FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Phone/texts work, no data. help pleasee

666 posts
Thanks Meter: 172

By Coffinfeeder, Senior Member on 27th May 2015, 11:41 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Yesterday I traded for an AT&T m8. The person failed to tell me that the phone was rooted and a custom ROM was installed, I found this out while I was in the ATT store getting a SIM for it and I seen TWRP flash across the screen when the sales rep rebooted it.

Voice calls work and texts are fine, I haven't tried an MMS but I'm assuming it won't work. As for my data, it shows the bars on the top and they even change to reflect signal strength, but there is no AT&T symbol and there is no mobile connection.

I snapped some screen shots of the ROM and any other info I thought might be of help. I've tried a few AT&T APNs that I looked up and none seem to change anything. A factory reset results in the (seemingly) correct APNs for AT&T .

Any help would be much appreciated, and I'm sorry if this topic has been covered before (I'm sure it has). I searched for a couple hours last night and couldn't find a solution. The phone appears to be rooted with s-off.

28th May 2015, 04:37 PM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 5,362

More
What radio baseband, and what are the APN settings you have tried?
28th May 2015, 11:09 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Pittsburgh

More
How do I check what radio is on it? Ive tried 1 or 2 APNs it doesn't seem like an APN issue.. it could be the radio.

name: ATT Phone?
Apn: phone
Proxy?: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
Mms proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
Mms port: 80
Mms protocal: wap 2.0
Mcc 310
Mnc 410
Apn type: default,mms,supl,hipri,fota
Apn protocal: ipv4
Apn roaming: ipv4
Bearer: unspecified

Also I downloaded one of the AT&T radios and tried installing it through TWRP but it just spit back an error message. It was a .img file
28th May 2015, 11:17 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Pittsburgh

More
I just used a cid finding app and apparently the phone has a T-Mobile cid right now, not sure if that makes a difference or not
29th May 2015, 03:19 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Pittsburgh

More
I updated the cid to supercid and no longer T-Mobile. Here's a screen shot of some recovery info and the radio .. not sure if its AT&T or not.

29th May 2015, 03:20 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Pittsburgh

More
Any help would be very much appreciated, having no data sucks outside of home (
29th May 2015, 03:22 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Pittsburgh

More
Any time I click mobile data on from the notifications tray it automatically says "disconnected because service is unavailable" by default underneath.
29th May 2015, 03:35 PM |#8  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 5,362

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffinfeeder

How do I check what radio is on it? Ive tried 1 or 2 APNs it doesn't seem like an APN issue.. it could be the radio.

name: ATT Phone?
Apn: phone
Proxy?: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
Mms proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
Mms port: 80
Mms protocal: wap 2.0
Mcc 310
Mnc 410
Apn type: default,mms,supl,hipri,fota
Apn protocal: ipv4
Apn roaming: ipv4
Bearer: unspecified

What I have is slightly different, and what I have matches what is listed here: http://www.att.com/esupport/article....B424489&cv=820

Although I'm not sure if this is the problem, and I'll get to that in a bit . . .

Quote:

Also I downloaded one of the AT&T radios and tried installing it through TWRP but it just spit back an error message. It was a .img file

The radio .img files are flashed in adb. It has to be a flashable zip to flash in recovery.

---------- Post added at 09:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 AM ----------

Quote:

I just used a cid finding app and apparently the phone has a T-Mobile cid right now, not sure if that makes a difference or not

CID is just a check that HTC uses when installing official software updates, etc.

CID does not affect service with your carrier.

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 AM ----------

Your radio number corresponds to Android 4.4.4 (KitKat) firmware. Incompatibility between the KitKat radio and the current Lollipop ROM may be the cause for no data.

My recommendation would be to run the Lollipop AT&T RUU, which will put you on all AT&T software, including the stock AT&T ROM, radio, and all other partitions. Its a complete stock software image. So if software is at all the reason for your data problem, the RUU should solve it. Instruction and download for the RUU are listed near the bottom of the following webpage (PC required): http://www.htc.com/us/support/htc-one-m8-att/news/

No need to relock the bootloader to run RUU, since your phone is s-off.

However, the MID needs to match for the AT&T model in order to run this RUU. Since the CID was changed to T-Mobile, I suspect the MID may also have been changed. Best was to check is adb command: adb getvar all

If you post the getvar output, be sure to delete the IMEI and serial number. These are personal info, and should never be posted online.

SuperCID will be okay to run the RUU. So no need to change that.

Also bear in mind that the RUU will wipe user data, so back anything you want to keep.

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

Also, are you sure the phone is originally the AT&T version? If it is, it would have the AT&T "globe" logo on the back. I believe the phone is either an AT&T model that the previous user tried to "convert" to T-Mobile and did a botched (incomplete) job as the radio is AT&T; or else its a T-Mobile version that was converted for use on AT&T's network.

The T-Mob version does not have any carrier branding on the back.

Also, when you do adb getvar all the product name will also help determine what "original" version the phone was.
30th May 2015, 01:58 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Pittsburgh

More
Here is the getvar. I may try the RUU as long as you guys say it'll be gtg. Thanks for the help so far redpoint.

30th May 2015, 01:59 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Pittsburgh

More
Also, the phone is AT&T branded on the back
30th May 2015, 02:39 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Pittsburgh

More
Update: I tried installing the ATT radio from this thread using the oemRUU adb method. It seemed to have installed fine, data still broken though.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2736921
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)