Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,359 Members 40,131 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Native Android SDK vs PhoneGap/Cordova

Tip us?

Isaac Lean
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Native Android SDK vs PhoneGap/Cordova

Hi, just wanted to get your opinions of developing apps with the native Android SDK versus PhoneGap/Cordova.

I have coded an app using the Android SDK before, but I found the SDK to be a bit difficult to work with even though it is very powerful. I haven't tried making an app in PhoneGap/Cordova yet, but I'm a very experienced web developer so developing an app with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript sounds very enticing to me. Still I don't know the actual details to making an app with PhoneGap/Cordova though since I've yet to try it.

Besides the benefit of PhoneGap/Cordova being cross-platform, what are your thoughts on each one and which one do you prefer and why?

deanwray
Old
Thanks Meter 418

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Lean View Post
Hi, just wanted to get your opinions of developing apps with the native Android SDK versus PhoneGap/Cordova.

I have coded an app using the Android SDK before, but I found the SDK to be a bit difficult to work with even though it is very powerful. I haven't tried making an app in PhoneGap/Cordova yet, but I'm a very experienced web developer so developing an app with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript sounds very enticing to me. Still I don't know the actual details to making an app with PhoneGap/Cordova though since I've yet to try it.

Besides the benefit of PhoneGap/Cordova being cross-platform, what are your thoughts on each one and which one do you prefer and why?
My personal opinion is that any web app thats on play/app stores should have to have some logo or something to say thats what they are. From a user point there is no comparison really, like comparing a chrome/web app on PC to a native win/linux app, they don't really compare and I personally as a user have yet to see web apps impress. However having said that there is always variance to any argument, I think here it depends on context. So for my app Smart Messenger, there is zero chance as a web app, or if it were possible the experience would be way too bad for the user. However consider a simple listings app that just has a few screens, maybe not as bad. Dont get me wrong, still think web apps should come with a sticker so the user knows not to download, but the experience would fall a shorter distance to native based on complexity/context.

Just my thoughts

surlac
Old
Thanks Meter 1
It depends on the requirements of the app: if you need to build functionally simple app quickly and spread it across the platforms, then it's better to use hybrid/web app. If you need sophisticated functionality (e.g. games), which has to heavily utilize mobile device's facilities (hardware/software) then the best bet would be to use Android SDK.

deanwray
Old
Thanks Meter 418

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlac View Post
It depends on the requirements of the app: if you need to build functionally simple app quickly and spread it across the platforms, then it's better to use hybrid/web app. If you need sophisticated functionality (e.g. games), which has to heavily utilize mobile device's facilities (hardware/software) then the best bet would be to use Android SDK.
erm not just games, any app that you want fluid and responsive that can't be just a html/php site through a browser .... btw I speak from a user point here, not just a dev. I have yet to find a web app that I would even consider keeping on the phone/tablet... I prefer to use a browser to access the info, not some fakey thing.

rootRootRoute
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Performance is a big factor. If it's a simple app you may sure as well go with Phonegap etc. but for an advanced, more complex app native is always the best options as it will provide much better performance than a Phonegap app.

NobleDroid
Old
Thanks Meter 43

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootRootRoute View Post
Performance is a big factor. If it's a simple app you may sure as well go with Phonegap etc. but for an advanced, more complex app native is always the best options as it will provide much better performance than a Phonegap app.
I strongly agree here... Ive used both and Phonegap lacks alot in Performance on Android (not on iOS).
If you want a a cross platform frameworks consider Xamarin (C#)
Code:
 http://xamarin.com

khashayarp
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobleDroid View Post
I strongly agree here... Ive used both and Phonegap lacks alot in Performance on Android (not on iOS).
If you want a a cross platform frameworks consider Xamarin (C#)
I'm using phonegap for my app it works great on android too.
Try using the ionic framework, it is a game changer.

deanwray
Old
Thanks Meter 418

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by khashayarp View Post
I'm using phonegap for my app it works great on android too.
Try using the ionic framework, it is a game changer.
As both a developer and user I have yet to see a web app that I would even consider leaving on my phone once I obviously see it's just a local website I have often asked for examples of really good web apps and never seen a single one...

Would it be possible to check out yours ?

Just interested... cheers

khashayarp
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwray View Post
As both a developer and user I have yet to see a web app that I would even consider leaving on my phone once I obviously see it's just a local website I have often asked for examples of really good web apps and never seen a single one...

Would it be possible to check out yours ?

Just interested... cheers
I have posted it on xda (http://forum.xda-developers.com/andr...-note-t2861937)