Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,408 Members 53,810 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Cracked my 13 day old G3

Tip us?

AllstarE4
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43
Default Cracked my 13 day old G3

I'm so upset I wanted to share my sob story. I have had my G3 for 13 days now (pre-ordered and picked up on launch day) and I just cracked the screen. Only about one third of the screen is responsive so the device is almost useless now.

I put a Spigen Slim Armor case on it before even walking out of Best Buy with it so it has been "protected" from day one. Spigen's slogan for the G3 Slim Armor is "Absolute Drop Protection", but that's apparently not true here. They advertise that the corners have an "air cushion", but it fell on the corner. I bent over and it fell out of my shirt pocket literally 2 feet above the floor.

LG can't give me a repair estimate without sending it in. The guy on the LG Chat said probably $150 or so, but there's no guarantee on that amount. I've seen replacement glass on Amazon for $56.99 without the LCD screen and then Repairs Universe has the glass/LCD combo only. They said that it's near impossible to replace just the glass without the LCD and not mess it up. That combo costs $175.

Does anyone have any guidance or know how much it might cost through LG? Should I even attempt to repair it myself? Any advice would be great. I'll apologize in advance if I don't reply to posts right away. I'll be having trouble using the G3 at all. I'm going to get a sim card for my backup phone tomorrow and use that in the meantime.
Phone: LG G3 D850
Carrier: AT&T

imstill@g
Old
Thanks Meter 142
I've seen in the past that lg has been fair on pricing. But never give an upfront cost. I'd just send mine in. Hate to hear that happened

AllstarE4
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43
Thanks for the reply. I may just send it in and eat the repair cost. I'm just disappointed in the whole situation.

Sent from my LG-P930 using XDA Free mobile app

screwyluie
Old
Thanks Meter 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllstarE4 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I may just send it in and eat the repair cost. I'm just disappointed in the whole situation.

put squaretrade insurance on it and have them fix it for $75
The Following User Says Thank You to screwyluie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Z51
Old
Thanks Meter 62
EBay has the combo for 146.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/121391047944?nav=SEARCH

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

HTC One M8 (Gold)
Galaxy S5 (Gold)
OnePlus One (SandStone Black)

AllstarE4
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
put squaretrade insurance on it and have them fix it for $75
I've never used square trade and didn't think about that. Have you had good experiences with them?

AllstarE4
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51 View Post
EBay has the combo for 146.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/121391047944?nav=SEARCH

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
I thought about that, but it would cost roughly the same for LG to fix it. That would save me the worry of attempting it myself and scrying it up even more. Although it can't be too hard.

louvass
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllstarE4 View Post
I thought about that, but it would cost roughly the same for LG to fix it. That would save me the worry of attempting it myself and scrying it up even more. Although it can't be too hard.

I have the same case.. there is no cushion corners it's all pretty hard.. I'm looking for another with some more padding for the corners. Sorry to hear that happened to you.

AllstarE4
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by louvass View Post
I have the same case.. there is no cushion corners it's all pretty hard.. I'm looking for another with some more padding for the corners. Sorry to hear that happened to you.
Yeah I was pretty disappointed with the corners. They advertise them as air cushion corners, but they are definitely just solid. I am also looking for a new case.

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Free mobile app

imitenotbecrazy
Old
Thanks Meter 114
I dropped my on its face and cracked the ZAGG glass screen protector. Luckily the screen underneath is unscathed
Future
G3
Current
S5
Past
GFlex Nexus4 Note12.2 G2GNOTE2SGS4Hero H2000+TF300FascinateIncredibleGnexNoteCaptivateONE X
SkyrocketveerVividFocusNexus S 4gAtrix2SGS2infuseiP4