Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,055 Members 48,092 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

developing with eclipse

Tip us?

yigajoel
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default developing with eclipse

i already set up my environment and know all the basics eg am ok with hello world apps but now i want to write a messaging app like whatsapp.....am using jdk+eclipse+sdk+adt...

panwrona
Old
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
Congratulations, so?

Hvedrung
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Start with basic android apps first to get an overview of your possibilities before go for a big app.
Whatsapp might look simple but it's pretty huge, not a beginner job.

hiphop12ism
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Start from basics, brush up your java,

Get a nice ebook like:
Begining android development
Learning android development

Sent from my GT-P3100 using XDA Free mobile app

mohamedrashad
Old
Thanks Meter 442
learn using the whole android APIs (notifications , listeners, list views, data bases...etc), make some little apps and think of a big one then
Pi Locker is updated to V3.1 with amazing additions and upgrading go and try it >>> Google play || XDA

crashlog
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Only client, No server?

12er
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Maybe make it your goal to develop something smaller than Whatsapp for the start ... maybe a very simple app, which requires some sort of client / server communication, and consists of an Android client, and a server application running on a server, which can be reached over the network (of course the server application won't be an android app). Have a look at this:
http://www.compiletimeerror.com/2013...l#.U_z-uvmSzYx

After getting acquainted with that you will have to learn about some protocols like for instance Jabber (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XMPP, for icq or skype the specs are closed making things difficult). And providing such services on the server side can become even more complex. To handle potentially thousands of requests simultaneously, for instance the shared nothing architecture can be deployed, which handles requests in a decentralized way using multiple servers.
But for a simple chat program, which you'd like to implement just for fun, the above tutorial might be enough.

Lock Apps and Functions Easily with Droid Protector

Access and security are some of the key issues facingmobile technology. Whether … more

ARChon Lets You Run Android Apps in Google Chrome Browser

Not too long ago, Google added the ability torun select Android applications on … more

Flyme OS Finds Its Way to the Google Nexus 5

Flyme OS is a heavily modified Android variantdeveloped by the Meizu team for their MX … more

MultiROM Makes Its Way to the LG G2

Over the last few weeks, we’ve seen quite a fewflagship (and former flagship) devicesget to … more