[UNROOT] Return to Factory Stock - AT&T LG G3

Search This thread

neverends

Mar 5, 2010
South Bay
UNROOT METHOD FOR AT&T LG G3

So you messed around with your G3 too much and broke something... or do you need to return it or send it in for service. In either case, you may need to un-root and restore the phone to factory settings.
Follow the instructions below to get your phone back to stock.

How to un-root the LG G3 on AT&T

1. Download all four files

Driver
LG Flash Tool
.DLL
.TOT

Mirror of above files - Thanks to clsA

***If anyone is interested in mirroring the above files... please do so and post the links and I will update the OP***

2. Install LG United mobile driver

3. Install LG FlashTool using instructions in zip folder

4. Unzip LG850AT-V10d.zip and LGD850_20140613_LGFLASHv160_DLL.zip in to a new folder

5. Turn of your phone

6. Using a USB 2.0 Port, plug one end in to PC

7. Hold the Volume Up key and plug USB cable in to phone - this will put your phone in to download mode.

8. Open Device manager and scroll down to Ports

9. Click on Ports and right click LGE Mobile USB Serial Port

10. Select properties - go to Port Settings Tab and click on Advanced

11. Change COM Port to COM41 - Click OK and Close device manager

12. Go to LG Flash tool and run as administrator

13. Select Manual Mode and browse to the folder you extracted the files to and select the .dll and .tot you downloaded
and unzipped in item 4 and place in corresponding box. dll in dll box and .tot in S/W box

14. Click OK

15. Click Yellow arrow to begin

16. When the Port 1 (COM41) box is ready, unplug USB cable from phone, wait 5 seconds and plug cable back in to phone.

17. The process will take up to 45 Min (Mine took 2594 sec)

18. When you see a large 3 on the screen - unplug phone, pull battery and reboot

At this point your phone is un-rooted and restored to factory settings.

19. Once you reboot - go to settings, backup and restore, and hit reset to perform a factory reset. (Optional)

20. Download root checker and run to confirm you no longer have root (Optional)

To Confirm that you have no Rooted flag in the service menu, follow the instructions below

To check:
1. Go to dialer
2. enter 3845#*850#
3. Scroll to and click on LG RCT
4. click Display Results

Here you will see that it shows the device is rooted

WARNINGS & DISCLAIMERS

Proceed with caution and at your own risk - I am not responsible if your phone self destructs, gets bricked, or melts.

Please keep in mind that both these methods will yield ROOT only - as of know there is no way to unlock bootloader on AT&T

Rooting and any other modifications to your phone will void your warranty - do not root if you do not know what you are doing.

Rooted devices will not be able to receive OTA updates. You may have to unroot and restore stock in order to accept updates.

Last edited:

neverends

Mar 5, 2010
South Bay
FAQ:

Q. Will this reset my root counter in the hidden settings menu?

A. Based On my experience - YES - After restoring using this method the root counter showed NO ROOT and the Root Checker app from the market also showed Not Rooted.

Q. When I tried to follow the above method I get a "Can't change to download mode" error referencing "Error 00000064"
A. I experienced this several times when attempting to un-root using a USB 3.0 port. Connect the phone using a USB 2.0 port preferably connected directly to the computer - and make sure the phone is already in download mode. Occasional you may need to unplug the USB cable from your phone for a couple of seconds and reconnect to get the process started.

Last edited:

bdubs4200

Oct 18, 2010
Don't need it now and hopefully won't, but if I do this is where I'm headed. Thanks man.

ErichGS

Apr 5, 2005
Had to do this for a boot loop I induced trying to remove CarrierIQ. I was following the thread from the general section which has all this information but spread out through the thread. Very simple. Nice to have all the links to the ATT specific stuff so thanks for posting this thread. Would have saved me 40+ minutes of searching around.

enaybee

Oct 28, 2008
Not Too Far
I followed the guide but every time I am at Step 15, process fails with message "Can't change to download mode" 00000064. I am still able to get to download mode and do the steps again and again but it doesn't get past this same error message and fails.

I did a factory reset before running the flasher tool. After a couple of failed attempts, I enabled "usb debugging" thinking that might have to do something with the reset process. Still no go ...

Any suggestions? or solutions? Thanks.

Attachments

• FlasherTool.PNG
    FlasherTool.PNG
    5.1 KB · Views: 5,559
Last edited:

neverends

Mar 5, 2010
South Bay
I followed the guide but every time I am at Step 15, process fails with message "Can't change to download mode" 00000064. I am still able to get to download mode and do the steps again and again but it doesn't get past this same error message and fails.

I did a factory reset before running the flasher tool. After a couple of failed attempts, I enabled "usb debugging" thinking that might have to do something with the reset process. Still no go ...

Having this same issue. Driving me crazy >.

I had the same problem when using a USB 3.0 port on Windows... Plug in to a USB 2.0 port and try again.

Last edited:

enaybee

Oct 28, 2008
Not Too Far
I had the same problem when using a USB 3.0 port on Windows... Plug in to a USB 2.0 port and try again.

USB 2.0 with OEM cable and Windows 8 machine. So no USB 3.0 here. I am trying to arrange a windows 7 machine. I read somewhere around here that LG drivers don't play well with Windows 8/8.1 so thought its worth a try.

neverends

Mar 5, 2010
South Bay
USB 2.0 with OEM cable and Windows 8 machine. So no USB 3.0 here. I am trying to arrange a windows 7 machine. I read somewhere around here that LG drivers don't play well with Windows 8/8.1 so thought its worth a try.

I installed with Windows 8.1 and the included software from OP. Try putting phone in dl mode... Unplug... Go through steps in LG Flash tool... When it says it's ready plug phone in

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

enaybee

Oct 28, 2008
Not Too Far
I installed with Windows 8.1 and the included software from OP. Try putting phone in dl mode... Unplug... Go through steps in LG Flash tool... When it says it's ready plug phone in

Followed this sequence too. Still same. Can't change to download mode. This time around it didn't show "00000064". But hey thanks for suggestion. :good:

enaybee

Oct 28, 2008
Not Too Far
Finally I was able to get a computer running windows 7. I setup the machine with fresh download and installation of drivers and tools. Reset process went through without a hitch. It took 277 sec for the entire flash process to complete. I verified the root counter in LG RCT menu and its says "Not Rooted" now. All traces of root gone. Time to box it up and send it to the new owner :D

neverends

Mar 5, 2010
South Bay
Finally I was able to get a computer running windows 7. I setup the machine with fresh download and installation of drivers and tools. Reset process went through without a hitch. It took 277 sec for the entire flash process to complete. I verified the root counter in LG RCT menu and its says "Not Rooted" now. All traces of root gone. Time to box it up and send it to the new owner :D

were the steps correct?

mrhaley30705

Mar 12, 2011
North Georgia
Question about drivers. I installed LG pc suite on my computer. Will the drivers that come with it work with this, it should I uninstall and reinstall the drivers from the op?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UNROOT METHOD FOR AT&T LG G3

So you messed around with your G3 too much and broke something... or do you need to return it or send it in for service. In either case, you may need to un-root and restore the phone to factory settings.
    Follow the instructions below to get your phone back to stock.

How to un-root the LG G3 on AT&T

1. Download all four files

Driver
    LG Flash Tool
    .DLL
    .TOT

Mirror of above files - Thanks to clsA

***If anyone is interested in mirroring the above files... please do so and post the links and I will update the OP***

2. Install LG United mobile driver

3. Install LG FlashTool using instructions in zip folder

4. Unzip LG850AT-V10d.zip and LGD850_20140613_LGFLASHv160_DLL.zip in to a new folder

5. Turn of your phone

6. Using a USB 2.0 Port, plug one end in to PC

7. Hold the Volume Up key and plug USB cable in to phone - this will put your phone in to download mode.

8. Open Device manager and scroll down to Ports

9. Click on Ports and right click LGE Mobile USB Serial Port

10. Select properties - go to Port Settings Tab and click on Advanced

11. Change COM Port to COM41 - Click OK and Close device manager

12. Go to LG Flash tool and run as administrator

13. Select Manual Mode and browse to the folder you extracted the files to and select the .dll and .tot you downloaded
    and unzipped in item 4 and place in corresponding box. dll in dll box and .tot in S/W box

14. Click OK

15. Click Yellow arrow to begin

16. When the Port 1 (COM41) box is ready, unplug USB cable from phone, wait 5 seconds and plug cable back in to phone.

17. The process will take up to 45 Min (Mine took 2594 sec)

18. When you see a large 3 on the screen - unplug phone, pull battery and reboot

At this point your phone is un-rooted and restored to factory settings.

19. Once you reboot - go to settings, backup and restore, and hit reset to perform a factory reset. (Optional)

20. Download root checker and run to confirm you no longer have root (Optional)

To Confirm that you have no Rooted flag in the service menu, follow the instructions below

To check:
    1. Go to dialer
    2. enter 3845#*850#
    3. Scroll to and click on LG RCT
    4. click Display Results

Here you will see that it shows the device is rooted

WARNINGS & DISCLAIMERS

Proceed with caution and at your own risk - I am not responsible if your phone self destructs, gets bricked, or melts.

Please keep in mind that both these methods will yield ROOT only - as of know there is no way to unlock bootloader on AT&T

Rooting and any other modifications to your phone will void your warranty - do not root if you do not know what you are doing.

Rooted devices will not be able to receive OTA updates. You may have to unroot and restore stock in order to accept updates.
    FAQ:

Q. Will this reset my root counter in the hidden settings menu?

A. Based On my experience - YES - After restoring using this method the root counter showed NO ROOT and the Root Checker app from the market also showed Not Rooted.

Q. When I tried to follow the above method I get a "Can't change to download mode" error referencing "Error 00000064"
    A. I experienced this several times when attempting to un-root using a USB 3.0 port. Connect the phone using a USB 2.0 port preferably connected directly to the computer - and make sure the phone is already in download mode. Occasional you may need to unplug the USB cable from your phone for a couple of seconds and reconnect to get the process started.
    How I combated the "can't change to download mode"

If you guys are suffering from step 15 where you get the error saying "can't change to download mode" well I might have something that can help.

So basically when the Com41 box is ready then
    1.Unplug your phone
    2.Remove the Battery
    3.As you plug the phone back into the usb cable, hold the volume up button.

I don't know why this worked for me it was kind of along the lines of what the OP said but his instructions didn't work for me.

Having this same issue. Driving me crazy >.