Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,727 Members 52,377 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to remove "Development Purposes" text on boot.

Tip us?

CavyS
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkhope View Post
Hey Cavy..I got a couple of questions for you, if you don't mind. Were you completely stock after taking the 4.4.3 update? I just received my update a couple of days ago and I'm thinking about taking the plunge and rooting. How did you go about rooting and flashing Venom One? Thanks for your help!
Yeah I was completely stock after updating. To root I used the AIO toolkit found here (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2699065) Once youre rooted reboot into recovery and make a backup. Then download the ViperOne rom here (http://venomroms.com/htc-one-m8/) copy the zip folder onto your SD or internal storage and reboot into recovery again and flash the ViperOne zip folder.

redpoint73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by CavyS View Post
Yeah I was completely stock after updating. To root I used the AIO toolkit found here (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2699065) Once youre rooted reboot into recovery and make a backup. Then download the ViperOne rom here (http://venomroms.com/htc-one-m8/) copy the zip folder onto your SD or internal storage and reboot into recovery again and flash the ViperOne zip folder.
You don't need to root if you are going to flash a custom ROM right away. Unlock bootloader, install custom recovery, then put the custom ROM on the phone and flash it.
Please click the "Thanks" button if you found a post helpful!

Phone: AT&T HTC One (M8)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (WiFi only)

thinkhope
Old
Thanks Meter 73
So the toolkit still works?? Thought I read somewhere the 4.4.3 patched something. Are you also S-OFF??

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

CavyS
Old
(Last edited by CavyS; 3rd September 2014 at 08:52 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73 View Post
You don't need to root if you are going to flash a custom ROM right away. Unlock bootloader, install custom recovery, then put the custom ROM on the phone and flash it.
It was just easier for me to fallow a set of instructions going step by step than jumping around just to avoid 1 easy step.
Quote:
So the toolkit still works?? Thought I read somewhere the 4.4.3 patched something. Are you also S-OFF??

Yeah still works, you might of read that Firewater for some people doesnt work on 4.4.3. For me Firewater worked and I'm S-Off for some people it doesnt and you have to use Sunshine in that case.

redpoint73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,986
Quote:
So the toolkit still works??
I highly recommend doing it manually and steering clear of toolkits. Using a toolkit robs you of an important learning opportunity, and leaves you with little understanding of the processes. Skills and knowledge that are important when things don't go quite right (which will inevitably happen).

thinkhope
Old
Thanks Meter 73
Quote:
I highly recommend doing it manually and steering clear of toolkits. Using a toolkit robs you of an important learning opportunity, and leaves you with little understanding of the processes. Skills and knowledge that are important when things don't go quite right (which will inevitably happen).
I agree and that's the route I'm trying to take, however just need a bit more of a solid guide to lean on. I haven't messed around with adb or pushed anything via fastboot since my One X. Don't want to end up with a fancy paper weight.

redpoint73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,986
Quote:
I agree and that's the route I'm trying to take, however just need a bit more of a solid guide to lean on. I haven't messed around with adb or pushed anything via fastboot since my One X. Don't want to end up with a fancy paper weight.
If you did it on your One X, its really not any different on the M8. Actually, probably a good deal easier if you had the AT&T One X (EVITA), since that phone required temp root and SuperCID to unlock the bootloader, for the most part.

In short:

-Go to HTCDev.com to unlock the bootloader. The website walks you though step-by-step, so there is really nothing to that part.
- Use adb to flash your recovery of choice (TWRP or CWM)
- Flash SU/SuperSU or flash a custom ROM
-S-off, if you want
- That's it!

thinkhope
Old
Thanks Meter 73
Quote:
If you did it on your One X, its really not any different on the M8. Actually, probably a good deal easier if you had the AT&T One X (EVITA), since that phone required temp root and SuperCID to unlock the bootloader, for the most part.

In short:

-Go to HTCDev.com to unlock the bootloader. The website walks you though step-by-step, so there is really nothing to that part.
- Use adb to flash your recovery of choice (TWRP or CWM)
- Flash SU/SuperSU or flash a custom ROM
-S-off, if you want
- That's it!
I definitely did have the evita. Had to alter the cid to make htc dev believe it was a different phone or something like that, if I remember correctly.

S-ON really is only if I want to mess with different radios, right? All I want is xposed and and maybe some cm 11 or gpe once Android L is out.

Well, sounds easy enough. I will be attempting later tonight after work. Thanks for all of your help. If it's OK, mind if I PM you if something goes wrong?

redpoint73
Old
(Last edited by redpoint73; 4th September 2014 at 03:08 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,986
Quote:
S-ON really is only if I want to mess with different radios, right? All I want is xposed and and maybe some cm 11 or gpe once Android L is out.
S-off is needed to flash radio, hboot, SIM unlock, and some other things. But not for root or to flash ROMs. Pretty much similar to how things were on the EVITA; with the exception that boot.img will flash automatically along with the ROM (not possible on most hboots on the EVITA, and had to be flashed manually with fastboot).

It sounds like you are already on the "official" 2.23 software (Android 4.4.3) by OTA? If so, you don't need to update firmware (radio, hboot, etc.) as the OTA already updated it. Otherwise, s-off is needed to flash the firmware manually; which is pretty much required for any 2.xx Sense based custom ROMs (otherwise there will be serious bugs like very long boot times, broken WiFi, Bluetooth). While s-off is not strictly needed to flash the ROM (it will flash correctly) things just won't run right if firmware is outdated. This is the only reason you would "need" to have s-off for flashing ROMs. AOSP and GPE ROMs won't suffer this issue.

But if you are already on the new OTA, this isn't an issue for flashing any ROM. You can verify by looking at the hboot version and baseband. If you are on hboot 3.18 and baseband 1.19; your firmware is up to date, and won't be an issue for running any ROMs.

Quote:
mind if I PM you if something goes wrong?
I actually prefer you just posting to the forums. Either to an existing relevant thread, or start a new one if a relevant one does not already exist.

Couple reasons for this:
- Info given to you can help others reading the forums, and benefit the community as a whole instead of being hidden away in PM
- You can get help from more than just one user. I don't claim to even remotely know everything, and often its helpful to have more than one set of eyes on a problem (especially the tougher ones). And I might not even be online to help.

In particular for the 2nd point: my wife and I are going to be having a baby, with scheduled induction tomorrow (Sept. 5) unless it happens by itself sooner. So I won't be available to help you when that happens, anyway!

In any case, good luck!