Tempered glass vs. plastic screen protector

OP ez4nick

1st September 2014, 08:36 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

91 posts
More
I have been a long time user of the $10 3 pack of plastic film protectors you can get on amazon, they work fine however after a few months they get scratched, hold tons of fingerprints and need to be replaced. What I'm wondering is would a tempered glass screen protector necessarily have any better fingerprint resistance or scratch resistance vs the plastic or is the only real advantage the fact the the tempered glass will shatter if dropped and not your phones screen. I'm considering the zagg glass only because of the free replacement. I previously used their invisible shield on a nexus 7 and was not impressed at all but am willing to give them another try only because of the free replacement.
1st September 2014, 10:25 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 5

12 posts
I've tried many plastic screen protectors and I used to have the same issue after a while they would track tons of fingerprints and wear down. I tried out the iLoome 8H Hardness Premium Screen Protector with Oleophobic Coating for the LG G2 and LG G3 and it's amazing. I feel like it helps against the fingerprints and scratches.
The Following User Says Thank You to YouSoSimpoh For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd September 2014, 05:57 AM   |  #3  
Flag DFW
Thanks Meter: 8

29 posts
More
I was previously a hater of screen protectors (because of the plastic ones) until I realized how anal I could be over micro scratches on my actual screen. Once I noticed one, I bought a glass screen protector for the first time. Was the Caribu on Amazon. I failed to apply it correctly because it was a first time thing but I still loved the feel, thought it was great & left it on for a couple weeks. I ordered the Bepak tempered glass on eBay which ships from China. Lined it up perfect first try and the adhesive slowly migrated across my screen leaving no bubbles. It's smoother and resist fingerprints better than the naked glass. No scratches yet.

In short, tempered glass screen protectors are the only reason I can even say I like screen protectors.

Sent from my L2GTriple
The Following User Says Thank You to mosincredible For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd September 2014, 10:35 PM   |  #4  
Flag Princeton Tx
Thanks Meter: 412

2,942 posts
Donate to Me
More
I love my zagg glass. I too had issues with scratches on the others.

Fortunately I have not had this one break. My buddy has broken 3 and received replacements no issues

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to 00mred00 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd September 2014, 10:55 PM   |  #5  
Flag Union, NJ
Thanks Meter: 129

777 posts
Donate to Me
More
I always used the lesser destructible protectors from zagg skins or clearcoat etc. With this device I decided I try out the zagg tempered glass and I don't think I would ever go back to any other screen protector. They give you added protection and are super clear! Definitely worth the extra investment

No matter what, I can never stay away from android for long.
The Following User Says Thank You to idelgado782 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th September 2014, 11:22 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 32

263 posts
Stay away from the Bodyguardz tempered glass screen protector. It has sensitivity issues. Hopefully AT&T takes mine back when the new one I ordered from Spigen gets here.
The Following User Says Thank You to redhooka For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th September 2014, 05:05 PM   |  #7  
Flag Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 107

302 posts
Donate to Me
More
I have the XtremeGuard Spartan Tempered Glass screen protector. It feels like glass, it seems to be just as sensitive, and it's not cloudy like some matte screen protectors are. There are only 2 things wrong with it: the top-right corner refuses to adhere, and it normally costs $50. I got it during a 90% off sale so it cost me $5 (totally worth it), but there's no way I would ever spend more than $10 on this thing. $5 was about right.
7th September 2014, 06:24 PM   |  #8  
Huntsville
Thanks Meter: 171

562 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhooka

Stay away from the Bodyguardz tempered glass screen protector. It has sensitivity issues. Hopefully AT&T takes mine back when the new one I ordered from Spigen gets here.

My local at&t wouldn't take mine back

Thankfully the sensitivity issue has gotten better with use. But it still messes up from time to time. I did get it 50% off, as well as my otter box case, so I guess I can't complain too much.

Side note: I'm not sure if I'm the only one that does this but I get the otter box defender and I actually pop out their "screen protector" and use a glass screen protector with it. Looks nice and feels protected

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Free mobile app
Last edited by Craleb; 7th September 2014 at 06:28 PM.
8th September 2014, 02:34 AM   |  #9  
Recognized Contributor
Flag North Georgia
Thanks Meter: 2,351

5,517 posts
Donate to Me
More
You are not the only one. I popped mine out too. Did the same on my S3.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrhaley30705 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th September 2014, 11:35 PM   |  #10  
Flag Union, NJ
Thanks Meter: 129

777 posts
Donate to Me
More
I has the screen sensitivity issue when I first put the zagg on. I haven't noticed it lately however. Could be that I've just completely forgotten about it or it genuinely could have gotten better.

No matter what, I can never stay away from android for long.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread