Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,803 Members 36,959 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Bootloader & ROM trouble. Please Help :((

Tip us?

vansslamcityjam
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Bootloader & ROM trouble. Please Help :((

So im fairly new to unlocking, flashing, etc. I have a HTC One M8 for AT&T that im trying to unlock to use with different carriers. After reading a bit I realized that I had to unlock my bootloader, root, install s-off before I could achieve my goal. I used htc-one.wonderhowto. com/how-to/unlock-bootloader-root-your-htc-one-m8-0154444 to root and unlock my bootloader. Followed the guide to a T and all was fine. Then I was going for S-Off and here's where I encounters my problems. I used htc-one.wonderhowto. com/how-to/get-s-off-your-htc-one-m8-install-custom-firmware-mods-0154461 guide and this is where I believe I fudged up bad. Step one says to download InsertCoin from insertcoin-roms. org/category/devices/onem8 this link. I downloaded the OTA 4.0.6 to 4.0.7 and saved it onto my phone I think maybe I should of downloaded the link for the full ROM and that's why im having this problem but im not sure. I followed each step with the exception to Step 3 which is also where I fudged up. I didnt back up because I didnt think it was needed since the phone was just wiped clean of everything. At step 5 my life changed forever..lol.. but when I flashed it , it said failure. I tried to follow the steps again but it kept failing to flash. So I went back and tried to re-flash SuperSU which was successful but when I go to reboot it from TWRP it says I have no OS installed and it gets stuck on the HTC boot screen unless I put my phone into fastboot mode. Which says ***unnlocked*** and ***tampered*** at the top and im stuck. Please someone help me and tell me what to do.

Cdub5
Old
Thanks Meter 22
I recently deleted my OS by my stupidity. I fixed the issue by side loading a stock Rom via adb/twrp sideload. Saved me. There are tutorials on how to do this. Just Google search. You could also put a stock Rom on an external sd and flash that way. Don't have a link to the stock Rom I used, but it's in the resources thread in general section. Hope this works for ya

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

redpoint73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansslamcityjam View Post
I downloaded the OTA 4.0.6 to 4.0.7 and saved it onto my phone I think maybe I should of downloaded the link for the full ROM
The file you downloaded is if you were already on InsertCoin 4.0.6, and updating to version 4.0.7, which was not the case for you. You should have downloaded the full ROM, and that is likely why the flash failed.

If you ever have any doubt about what you are flashing, this should be a red flag to STOP and either read and research some more, or come on here and ask.

Quote:
I didnt back up because I didnt think it was needed since the phone was just wiped clean of everything.
That is why you make a TWRP backup before wiping anything.

Quote:
So I went back and tried to re-flash SuperSU which was successful but when I go to reboot it from TWRP it says I have no OS installed and it gets stuck on the HTC boot screen unless I put my phone into fastboot mode. .
Did you specifically wipe system in TWRP? If so, that is where the OS is stored, so of course wiping it means you have no OS.

I do not advocate wiping system when flashing ROM, especially if you are new to this. Reason being, it already gets wiped when you flash a ROM anyway (so its redundant). Also, if the ROM fails to flash, you will still have a working OS if you did not wipe system manually. As stated on the wipe screen in TWRP, the default wipe (data, cache, and Dalvik) is all that is usually needed. It says this for good reason.

All you need to do is download a ROM to your computer, and either adb push to the phone, sideload flash, or copy it to a removeable MicroSD card using a USB card reader. Then flash in TWRP.
Please click the "Thanks" button if you found a post helpful!

Phone: AT&T HTC One (M8)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (WiFi only)