Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,211 Members 53,252 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Question about s-off m8?

Tip us?

patstar5
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Question about s-off m8?

If the bootloader is locked, htc stock recovery is installed, and phone is not rooted but it is s-off, will the phone function normally? Like receive Ota from htc and behave like a brand new out of the box unmodified htc one m8? Planning on selling it so I want to know.

Sent from my Oneplus One using XDA Free mobile app

Wonders_Never_Cease
Old
Thanks Meter 497

DONATE TO ME
Shouldnt be an issue as long as completely stock rom/recovery

redpoint73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,986
If any system files were altered with root, they need to be restored to stock to get OTA. RUU (available for AT&T version) back to stock is probably the best way to get it close to stock as possible.

Also, you need to tell the buyer the phone is s-off, as selling an s-off phone to an unsuspecting buyer is not a good idea (also that it was bootloader unlocked, even if returned to LOCKED).
Please click the "Thanks" button if you found a post helpful!

Phone: AT&T HTC One (M8)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (WiFi only)

patstar5
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73 View Post
If any system files were altered with root, they need to be restored to stock to get OTA. RUU (available for AT&T version) back to stock is probably the best way to get it close to stock as possible.

Also, you need to tell the buyer the phone is s-off, as selling an s-off phone to an unsuspecting buyer is not a good idea (also that it was bootloader unlocked, even if returned to LOCKED).
Well I restored to htc sense nandroid and reset the phone. Only thing is the software buttons are stock android and not htc. It is unrooted and the bootloader saids locked not relocked. It is still s-off I didn't want to do ruu because if everything is not 100% stock the phone could brick

Sent from my Oneplus One using XDA Free mobile app.

redpoint73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by patstar5 View Post
It is still s-off I didn't want to do ruu because if everything is not 100% stock the phone could brick
Where did you hear that? I do not think that is true.

patstar5
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Where did you hear that? I do not think that is true.
I heard that if it was not 100% stock it would through a red flag..... Or maybe that was turning it s-on? Well I have it listed on eBay already. Everything is stock except software buttons for some reason

redpoint73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,986
Quote:
I heard that if it was not 100% stock it would through a red flag..... Or maybe that was turning it s-on?
Its not true. You can RUU away. It returns everything to stock except S-off, and UNLOCKED, RELOCKED banner.

patstar5
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Its not true. You can RUU away. It returns everything to stock except S-off, and UNLOCKED, RELOCKED banner.
Cam you do ruu rooted and unrooted? The bootloader is locked.

redpoint73
Old
(Last edited by redpoint73; 22nd August 2014 at 02:35 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,986
Quote:
Cam you do ruu rooted and unrooted? The bootloader is locked.
Doesn't matter if the phone is rooted or not, the RUU will still run.

Bootloader needs to be locked or relocked for the RUU to run, unless you are s-off (RUU will not run with bootloader unlocked).

Of course, the RUU also needs to be the right carrier version (CID), and you can't "downgrade" or run a former RUU version than is on the phone (these restrictions are also bypassed by s-off).

Those are basically the only restrictions on running RUU.

There have been some isolated incidents on other devices where mods caused issues with RUU; so this may be what you have read. For instance, on the One X (EVITA) the Jellybean RUU bricked the device if SuperCID was present and S-on. But this was a bug, and not typical of how RUU works (basically a rare exception to the rule). I haven't heard of any such thing on the M8.

Or you may be thinking of OTA, which is a completely different case. For OTA, stock recovery needs to be present, and if any system files were altered by root, OTA will not install (although presence of root itself will not cause it to fail). AFAIK from reports here, OTA will install whether the bootloader is locked or not.

patstar5
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Doesn't matter if the phone is rooted or not, the RUU will still run.

Bootloader needs to be locked or relocked for the RUU to run, unless you are s-off (RUU will not run with bootloader unlocked).

Of course, the RUU also needs to be the right carrier version (CID), and you can't "downgrade" or run a former RUU version than is on the phone (these restrictions are also bypassed by s-off).

Those are basically the only restrictions on running RUU.

There have been some isolated incidents on other devices where mods caused issues with RUU; so this may be what you have read. For instance, on the One X (EVITA) the Jellybean RUU bricked the device if SuperCID was present and S-on. But this was a bug, and not typical of how RUU works (basically a rare exception to the rule). I haven't heard of any such thing on the M8.

Or you may be thinking of OTA, which is a completely different case. For OTA, stock recovery needs to be present, and if any system files were altered by root, OTA will not install (although presence of root itself will not cause it to fail). AFAIK from reports here, OTA will install whether the bootloader is locked or not.
OK, where do I get the ruu at? From htc's site? Att m8 also how do I run it?