Open War for Open Android: Antitrust for Cyanogen?

Android and openness is something we talk about all the time, but the recent … more

What Do You Do with All of Your Old Photos?

Smartphone cameras have advanced so tremendously over the past few years that they have … more

Diving into the April 2015 Material Design Update

Before the release of Android 5.0 Lollipop, the Holo Design guidelines served as the … more

New Cyanogen Partnerships Bring Privacy Concerns

New Privacy concerns have emerged regarding Cyanogen’s latest announcements, … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

AT&T G3 on T-mobile Network

8th March 2015, 01:46 AM |#91  
Thanks Meter: 0

16 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mha1021

which is perfect for me and one of my at&t line was eligible for upgrade so i upgrade it and paid $100+tax for the phone at BESTBUY. didn't want to pay $600 for T-mobile G3.

I know this is an old thread, but you might not be aware but phones on AT&T haven't been subsidized since Feb 2014. While phones were never actually subsidized since you paid for it with your monthly bill, come Feb '14, they finally decoupled the phone subsidy from the actual phones. Being eligible for an "upgrade" by choosing a 2 year agreement actually will cost you more money than paying for the phone outright or using AT&T NEXT which takes the full price of the phone and divides it over a given # of months.

I'm actually surprised people on XDA-developers aren't aware of how pricing for phones has changed. None of the carriers "subsidize" phones anymore unless you feel paying above retail price for a phone in the form of increased monthly payments in a "subsidy". Taking a 2 year contract on AT&T will increase you monthly bill by $25 per month per line that is upgraded. 25 * 24 (2 years) = $600. If you pay ATT $100-$200 for the phone up front, you'll have paid $700-$800 for that phone not including tax.

7th April 2015, 12:17 AM |#92  
Flag San Carlos, CA
Thanks Meter: 14

146 posts
More
лещ
Quote:
Originally Posted by imzjustplayin

I know this is an old thread, but you might not be aware but phones on AT&T haven't been subsidized since Feb 2014. While phones were never actually subsidized since you paid for it with your monthly bill, come Feb '14, they finally decoupled the phone subsidy from the actual phones. Being eligible for an "upgrade" by choosing a 2 year agreement actually will cost you more money than paying for the phone outright or using AT&T NEXT which takes the full price of the phone and divides it over a given # of months.

I'm actually surprised people on XDA-developers aren't aware of how pricing for phones has changed. None of the carriers "subsidize" phones anymore unless you feel paying above retail price for a phone in the form of increased monthly payments in a "subsidy". Taking a 2 year contract on AT&T will increase you monthly bill by $25 per month per line that is upgraded. 25 * 24 (2 years) = $600. If you pay ATT $100-$200 for the phone up front, you'll have paid $700-$800 for that phone not including tax.

I guess most of the people are well aware of such math I bought AT&T's G3 blue steel model coz stupidly enough TMobile doesn't have one... IMO it's the most stylish version by far!
I paid like 500$ half a year ago for brand new unopened box item from ebay! The only thing I'm missing is WI-FI CALLING so I was wondering if someone was able to trick and make it work on AT&T D850 with TMobile SIM? Is there any ROM or app supporting wi-fi calling? Thanks in advance! - Update: made some search all over xda and web and found nothing. Gotta use Hangouts with their Dialer for now!
Last edited by alexsoin; 7th April 2015 at 03:07 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread