Post Reply

[q]What programing skills do i need for compiling android from source

OP devilakos

17th August 2014, 10:18 AM   |  #1  
devilakos's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 46
 
201 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
More
Hello i would like to make my first steps as an android developer..i know this **** is difficult and i know you should learn many staff about os stractures etc and of cource a good understanding of some programming[c java]... but i am intrigued by those things[i am also starting my studies about programming in university] but i dont know where to start and what exactly should i learn to have a good understanding about android and be ready to start compiling. building and porting android source to some devices[i know it will take some time but i dont care as i really like programming ]
[ i know some basic stuff about roms kitchens logcat porting and i have really basic level of programing skills [ but i suppose that is not enough]
17th August 2014, 10:29 AM   |  #2  
SMillerNL's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Lisse
Thanks Meter: 1,053
 
3,244 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2011
Donate to Me
More
The only skill required for compiling a rom is reading. There are thousands of tutorials about how to do this.
Porting ROMs to different devices will require some more skill, I think most of the difficulty is in the C part although I personally don't have experience with this.
The Following User Says Thank You to SMillerNL For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th August 2014, 08:10 PM   |  #3  
david makarove's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Moscow
Thanks Meter: 663
 
540 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2014
More
Most important thing is java
if you successfully compiled ROM and found bugs like FC
you will find it very hard to fix
learn java then continue and then follow the guide by @jackeagle and his awesome team

Sent from my C2105 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to david makarove For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th August 2014, 01:23 PM   |  #4  
devilakos's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 46
 
201 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by david makarove

Most important thing is java
if you successfully compiled ROM and found bugs like FC
you will find it very hard to fix
learn java then continue and then follow the guide by @jackeagle and his awesome team

Sent from my C2105 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

but java is for android apps...isnt c that is used to fix errors in drivers. kernel etc??
18th August 2014, 05:23 PM   |  #5  
david makarove's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Moscow
Thanks Meter: 663
 
540 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilakos

but java is for android apps...isnt c that is used to fix errors in drivers. kernel etc??

Yup
But you must don't forget
android 50% of it is apps
Java required for help in fixing bugs in your ROM
For example if you have FC while choosing an option in settings
What you should do ?
Let's think a bit
Settings at the it is an apk file
apk = android app = written with java = can fixed with java
don't go to final phase fast
Start from zero and learn Java and then you can start with ROM development
and then Learn c/c++ then start with kernel development
Do that and make your life easier
you will find that hard a bit in the begins (nothing easy in this life and nothing impossible)
but at the end you will find your self an expert


Hit thanks if i helped you


Sent from my C2105 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to david makarove For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th August 2014, 08:06 PM   |  #6  
devilakos's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 46
 
201 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by david makarove

Yup
But you must don't forget
android 50% of it is apps
Java required for help in fixing bugs in your ROM
For example if you have FC while choosing an option in settings
What you should do ?
Let's think a bit
Settings at the it is an apk file
apk = android app = written with java = can fixed with java
don't go to final phase fast
Start from zero and learn Java and then you can start with ROM development
and then Learn c/c++ then start with kernel development
Do that and make your life easier
you will find that hard a bit in the begins (nothing easy in this life and nothing impossible)
but at the end you will find your self an expert


Hit thanks if i helped you


Sent from my C2105 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

nice i will probably do this...thank you mate.........you know being a programmer and a mobile software development was my dream since i was 14 and got my first android device...but i never kinda worked on it as i found it hard to learn all these stuff by myself , and there was not many tutorials...well now here i am..learning about those stuff and loving it more every day..again thank you
20th August 2014, 08:59 PM   |  #7  
shimp208's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 1,587
 
2,258 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilakos

nice i will probably do this...thank you mate.........you know being a programmer and a mobile software development was my dream since i was 14 and got my first android device...but i never kinda worked on it as i found it hard to learn all these stuff by myself , and there was not many tutorials...well now here i am..learning about those stuff and loving it more every day..again thank you

Never stop dreaming and learning, let me know if you want any links to any subject matter your particularly interested in.

The Following User Says Thank You to shimp208 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Android by ThreadRank