel so they gave me a brand new note 3. A month after that I talked them into a free galaxy gear. When the boredom kicked in I got "the man" to take the note 3 back and send me a good flex. I sold the watch. In June I once again told them I wasn't happy with the flex so they told me to pick any phone I wanted, I chose this phone. Now it is aggravating and I probably wasted hours of my time harassing them but it pays off.

The Following User Says Thank You to Intub8 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GDofWR420
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intub8 View Post
I do stick it to the man, the man keeps giving me free stuff. The last phone I bought was the LG g2. After a few weeks I had a bad pixel so they gave me a brand new note 3. A month after that I talked them into a free galaxy gear. When the boredom kicked in I got "the man" to take the note 3 back and send me a good flex. I sold the watch. In June I once again told them I wasn't happy with the flex so they told me to pick any phone I wanted, I chose this phone. Now it is aggravating and I probably wasted hours of my time harassing them but it pays off.

Love it. Take them for all you can cause they sure love to do it to us. Toss your John Hancock on it if you don't mind, I'm not going to admit defeat yet. Tomorrow I will look up att models with Locked bootloaders and try to reach out to their community for signatures.