GPS turns on by itself after Android 4.4.4 update

Search This thread

madelman99

Nov 14, 2011
Hi, I recently updated my phone to Android 4.4.4 and now I am having this issue: Every time the phone acquires a cell signal, GPS turns on about 10 seconds later and stays on for a long time. This happens even if the GPS and location services are turned off. As a result my battery drains in half the time that it used to. If I stop IQ Agent process, GPS icon immediately goes away until the next time phone reacquires the signal. This happens multiple times a day. I can easily reproduce the problem by toggling airplane mode. I don’t think it’s a conflict with any of the apps because the problem exists if I boot into safe mode. I called HTS but they never heard of it, said they will escalate the problem to the developers, but I don’t know if anything will be done. Does anyone else experiencing the same problem? My phone is not rooted and locked.
Thanks…

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
I called HTS but they never heard of it, said they will escalate the problem to the developers, but I don’t know if anything will be done.

That usually means nothing will be done.

I haven't heard of this. I typically recommend backing up your data, and doing a factory reset; as this often (although not always) clears up random bugs after an OTA. Smart of you to eliminate the possibility of 3rd party apps by trying Safe Mode. But there may still be some migrated user settings causing a conflict.

Reactions: madelman99

madelman99

Nov 14, 2011

I haven't heard of this. I typically recommend backing up your data, and doing a factory reset; as this often (although not always) clears up random bugs after an OTA.

I was hoping to figure this out without doing a factory reset. I know I am not the only one with this issue, I've seen others with the same problem on different forums...

I haven't heard of this. I typically recommend backing up your data, and doing a factory reset; as this often (although not always) clears up random bugs after an OTA. Smart of you to eliminate the possibility of 3rd party apps by trying Safe Mode. But there may still be some migrated user settings causing a conflict.

Some (including myself) have noted that this has something to do with carrier IQ services.

o0RaidR0o

Dec 13, 2007
San Antonio
GPS

I just got off the phone with ATT just yesterday, and I can confirm they are aware of the issue. But seeing how Lollipop is just around the corner, you might want to wait a bit, unless of course you're in dire straits.

Reactions: madelman99

madelman99

Nov 14, 2011
I just got off the phone with ATT just yesterday, and I can confirm they are aware of the issue. But seeing how Lollipop is just around the corner, you might want to wait a bit, unless of course you're in dire straits.

The HTC tech also said that Lollipop will be out soon, in fact he said they are in stage 2 testing (whatever that means). I just hope that the problem will not migrate to Lollipop.

Last edited:

Douglas_D

Apr 9, 2014
I'm having a similar issue with my phone. Been sitting on my desk trying to charge, but it can't because the GPS is sucking away the battery.

Others over at AndroidCentral are complaining about the same thing.

Unfortunately I'm new here, so I can't post a link, but you can search for android central 494182-massive-battery-drain-gps-constantly

Also on Android Central: 494174-how-do-i-stop-my-gps-icon-flashing-att-htc-one-m8

Last edited:

madelman99

Nov 14, 2011
I'm having a similar issue with my phone. Been sitting on my desk trying to charge, but it can't because the GPS is sucking away the battery.

You can turn off the GPS by stopping IQ Agent Service. It should stay off until the cell data connection is lost.
I think everyone should call them so they know it is happening to a lot of people. Otherwise nothing will get done. I am surprised that there is not that much chatter out there. It was hard to even find forum discussions.

theandies

Funny I just posted the same question in the generic M8 Q and A section. I just noticed it too. My battery life has not been affected that I can see after going through the data. I've gone and disabled any app that uses the GPS service but it's still coming on so it's not an app or app update that I can tell. I guess I can wait until LP comes out.

madelman99

Nov 14, 2011
I think I solved it…

I think I solved it… I believe the app DriveMode was causing an issue. Here is what I think happened. When I got my phone a year ago, I immediately disabled few apps, DriveMode was one of them. I believe the recent update was designed to more closely interact with DriveMode and even though the app was disabled, it appeared that as soon as the phone acquired data connection, it tried to determine whether or not the user was moving. When I re-enabled the app, I disabled it internally (within the app) and I guess that told the OS not to bother determining if the user was moving anymore. Here are the steps: I re-enabled DriveMode, I then went to google play and updated it to the latest version, I opened the app and immediately noticed GPS icon turned on, the screen appeared telling me to enable GPS, I checked ignore check box and left the location service running in battery save mode. I closed the Drive mode app and left it along without disabling it. I did this yesterday and haven’t noticed GPS turning on even once since then.
I hope this helps everyone solve this annoying problem; please let me know if this works for anyone…

I think I solved it… I believe the app DriveMode was causing an issue. Here is what I think happened. When I got my phone a year ago, I immediately disabled few apps, DriveMode was one of them. I believe the recent update was designed to more closely interact with DriveMode and even though the app was disabled, it appeared that as soon as the phone acquired data connection, it tried to determine whether or not the user was moving. When I re-enabled the app, I disabled it internally (within the app) and I guess that told the OS not to bother determining if the user was moving anymore. Here are the steps: I re-enabled DriveMode, I then went to google play and updated it to the latest version, I opened the app and immediately noticed GPS icon turned on, the screen appeared telling me to enable GPS, I checked ignore check box and left the location service running in battery save mode. I closed the Drive mode app and left it along without disabling it. I did this yesterday and haven’t noticed GPS turning on even once since then.
I hope this helps everyone solve this annoying problem; please let me know if this works for anyone…

I like this idea -

However, I was able to get rid of this issue by disabling the carrier IQ service. I did this using an application called Disable Service from the Google Play store.
Works like a charm, and has the added advantage of disabling the IQ service intrusion.

Reactions: enzeem2010

madelman99

Nov 14, 2011
However, I was able to get rid of this issue by disabling the carrier IQ service. I did this using an application called Disable Service from the Google Play store.
Works like a charm, and has the added advantage of disabling the IQ service intrusion.

Unfortunately this only will work on rooted phones, mine is not.

fitchpuckman

May 10, 2012
Unfortunately this only will work on rooted phones, mine is not.

Just want to throw my $0.02 in here....I'm having hte same issues noted in the thread, and it's murdering my battery life. I typically get 24-30 hours of battery life easily on this phone, but now if i dont spend all day killing IQ Agent, i get about 7. I can't root my M8 due to some work restrictions, so it's all manual IQ Agent task killing fo rme. although I was EXTREMELY active yesterday in killing the service ~30 times throughout the day yesterday, Android System (where IQ Agent lies) still managed to run 2hr 24 minutes of GPS on, according to two different battery/service monitoring apps. This, mind you, all occurred without my actual GPS toggle ever being switched on.

I'm waiting for a call back from HTC, and AT&T punted completely and denied any knowledge of why it would happen (although ironically offering to remote into my phone to "diagnose" the issue, which I could not do becuase I was in transit when I called and they required I remain stationary...)

I'm 100% convinced it's entirely due to the IQ Agent task, or another involuntary watchdog service trigging IQ agent. This task is started under at least two distinct condition, with no fail:

1. my phone goes between 4G and LTE (Subway, between towers/coverage zones, all flipping day long in my concrete-and-steel office building...)
  2. I make or receive a phone call (can feel teh phone get hot in ~2 minutes while on the phone).
  3. switching in or out of airplane mode (which is really an extension of #1).

I love my M8 like crazy, but I cannot wait until my next phone because I absolutely refuse to purchase anything associated with a cell carrier ever again. Fvck that.

shunder723

Mar 12, 2015
Agreed...DriveMode part of the problem

Agreed. I mostly followed these steps by downloading the latest DriveMode, walking through DriveMode setup, then disabling DriveMode and then stopping the IQ Agent Service. SInce then, GPS has performed as it should, only on demand. I did notice that when switching from mobile to a wi-fi network that requires a sign in that the GPS fires up. But again, killing the service stops the random GPS after logging into the wi-fi. So overall, much better than the constant on/off, but still ATT needs to resolve this at some point.

Wonders_Never_Cease

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jul 10, 2013
Have a carrieriq blocked/inactive build in testing so we shall see if it is indeed the culprit by end of day.

Rebel3085

Mar 24, 2015
Update/Reply From AT&T as of 03/23

Finally!!! An admission from AT&T that they jacked up our phones with their software update back in January. It's only taken a month and a half, 4 calls to text support, 3 attempts to reach their urgent care department (by the way... they are completely incompetent. They call from an unknown number, I normally don't answer but I also couldn't answer anyway due to being at work. They leave a message requesting you call a number in KY and leave a message. Left a message on two different occasions and provided the days and hours they could reach me. Of course they call whenever they want and the process starts all over) in addition to all this, I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau that resulted in a call back from a corporate executive. Now the only problem is they don't have a solution for the issue yet and probably won't do anything with the Lollipop update that "SHOULD" be released within the next 15 days. No one should have to go through this but I honestly think everyone should file a BBB complaint just to show AT&T a lesson.

Finally!!! An admission from AT&T that they jacked up our phones with their software update back in January. It's only taken a month and a half, 4 calls to text support, 3 attempts to reach their urgent care department (by the way... they are completely incompetent. They call from an unknown number, I normally don't answer but I also couldn't answer anyway due to being at work. They leave a message requesting you call a number in KY and leave a message. Left a message on two different occasions and provided the days and hours they could reach me. Of course they call whenever they want and the process starts all over) in addition to all this, I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau that resulted in a call back from a corporate executive. Now the only problem is they don't have a solution for the issue yet and probably won't do anything with the Lollipop update that "SHOULD" be released within the next 15 days. No one should have to go through this but I honestly think everyone should file a BBB complaint just to show AT&T a lesson.

So - was it Carrier IQ? Did they say what was going on?
I know they said they don't have a solution, but it would be useful to know what is causing this. I found that disabling the carrier iq service does the trick, and WNC's ROM, which has it disabled by default, also does the trick.

vksf01

Jul 26, 2010
San Francisco
Thanks for the update. My phone started doing the GPS thing a couple of weeks ago and my battery life has been shot.

The weirdest thing is that my issues only started 2 weeks ago, instead of when the update occurred in January, so ATT must be doing something weird on their network as well

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I called HTS but they never heard of it, said they will escalate the problem to the developers, but I don’t know if anything will be done.

GPS

I like this idea -

I have the same exact issue and was hoping for a fix with the 5.0.2 update but issue persist! I turned off the Google location history with really high hopes but still...GPS turns on as it pleases!! I am afraid of a Factory Reset and still leaving it unresolved. Have any of you been able to resolve this issue w/out rooting? :rolleyes:

Mo Versi responded

https://twitter.com/vksf01/status/586299426433556481

I say we should all call HTC an let them know
    It's not an Htc issue it's the carriers fault by installing CarrierIQ on their phones. If you stop CarrierIQ Service then you never have to worry about the Gps issue Watch my video tutorial on how to Disable CarrierIQ Service and stop Gps from turning back on automatically https://youtu.be/XbmIt6RU2Mk

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk