Sony Encouraging SmartWatch 2 Development

Mobile device companies like selling devices–it’s how they make their money and … more

Easily Toggles Your Lollipop Mobile Data Network Type

Android Lollipop is by good margin the most advanced and refinedversion of … more

Unofficial CM12 for Android One, Disabling Encryption on Nexus 6 – XDA TV

Android One devices have received an Unofficial CyanogenMod … more

Pushbullet Universal Copy/Paste Availabe for Linux, Mac OS X

Pushbullet is one of those useful utilities that once installed, permanently … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Do you need S-Off to flash a ROM?

OP sock00

1st September 2014, 01:08 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
I recently found out that the only way to obtain S-Off now is to pay $25. Before I do this I'm curious to know if I even need to do that before I flash a ROM. I'm already rooted. Can't I just load the ROM onto my phone, go into recovery and flash from their? Do I really need to pay the $25?
1st September 2014, 01:59 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 22

97 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sock00

I recently found out that the only way to obtain S-Off now is to pay $25. Before I do this I'm curious to know if I even need to do that before I flash a ROM. I'm already rooted. Can't I just load the ROM onto my phone, go into recovery and flash from their? Do I really need to pay the $25?

You dont have to pay to obtain S-Off unless youre already on 4.4.3 in which case you'd need sunshine, just read around the forum and you can figure out how to with firewater. Its not hard you just have to do a little research. But to answer the question, yes you have to be S-Off to install custom ROMs. Here is a link to firewater http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2708464
1st September 2014, 08:30 PM   |  #3  
Flag NorCal
Thanks Meter: 2

15 posts
More
S-ON and Custom ROM's
Quote:
Originally Posted by CavyS

You dont have to pay to obtain S-Off unless youre already on 4.4.3 in which case you'd need sunshine, just read around the forum and you can figure out how to with firewater. Its not hard you just have to do a little research. But to answer the question, yes you have to be S-Off to install custom ROMs. Here is a link to firewater http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2708464

I'm new to modding, and definitely still learning but am unclear on your above statement, I have HTC One (M8) 2014. Rooted SuperSu running Android Revolution HD 8.1 custom ROM. It seems I am S-ON because I am not able to flash my hboot (to remove red development text). I receive FAILED (remote: 99 unknown fail). Based on what I'm reading I am S-ON and running a custom ROM. AR HD 8.1 is based on kitkat 4.4.2. Joined today and searching for more answers. Thanks and Cheers!

c:\adb>fastboot getvar all
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.16.0.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.16.21331931.LA11G
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main:
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno:
(bootloader) imei:
(bootloader) imei2: Not Support
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m8_ul_ca
(bootloader) platform: hTCBmsm8974
(bootloader) modelid: 0P6B12000
(bootloader) cidnum: CWS__001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: RUU
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: c3d94491
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.031s
1st September 2014, 11:22 PM   |  #4  

97 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowsports

I'm new to modding, and definitely still learning but am unclear on your above statement, I have HTC One (M8) 2014. Rooted SuperSu running Android Revolution HD 8.1 custom ROM. It seems I am S-ON because I am not able to flash my hboot (to remove red development text). I receive FAILED (remote: 99 unknown fail). Based on what I'm reading I am S-ON and running a custom ROM. AR HD 8.1 is based on kitkat 4.4.2. Joined today and searching for more answers. Thanks and Cheers!

c:\adb>fastboot getvar all
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.16.0.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.16.21331931.LA11G
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main:
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno:
(bootloader) imei:
(bootloader) imei2: Not Support
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m8_ul_ca
(bootloader) platform: hTCBmsm8974
(bootloader) modelid: 0P6B12000
(bootloader) cidnum: CWS__001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: RUU
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: c3d94491
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.031s

You have to be S-Off to flash hboot. Also make sure your modid and cid match up to the hboot you are flashing.
1st September 2014, 11:40 PM   |  #5  
Flag NorCal
Thanks Meter: 2

15 posts
More
Quote:

You have to be S-Off to flash hboot. Also make sure your modid and cid match up to the hboot you are flashing.

My mod and cid both match. My issue is indeed my S-ON status. My comment was in regards to your statement that you must be S-OFF to flash custom ROMs which does not appear to be true.

I unlocked my device using HTCdev unlock. I'm still running stock FW which is why (I believe) I am S-ON. I thought unlocking my device would provide S-OFF but that does not appear to be the case as "get var" tells the story. Thanks for the reply.
Last edited by shadowsports; 1st September 2014 at 11:45 PM.
2nd September 2014, 10:59 PM   |  #6  

97 posts
More
Quote:

My mod and cid both match. My issue is indeed my S-ON status. My comment was in regards to your statement that you must be S-OFF to flash custom ROMs which does not appear to be true.

I unlocked my device using HTCdev unlock. I'm still running stock FW which is why (I believe) I am S-ON. I thought unlocking my device would provide S-OFF but that does not appear to be the case as "get var" tells the story. Thanks for the reply.

Ah, yeah I was wrong in that case. I though I read while flashing VenomOne that you had to be S-Off to use it. Now that I look at it though, its only certain ROMs you have to S-Off for since when you flash VenomOne it also flashes HBoot.
3rd September 2014, 04:01 PM   |  #7  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,278

7,509 posts
Quote:

Now that I look at it though, its only certain ROMs you have to S-Off for since when you flash VenomOne it also flashes HBoot.

You sure about that? It would be highly unusual (and actually a little scary) for any ROM to touch hboot. I don't follow ViperOne closely (Venom is the team, Viper is the ROM) so maybe I'm missing something. Can you link where you see that ViperOne does something to hboot?

---------- Post added at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 AM ----------

Quote:

I unlocked my device using HTCdev unlock. I'm still running stock FW which is why (I believe) I am S-ON. I thought unlocking my device would provide S-OFF but that does not appear to be the case as "get var" tells the story.

Bootloader unlock has nothing to do with s-off. They are completely different things. Bootloader unlock allows install of custom recovery, flashing ROMs, kernels, root, and some other things.

S-off is needed to modify hboot, radio, and some other partitions. It means "all security off" so in many cases it also bypasses bootloader unlock, and other checks. You need to either use firewater or sunshine methods to get s-off. Most likely sunshine, as most folks have not had success with firewater; except mostly on older M8's (where fireware still worked fine). Although there have been some isolated cases of newer devices working with firewater, which is free so its worth a try (and it takes about 5 or 10 minutes to try if you are already rooted and have adb setup).

You don't need s-off to flash custom ROMs. Meaning the ROMs will still flash fine. But there is a slight caveat, in that if you are on old firmware (hboot, radio, plus other modules like WiFi, Bluetooth, media and others) from 1.xx based OS software, and try to use a 2.xx based ROM, they will not play together well and you will suffer some serious issues including long boot times (5-10 min), or broken WiFi or Bluetooth.

So while a 2.xx ROM will flash fine with s-on (in literal terms), you most likely will get some issues (maybe even making the ROM not usable) unless you update the firmware (which does require s-off).

You can update the firmware either by "unofficial" means with s-off and flashing an updated firmware. Or you with s-on, you can install the 2.23 AT&T OTA or RUU.
Last edited by redpoint73; 3rd September 2014 at 04:08 PM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread