[Q] Do I want to root, debloat, or do I need one to do the other?

29th August 2014, 09:18 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

8 posts
More
I'm not as tech savvy as most of you, but I'm motivated because 1)I just can't stand buying something outright, then having someone else tell me how I can use it, and 2) I follow directions well.
I mostly use my phone to game and as a personal data assistant, with some web searching and very light Facebooking. I don't use ANY of the beaming/dongle/att suite/Samsung Suite, at all.
I got here because I use Clean Master, and it shows me constantly using in excess of 84% RAM, even though I've 'turned off' 63 force loaded apps. 63! And it keeps trying to force download stuff I've turned off. I'm ready to sail this freaking ad-machine into a wall.
So, do I want to root it and use a custom ROM, debloat it, or do I need to do one to do the other? I've done a lot of reading, and there is a ton of info, but it seems to be what to do after this decision point. If I root, does that wipe my phone, or does that happen when I install the custom ROM? Is there someone here who can walk me through it, or point me in the right direction?
Thanks in advance for dealing with 'Mr. Newbtastic.'
30th August 2014, 08:51 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 123

337 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamchak

I'm not as tech savvy as most of you, but I'm motivated because 1)I just can't stand buying something outright, then having someone else tell me how I can use it, and 2) I follow directions well.
I mostly use my phone to game and as a personal data assistant, with some web searching and very light Facebooking. I don't use ANY of the beaming/dongle/att suite/Samsung Suite, at all.
I got here because I use Clean Master, and it shows me constantly using in excess of 84% RAM, even though I've 'turned off' 63 force loaded apps. 63! And it keeps trying to force download stuff I've turned off. I'm ready to sail this freaking ad-machine into a wall.
So, do I want to root it and use a custom ROM, debloat it, or do I need to do one to do the other? I've done a lot of reading, and there is a ton of info, but it seems to be what to do after this decision point. If I root, does that wipe my phone, or does that happen when I install the custom ROM? Is there someone here who can walk me through it, or point me in the right direction?
Thanks in advance for dealing with 'Mr. Newbtastic.'

All that searching and found nothing for such a popular group of questions.

You can force stop most of the Samsung bloat ware and disable it, but to fully get rid of it you need to root. How you get rid of it is a different question. 1) manually going through system files and deleting the apk and shtuff, 2) invest in titanium backup pro to freeze the apps, or uninstall them, 3) a popular choice, probably the easiest; flash a pre-debloated ROM, and surely you know how to search so thoroughly to find those.

Rooting does not wipe the device. Installing Safestrap, the only recovery available, does not wipe the device. Installing Xposed and its many modules does not wipe the device. Going into Safestrap recovery, selecting wipe, and factory resetting the device...will wipe the device...and is forcefully suggested by all ROM makers so that you can get a clean install... on a wiped device. Factory resetting is the default option and normally the only one needed for a clean install, and it will not touch your extSDcard, or all those precious pictures and songs that fill your device.

Of course, no one would flash a ROM so often if there was no way to back up all your apps and games and level 80 dark elf, which is exactly what Titanium backup is for. Buy the pro key and you don't have to individually backup or restore any app or data.

This pretty much rounded all bases.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UnhoIy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th August 2014, 02:16 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

8 posts
More
Thank you very much. There's a Q&A post (and I read all 28 pages of it), but it seemed to deal with what happens after my question. Your answer is extremely helpful for those of us with less technical knowledge. Thanks, again!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kamchak For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th August 2014, 06:02 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 123

337 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamchak

Thank you very much. There's a Q&A post (and I read all 28 pages of it), but it seemed to deal with what happens after my question. Your answer is extremely helpful for those of us with less technical knowledge. Thanks, again!

If no one asked questions, there'd be no answers. Glad to help 👍
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread

Top Threads in AT&T Galaxy S5 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank