[Kernel][26/11/14][LG][D850]Rin Kernel 1.8.5[KITKAT]

Search This thread

Tectas

Jul 26, 2011
RIN Kernel for D850

Close to stock with some sugar added ... delicous!

Hey guys and girls,
you may have seen my unified stock kernel thread already (or may not, but doesn't matter). This kernel is my attempt to build up on the fixed source and add some additional features for us mod lovers to thinker with and to personalize your device to your usage. For now, I'll keep it close to my stock source and just pull some additional features and fixes in, but not to much. That may change in the future (maybe even soon), but for now, I'll stick to that paradigm.

First of, DISCLAIMER, I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead unicorns, rainbows with missing colors, world war, nose bleed, void warranty (you know that already, don't you? your warranty is void now and it's your fault :p) or any other harm happening to your device, you or people around you!

What does it serve? (Features)

• Built with sabermod 4.9 toolchain
  • IO Schedulers

• BFQ
    • CFQ
    • DEADLINE
    • FIFO
    • FIOPS
    • NOOP
    • ROW (default)
    • SIO
    • TRIPNDROID
    • VR
    • ZEN
  • Governors

• Adaptive
    • Conservative
    • DanceDance
    • IntelliActive
    • IntelliDemand
    • Interactive (default)
    • Lagfree
    • Lionheart
    • OnDemand
    • Performance
    • Powersave
    • SmartassV2
    • Userspace
    • Wheatley
    • Smartmax
  • TCP Congestion Algorithms

• BIC
    • Westwood
    • Vegas
    • Veno
    • Yeah
    • HTCP
    • Cubic (default)
    • Reno
  • init.d support
  • intelliplug
  • intelli thermal v2
  • Memutil optimizations
  • Voltage control
  • SoundControl
  • OC to 2.7GHz and UC support
  • Cpu limiter
  • 2-Way Call Recording support
  • Simple GPU Algorithm
  • Simple_ondemand GPU Governor fixed
  • exFat support
  • ntfs support (bugged)
  • Oversharpening fix
  • DriveDroid support
  • android logger sysfs toggle (disabled by default)
  • high priority workqueue
  • Many under the hood fixes
  • Stability
  • More to come

How to apply it? (Installation)

IMPORTANT: Read through all the requirements, steps and warnings before you do anything, if any requirement doesn't match or you don't know what one or more of the steps below mean or do, ask before you do any of them, if you don't know how all the steps can be done, let it be, I warned you, if you don't do and something bad happens, I'll just laugh at you!!

Requirements? Yes!
  • D850
  • Custom Recovery
  • Stock or Stock Based ROM (no AOSP)

How to flash the kernel?

• Download zip
  • Place on internal or external SD
  • Reboot to recovery
  • Choose install zip
  • Search for the downloaded zip
  • Confirm flashing
  • Wipe cache
  • Reboot
  • Have fun

How to boot unbumped kernels?

Only needed for the img files prior version 1.7

• Plugin your device to the PC
  • Open a terminal and execute
    Code:
    adb shell                                                                                                                                # open a shell over adb
    su                                                                                                                                                    # change to superuser
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/laf of=/storage/external_SD/stock-laf.img    # backup the stock download mode to your external sd
    exit                                                                                                                                                  # exit the superuser shell
    exit                                                                                                                                                  # exit the adb shell
    adb pull /storage/external_SD/stock-laf.img .                                                                             # backup the download mode image from you external sd to the PC
    adb shell
    su
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/laf                                                # remove the stock download mode
    BEWARE, THIS WILL REMOVE YOUR DOWNLOAD MODE!!! YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO FLASH KDZ FILES BEFORE YOU RESTORED IT!!!!

Turn off the device completely, plug in the USB-cable, if you pulled it out and start the device by holding vol up + power till you see some white text on the screen, fastboot should be written somewhere on the screen, afterwards execute the following command on the PC (while in the directory you've downloaded the kernel image to).

D850:
    Code:
    fastboot boot D850-rin-1.6.img             # boot the kernel

BEWARE, NEVER USE FLASH AT FASTBOOT ONLY BOOT, IT WILL TRIGGER SECURITY OF THE LOCKED BOOTLOADER AND YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO BOOT ANYMORE!!!!

You're done now and booted to the custom kernel!

How to make sure you're running the kernel?

To check if you properly booted into the kernel execute this in the command line (terminal emulater or through adb shell):

Code:
cat /proc/version

it should show

Code:
Linux version 3.4.0-rin-g58903a9-dirty (tectas@tectas-rogg750jx) (gcc version 4.9.1 20140710 (prerelease) (crosstool-NG linaro-1.13.1+bzr2673 - Linaro GCC 2014.07 - Cortex-A15) ) #53 SMP PREEMPT Thu Aug 14 13:26:42 CEST 2014

Once more a warning READ IT!!:

BEWARE, when you reboot you'll boot to the stock kernel, you'll have to boot the custom kernel over fastboot every time, when you boot normally, you'll be on the stock kernel, this won't lead to issues, but you'll miss the benefits of this kernel, I know that's not optimal, but the best we can get with the locked bootloader.

How to restore Download mode?

Code:
adb shell                              # open a shell over adb
su                                                   # change to superuser
dd if=/storage/external_SD/stock-laf.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/laf    # restore the stock download mode from the backup on your external sd

Changes? (Changelog)

26.11.2014/1.8.5

• Less frequency steps to UC (better performance for governors hitting each step)
  • Oversharpening fix (Credits to @Skin1980)
  • Kernel now flashed with dd within recovery
  • Added external radio-iris-transport module to fix fm radio

20.11.2014/1.8
  • build with sabermod 4.9
  • Graphite build flags
  • NTFS support
  • sysfs interface for android logger (Logger disabled by default)
  • TCP cong algorithms (BIC, Westwood, HTCP, Vegas, Veno, Yeah)
  • More frequency steps between 300Mhz and 2.7Ghz

17.11.2014/1.7.2
  • Raise max microvolt at cpu for pm8941 and pma8084 (Possible Green Screen Fix)
  • Additional warnings fixed

12.11.2014/1.7
  • images bumped
  • flashable zip
  • init.d support (busybox needed)
  • AIO optmimizations enabled
  • intelli plug added (credits to @faux123)
  • ****load of warnings fixed

23.10.2014/1.6
  • D850 support added
  • Simple GPU Algorithm Support
  • Overclocking up to 2.76 Ghz
  • exfat support
  • intelli-thermal v2 added
  • smartmax governor added
  • memutil optimizations
  • build with NEON kernel mode
  • 2-way call recording patch
  • DriveDroid cdrom emulation support
  • Faux SoundControl
  • Simple-OnDemand fixed
  • Cpu Freq Limiter
  • some small fixes and enhancements

14.08.2014/1.0.1
  • net/ipv4|include/asm-generic: Enhancement of out of bounds fix

• Initial release

Full list of commits can be found here

Where to get it from? (Downloads)

AndroidFileHost | xda | dev host | google drive | trialsrider1

Let me test!! (Beta Testing Community)

Google+ LG G3 Beta Testing Community

Show me the so(u)rce(ry)! (Source Code)

https://github.com/tectas/android_kernel_lge_msm8974ac/tree/rin-kitkat

Donators (huge thanks, you're simply great :) )

Credits

If you like my work, please show your appreciation by pressing the thanks button, if you want to do more, i've nothing against a little donation, but I'm as happy when you just thank me by pressing the button :)

XDA:DevDB Information
Rin Kernel, Kernel for the AT&T LG G3

Contributors
Tectas
Source Code: https://github.com/tectas/android_kernel_lge_msm8974ac/tree/rin-kitkat

Kernel Special Features:

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 1.8.5
Stable Release Date: 2014-11-26

Created 2014-10-24
Last Updated 2015-01-09

Tectas

Jul 26, 2011
Any questions? (FAQ)

1. How can I toggle the android logger?
    • File Explorer Method:
      Go with a root explorer to /sys/kernel/logger_mode and open the logger_mode file.
      Remove everything inside that file and put the number 1 to enable and 0 to disable the logger into it and save the file.
    • Terminal Method:
      • Enable the logger
        Code:
        echo 1 > /sys/kernel/logger_mode/logger_mode
      • Disable the logger
        Code:
        echo 0 > /sys/kernel/logger_mode/logger_mode
  2. My internal sd is not working, what to do?
    • Open adb shell or a terminal emulator and type
      Code:
      su
      restorecon -v -R /data/media

Last edited:
Reactions: X Wallace

sublimejosh2000

Dec 14, 2010
Atlanta
Will this be easier to use once the Bump! Support is added?!
I will try it out now, but it will be able to be permanent once it is able to be Bump!'ed right?

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Free mobile app

Tectas

Jul 26, 2011
I will try it out now, but it will be able to be permanent once it is able to be Bump!'ed right?

Yes, as soon as the bump method is released I can build a flashable and you can flash it through recovery like usual and don't have to worry about booting it through fastboot.

Sent from my LG-D855

17akota

Sep 11, 2010
State College
When I flash this one, I end up going to a green screen saying HW Reset. I got options to go into Download Mode or reboot. If I reboot, the Kernel doesn't get booted.

Tectas

Jul 26, 2011
When I flash this one, I end up going to a green screen saying HW Reset. I got options to go into Download Mode or reboot. If I reboot, the Kernel doesn't get booted.

Interesting, just out of interest, to which version did you update through ota?
Could you try to remove the laf partition to get to fastboot mode and boot to it?
(just replace recovery with laf at the steps to remove the recovery, to boot to it, shut the device down completely, plug in the USB and boot the device through holding vol up + power)

Sent from my LG-D855

17akota

Sep 11, 2010
State College
The D850 never got any official OTAs that I'm aware of, but I'm on AndroidNow 1.6.
That's what I did initially, but this time I flashed it by removing Recovery. I'll try the LAF fastboot though.

sic0048

Jun 25, 2010
Google Pixel 7
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Great work on this.....

Personally I am going to wait for a bumped version - just to make sure I don't screw something up when trying to flash this.....

On that note, have you tried to reach out to the bump team? Perhaps if you explain that you have a kernel waiting to be bumped, they might manually bump the image for you. I know they are trying to work out a method to automate this process, but they have the ability to manually bump stuff right now!

jaladhjin

Jul 13, 2013
So I can flash this with flashify?

Until some sort of twrp zip is made?

I don't really understand the whole is it bump'd or not thing :-/

Granted I did it. I have twrp

noobchef

Feb 24, 2012
Could you give steps if you successfully flashed it plz?

Tectas

Jul 26, 2011
So I can flash this with flashify?

Until some sort of twrp zip is made?

I don't really understand the whole is it bump'd or not thing :-/

Granted I did it. I have twrp

No, sorry, not yet, the problem is, there is a tool needed (not completely true though, it could be signed without the tool as well, but it'd need the fitting certificate, which has only team codefire) to sign not stock kernel images and make them flash and bootable, this tool is the bump tool, which is not released yet.

Sent from my LG-D855

Reactions: jaladhjin

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    RIN Kernel for D850

Close to stock with some sugar added ... delicous!

Hey guys and girls,
    you may have seen my unified stock kernel thread already (or may not, but doesn't matter). This kernel is my attempt to build up on the fixed source and add some additional features for us mod lovers to thinker with and to personalize your device to your usage. For now, I'll keep it close to my stock source and just pull some additional features and fixes in, but not to much. That may change in the future (maybe even soon), but for now, I'll stick to that paradigm.

First of, DISCLAIMER, I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead unicorns, rainbows with missing colors, world war, nose bleed, void warranty (you know that already, don't you? your warranty is void now and it's your fault :p) or any other harm happening to your device, you or people around you!

What does it serve? (Features)

• Built with sabermod 4.9 toolchain
    • IO Schedulers

• BFQ
      • CFQ
      • DEADLINE
      • FIFO
      • FIOPS
      • NOOP
      • ROW (default)
      • SIO
      • TRIPNDROID
      • VR
      • ZEN
    • Governors

• Adaptive
      • Conservative
      • DanceDance
      • IntelliActive
      • IntelliDemand
      • Interactive (default)
      • Lagfree
      • Lionheart
      • OnDemand
      • Performance
      • Powersave
      • SmartassV2
      • Userspace
      • Wheatley
      • Smartmax
    • TCP Congestion Algorithms

• BIC
      • Westwood
      • Vegas
      • Veno
      • Yeah
      • HTCP
      • Cubic (default)
      • Reno
    • init.d support
    • intelliplug
    • intelli thermal v2
    • Memutil optimizations
    • Voltage control
    • SoundControl
    • OC to 2.7GHz and UC support
    • Cpu limiter
    • 2-Way Call Recording support
    • Simple GPU Algorithm
    • Simple_ondemand GPU Governor fixed
    • exFat support
    • ntfs support (bugged)
    • Oversharpening fix
    • DriveDroid support
    • android logger sysfs toggle (disabled by default)
    • high priority workqueue
    • Many under the hood fixes
    • Stability
    • More to come

How to apply it? (Installation)

IMPORTANT: Read through all the requirements, steps and warnings before you do anything, if any requirement doesn't match or you don't know what one or more of the steps below mean or do, ask before you do any of them, if you don't know how all the steps can be done, let it be, I warned you, if you don't do and something bad happens, I'll just laugh at you!!

Requirements? Yes!
    • D850
    • Custom Recovery
    • Stock or Stock Based ROM (no AOSP)

How to flash the kernel?

• Download zip
    • Place on internal or external SD
    • Reboot to recovery
    • Choose install zip
    • Search for the downloaded zip
    • Confirm flashing
    • Wipe cache
    • Reboot
    • Have fun

How to boot unbumped kernels?

Only needed for the img files prior version 1.7

• Plugin your device to the PC
    • Open a terminal and execute
      Code:
      adb shell                                                                                                                                # open a shell over adb
      su                                                                                                                                                    # change to superuser
      dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/laf of=/storage/external_SD/stock-laf.img    # backup the stock download mode to your external sd
      exit                                                                                                                                                  # exit the superuser shell
      exit                                                                                                                                                  # exit the adb shell
      adb pull /storage/external_SD/stock-laf.img .                                                                             # backup the download mode image from you external sd to the PC
      adb shell
      su
      dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/laf                                                # remove the stock download mode
      BEWARE, THIS WILL REMOVE YOUR DOWNLOAD MODE!!! YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO FLASH KDZ FILES BEFORE YOU RESTORED IT!!!!

Turn off the device completely, plug in the USB-cable, if you pulled it out and start the device by holding vol up + power till you see some white text on the screen, fastboot should be written somewhere on the screen, afterwards execute the following command on the PC (while in the directory you've downloaded the kernel image to).

D850:
      Code:
      fastboot boot D850-rin-1.6.img             # boot the kernel

BEWARE, NEVER USE FLASH AT FASTBOOT ONLY BOOT, IT WILL TRIGGER SECURITY OF THE LOCKED BOOTLOADER AND YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO BOOT ANYMORE!!!!

You're done now and booted to the custom kernel!

How to make sure you're running the kernel?

To check if you properly booted into the kernel execute this in the command line (terminal emulater or through adb shell):

Code:
    cat /proc/version

it should show

Code:
    Linux version 3.4.0-rin-g58903a9-dirty (tectas@tectas-rogg750jx) (gcc version 4.9.1 20140710 (prerelease) (crosstool-NG linaro-1.13.1+bzr2673 - Linaro GCC 2014.07 - Cortex-A15) ) #53 SMP PREEMPT Thu Aug 14 13:26:42 CEST 2014

Once more a warning READ IT!!:

BEWARE, when you reboot you'll boot to the stock kernel, you'll have to boot the custom kernel over fastboot every time, when you boot normally, you'll be on the stock kernel, this won't lead to issues, but you'll miss the benefits of this kernel, I know that's not optimal, but the best we can get with the locked bootloader.

How to restore Download mode?

Code:
    adb shell                              # open a shell over adb
    su                                                   # change to superuser
    dd if=/storage/external_SD/stock-laf.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/laf    # restore the stock download mode from the backup on your external sd

Changes? (Changelog)

26.11.2014/1.8.5

• Less frequency steps to UC (better performance for governors hitting each step)
    • Oversharpening fix (Credits to @Skin1980)
    • Kernel now flashed with dd within recovery
    • Added external radio-iris-transport module to fix fm radio

20.11.2014/1.8
    • build with sabermod 4.9
    • Graphite build flags
    • NTFS support
    • sysfs interface for android logger (Logger disabled by default)
    • TCP cong algorithms (BIC, Westwood, HTCP, Vegas, Veno, Yeah)
    • More frequency steps between 300Mhz and 2.7Ghz

17.11.2014/1.7.2
    • Raise max microvolt at cpu for pm8941 and pma8084 (Possible Green Screen Fix)
    • Additional warnings fixed

12.11.2014/1.7
    • images bumped
    • flashable zip

23.10.2014/1.6
    • D850 support added
    • Simple GPU Algorithm Support
    • Overclocking up to 2.76 Ghz
    • exfat support
    • intelli-thermal v2 added
    • smartmax governor added
    • memutil optimizations
    • build with NEON kernel mode
    • 2-way call recording patch
    • DriveDroid cdrom emulation support
    • Faux SoundControl
    • Simple-OnDemand fixed
    • Cpu Freq Limiter
    • some small fixes and enhancements

14.08.2014/1.0.1
    • net/ipv4|include/asm-generic: Enhancement of out of bounds fix

• Initial release

Full list of commits can be found here

Where to get it from? (Downloads)

AndroidFileHost | xda | dev host | google drive | trialsrider1

Let me test!! (Beta Testing Community)

Google+ LG G3 Beta Testing Community

Show me the so(u)rce(ry)! (Source Code)

https://github.com/tectas/android_kernel_lge_msm8974ac/tree/rin-kitkat

Donators (huge thanks, you're simply great :) )

Credits

If you like my work, please show your appreciation by pressing the thanks button, if you want to do more, i've nothing against a little donation, but I'm as happy when you just thank me by pressing the button :)

XDA:DevDB Information
    Rin Kernel, Kernel for the AT&T LG G3

Contributors
    Tectas
    Source Code: https://github.com/tectas/android_kernel_lge_msm8974ac/tree/rin-kitkat

Kernel Special Features:

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 1.8.5
    Stable Release Date: 2014-11-26

Created 2014-10-24
    Last Updated 2015-01-09
    Here you go, if the OP wants to use this link as well that's perfectly fine, just add it to the OP as it's my own server and domain.

http://trialsrider1.com/index.php?dir=kernels/
    Hey Tectas, how about an AOSP kernel? ;)

Thanks

Already working on it ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to your knowledge, added another mirror, just in case:

google drive
    Ok party people, let's get the game started, here is 1.7.

What does it serve?

• images bumped
    • flashable zip

Download

WARNING TO THOSE WITH THE GREEN SCREEN, NOT FIXED YET, SO DON'T FLASH THIS!!!! An additional image for those will follow later today!!!

D850-rin-1.7.zip: AndroidFileHost | xda | dev host
    md5sum: cd9fe5141ffa855620b10f823f1a7857

Yes, as soon as the bump method is released I can build a flashable and you can flash it through recovery like usual and don't have to worry about booting it through fastboot.

Sent from my LG-D855