Stock unrooted and goes on bootloop with wifi on

OP felixacosta23

15th July 2014, 08:38 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
I need some help. I have a stock unrooted ATT device. Every time i turn on the wifi it goes on a bootloop, but when the wifi is off its fine. I tried to soft and hard reset but no luck. Any suggestions?
15th July 2014, 01:27 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,138

7,112 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixacosta23

I need some help. I have a stock unrooted ATT device. Every time i turn on the wifi it goes on a bootloop, but when the wifi is off its fine. I tried to soft and hard reset but no luck. Any suggestions?

Folks use the terms "soft reset" and "hard reset" a bit liberally. Both typically refer to simply rebooting the phone (either within the OS, or with the button combo, respectively). But sometimes people will say "hard reset" to mean a factory reset.

Try a factory reset, if you haven't done so (of course back up any important personal data first). Or download the RUU and run it. Again, this will wipe user data, so backup what you want to keep before running the RUU.
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th July 2014, 06:03 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
I ran the reset through the OS. Is that considered a hard reset or factory reset? Now i tried going through the stock recovery using the buttons and wiped cache and wipe data/factory reset. It seemed to clear the bootloop problem with wifi. Is there a difference doing a reset through the OS vs through the buttons? Thanks for your help.
15th July 2014, 06:49 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,138

7,112 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixacosta23

I ran the reset through the OS. Is that considered a hard reset or factory reset? Now i tried going through the stock recovery using the buttons and wiped cache and wipe data/factory reset. It seemed to clear the bootloop problem with wifi. Is there a difference doing a reset through the OS vs through the buttons? Thanks for your help.

"Reset phone" in Settings is the same as a factory reset, and is same as doing it in recovery. Although keep in mind that "factory reset" is a bit of a misnomer. All it does is wipe the user data (/data) partition. It doesn't do anything to the current ROM/OS installed; despite popular misconception that it will somehow "revert" the OS if its been updated.

The term "hard reset" is a term that is used a different ways by different people. So I try to avoid use of it altogether. HTC specifically uses the term "hard reset" to be the same as factory reset:
http://www.htc.com/us/support/htc-on...to/465049.html

Others will sometimes use the term "hard reset" to mean simply a forced reboot using the device specific button combo (in the case of the M8, holding down power and vol up).

In any case, you've already done a factory reset and wiped cache. So the only other thing I can suggest is running the RUU. To do this, go to the following webpage, and follow instructions near the bottom under "Manual system update instructions":
http://www.htc.com/us/support/htc-one-m8-att/news/

RUU is pretty much the nuclear option, it will rewrite a complete software image (ROM, radio, recovery, bootloader, etc.) to the phone, and possibly/hopefully repair anything that may be causing your issue.
Last edited by redpoint73; 15th July 2014 at 06:56 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread