Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,588 Members 47,403 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

at&t will NOT S-off!!

Tip us?

schollianmj
Old
(Last edited by schollianmj; 12th August 2014 at 12:17 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 85
Default at&t will NOT S-off!!

So I have been fighting with my phone all freaking day and am ready to toss on the towel... I have been rocking Viper rom 1.8.0 for a couple months now and today they updated to the new 4.4.3 base. it was suggested rather strongly to update framework to 2.22.401.4. I am still on 1.54..... And here begins my saga....

I tried to update the framework with FUU, and it constantly fails out at the black screen with silver HTC logo. it was suggested that this is because I am still S-ON. so I went to the firewater thread and tried that. would NOT do anything untill I went away from Viper Rom and loaded Insert Coin rom. Firewater ran, but gave me a message stating that it is not possible to S-OFF my phone...

So I ask, HELP!!!!!!! I read about sunshine, but sadly right no I simply don't have 25 bucks to toss at an app that I do not know will work on my phone...

Ok, so I just read a different thread in the general section that states that firewater is no longer working... damn. looks like on payday I gotta drop 25 bucks....
HTC One M8 on AT&T. Rooted,S-Off Unlocked. currently runing someones ROM.... it changes so often....

I served in, and support, the US Military. Do you?

"Every night millions of people go to sleep at night and wonder if they made a difference. US Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Reagan

cachookaman
Old
Thanks Meter 38
I paid for SunShine last night since firewater wouldn't work for me

hieuman
Old
Thanks Meter 18
i ended up just paying for sunshine.

BR7fan
Old
Thanks Meter 45

DONATE TO ME
Like the others, I had to use sunshine. The other methods would not work for me.

irshansk
Old
(Last edited by irshansk; 12th August 2014 at 06:23 AM.)
Thanks Meter 20
AT&T 4.4.3 is available now?
Where I can find firmware?

UPD:
Sorry, now I see that it is was a custom 4.4.3 rom.

redpoint73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by schollianmj View Post
Ok, so I just read a different thread in the general section that states that firewater is no longer working... damn. looks like on payday I gotta drop 25 bucks....
Its true more recent AT&T M8's do not work with firewater. Not sure if its directly linked to newer firmware number (1.58) or hboot, or some other factor, but its been reported by many here. Sunshine is your only real option.

Sunshine seems pretty darn reliable based on reports here. I don't think there is an issue with it not working like firewater.

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

Quote:
I tried to update the framework with FUU, and it constantly fails out at the black screen with silver HTC logo. it was suggested that this is because I am still S-ON.
Seeing as there is no 2.22 firmware "officially" available for the AT&T version yet, you must be trying flash another carrier's firmware. In that case, yes S-off is expressly required.
Please click the "Thanks" button if you found a post helpful!

Phone: AT&T HTC One (M8)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (WiFi only)

ArtificialMusik
Old
Thanks Meter 75

DONATE TO ME
I got a refurb unit to replace my old phone that I had S-OFF and Bootloader unlocked... Unfortunately, It wasn't a lack of skill this last time, but the exploit used by firewater is out dated now. For whatever reason they haven't updated it since the phone's release so now everyone is left to pay for SunShine. I paid for it. It works, and great. Just the $25 dollars.. It was unfortunate.
AT&T HTC One M8 Gunmetal 32GB:
ROM: ViperOne

Phone/TAB History:
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note II 16GB
HP Touchpad 32GB
Apple iPhone 4 32GB Black: Dead.
Samsung Galaxy S II: Charge problem.
Apple iPad 2 32GB WiFi: Sold
Samsung Galaxy S Captivate: Sold
AT&T HTC Fuze: Unlocked, Own.
Apple iPad 32GB WiFi: Sold
Apple iPhone 3G(S) 32GB Black: Sold; Unlocked
Apple iPhone 3G 16GB Black: Traded.

an0ther
Old
Thanks Meter 194
Quote:
So I have been fighting with my phone all freaking day and am ready to toss on the towel... I have been rocking Viper rom 1.8.0 for a couple months now and today they updated to the new 4.4.3 base. it was suggested rather strongly to update framework to 2.22.401.4. I am still on 1.54..... And here begins my saga....

I tried to update the framework with FUU, and it constantly fails out at the black screen with silver HTC logo. it was suggested that this is because I am still S-ON. so I went to the firewater thread and tried that. would NOT do anything untill I went away from Viper Rom and loaded Insert Coin rom. Firewater ran, but gave me a message stating that it is not possible to S-OFF my phone...

So I ask, HELP!!!!!!! I read about sunshine, but sadly right no I simply don't have 25 bucks to toss at an app that I do not know will work on my phone...

First of all you need stock kernel for firewater or sunshine to work. Both of the roms you suggested have insecure kernel. I would flash your nandroid backup and try again, or ruu and try again. It has to do with when your phone was built if firewater will or will not work. Ive seen at&t with 1.12 fresh out of the box not accept firewater.

noobsquared
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by an0ther View Post
First of all you need stock kernel for firewater or sunshine to work. Both of the roms you suggested have insecure kernel. I would flash your nandroid backup and try again, or ruu and try again. It has to do with when your phone was built if firewater will or will not work. Ive seen at&t with 1.12 fresh out of the box not accept firewater.
Those are some solid words and that right there is your answer. I hope you get it resolved. The way I look at it, $25 is a small fee to be on the safe side or you can have more issues and a lot of headache if firewater doesn't work and you have to buy sunshine.

schollianmj
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobsquared View Post
Those are some solid words and that right there is your answer. I hope you get it resolved. The way I look at it, $25 is a small fee to be on the safe side or you can have more issues and a lot of headache if firewater doesn't work and you have to buy sunshine.
Well, I restored my stock nandroid (that was what I tried first. ) and finaly got it S-Offed with sunshine. yay! granted I forgot that the account that is linked to my paypal account only had about 10 bucks in it, so after the overdraft fee sunshine cost me around 60 bucks!

But oh well. Im now S-OFF, and got the 2.22.xxx firmware flashed and am now rocking 4.4.3 ROM Viper 2.0.1.
HTC One M8 on AT&T. Rooted,S-Off Unlocked. currently runing someones ROM.... it changes so often....

I served in, and support, the US Military. Do you?

"Every night millions of people go to sleep at night and wonder if they made a difference. US Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Reagan