Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,559 Members 52,045 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

playing audio files in an app

Tip us?
 
xirokx
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 190
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North London
Default playing audio files in an app

Hi there

I am desperate for advice and support on how to develop an android app that plays music audio files.

The app itself would have a home screen, about screen and a tracks screen.

The user when they navigate to tracks screen would have a list view of music audio files they can listen to on their android device.

The music audio file itself can either be stored in a SQL server database or ftp site , I don't know what would be best in terms of delivering optimal performance for end user?

The app would be like a service that would just play in the back ground allowing users to use their phone whilst listening to the music track(s).

My problems are:

- how can I actually develop this?
- there are no tutorials on the net, all music playing apps on YouTube, stack overflow and other websites do not show how to read music from SQL or ftp server.

I would be eternally grateful to anyone who could kindly advise me:

- best way to store each music audio file? Ftp or SQL
- in any case SQL would have to be used I believe to store the weblinks if I were to use FTP
- each music file of which there are around 150-180 is around 100mb in size and is of mp3 quality

Please , please , please can you help me develop this? Or guide me so I may be able to do it.

Please advise me on best way to set this up and get me started...

Thank you in advance
Samsung Galaxy SII i9100
ROM: Sabermod SlimRom 4.4.2 (KIT KAT BABY!!! Thanks FusioJack)
Theme: T.B.C.
Kernel: TWRP
 
deanwray
Old
#2  
deanwray's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 407
Posts: 1,088
Join Date: Apr 2006

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by xirokx View Post
Hi there

I am desperate for advice and support on how to develop an android app that plays music audio files.

The app itself would have a home screen, about screen and a tracks screen.

The user when they navigate to tracks screen would have a list view of music audio files they can listen to on their android device.

The music audio file itself can either be stored in a SQL server database or ftp site , I don't know what would be best in terms of delivering optimal performance for end user?

The app would be like a service that would just play in the back ground allowing users to use their phone whilst listening to the music track(s).

My problems are:

- how can I actually develop this?
- there are no tutorials on the net, all music playing apps on YouTube, stack overflow and other websites do not show how to read music from SQL or ftp server.

I would be eternally grateful to anyone who could kindly advise me:

- best way to store each music audio file? Ftp or SQL
- in any case SQL would have to be used I believe to store the weblinks if I were to use FTP
- each music file of which there are around 150-180 is around 100mb in size and is of mp3 quality

Please , please , please can you help me develop this? Or guide me so I may be able to do it.

Please advise me on best way to set this up and get me started...

Thank you in advance
sounds like you need to do lots more research and maybe a few tutorials for a better understanding. I would suspect 99% of developers would host file though http/s (not ftp) and yes all song info and metadata in SQL and delivered though php.

Binary Storage in SQL is not out of the question using BLOBS but not well suited in your case.

hope that helps, sounds simple enough
 
xirokx
Old
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 190
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North London
Quote:
sounds like you need to do lots more research and maybe a few tutorials for a better understanding.
thanks for your reply

i have tried looking for tutorials for hours on end and its a very niche area, i could not find any.....do you know of any? have you tried looking for tutorials?

Quote:
I would suspect 99% of developers would host file though http/s (not ftp) and yes all song info and metadata in SQL and delivered though php.
how do you host mp3 files using HTTPs ?

Quote:
sounds simple enough
if its that simple, perhaps you would not mind guiding me to acheive it?

the page in the app which contains the mp3 files would have a listview or gridview with the names of the mp3s so when user clicks on them the mp3 plays in the background...

perhaps you can create an example if possible? i would be so grateful.

thank you
Samsung Galaxy SII i9100
ROM: Sabermod SlimRom 4.4.2 (KIT KAT BABY!!! Thanks FusioJack)
Theme: T.B.C.
Kernel: TWRP
 
deanwray
Old
#4  
deanwray's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 407
Posts: 1,088
Join Date: Apr 2006

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by xirokx View Post

i have tried looking for tutorials for hours on end and its a very niche area, i could not find any.....do you know of any? have you tried looking for tutorials?
You will never find a tutorial to do an exact app for what you want But you will find 1000's of how to store and use data from a database, 1000's for how to use mySQL and php in android, 1000's for listviews and gridviews powered by adapters and data and again 1000's or hundreds on how to stream audio from web servers using android

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirokx View Post
how do you host mp3 files using HTTPs ?
upload them ? not sure what your question is here, you place the file on the server and use the URL ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirokx View Post
if its that simple, perhaps you would not mind guiding me to achieve it?

the page in the app which contains the mp3 files would have a listview or gridview with the names of the mp3s so when user clicks on them the mp3 plays in the background...

perhaps you can create an example if possible? i would be so grateful.

thank you
It contains such a generic set of tasks you really dont need me to write it for you.... I'm always happy to answer direct specific questions, but you will seldom get an answer for "how do I do x app"... but like I said, what you want is very common, so there is tonnes of resource online
 
xirokx
Old
#5  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 190
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North London
thanks for your reply

Quote:
You will never find a tutorial to do an exact app for what you want But you will find 1000's of how to store and use data from a database, 1000's for how to use mySQL and php in android, 1000's for listviews and gridviews powered by adapters and data and again 1000's or hundreds on how to stream audio from web servers using android
If only the world was perfect and I could find an "exact" tutorial.....If I thought it was that easy I would never have started my thread.

really? 1000s or 100s.....yet you cannot point me to one?

Quote:
It contains such a generic set of tasks you really dont need me to write it for you.... I'm always happy to answer direct specific questions, but you will seldom get an answer for "how do I do x app"... but like I said, what you want is very common, so there is tonnes of resource online
if it is that generic and simple, I do not understand why you cannot guide me more, at least to the 1000's or 100's of tutorials you claim that exist and especially as I have mentioned I cannot find them.

Try and see it from my point of view, I am new to this, trying, well actually REALLY REALLY want to learn, have spent hours researching for adhoc tutorials that will enable me to grasp the "generic" concept and have not found much / anything to help me.

Then you come along and make such a bold claim basically saying its "simple and easy, generic and quite straightforward" yet you cannot backup your claim by providing any of these "easy to find, 1000's or 100s tutorials" and are not willing to help any more then this.

Personally if I thought something was that easy, how much of my valuable time is it really going to take me, to provide someone who wants to learn with a few lines of code to get them started, especially after making such BOLD claims....

If I was not willing to, I would not even bother replying, it would have been far more beneficial if you responded with some example code rather then claiming how simple it was to do, I see no evidence that is it so easy only your claims...

Thanks for your time
Samsung Galaxy SII i9100
ROM: Sabermod SlimRom 4.4.2 (KIT KAT BABY!!! Thanks FusioJack)
Theme: T.B.C.
Kernel: TWRP
 
deanwray
Old
(Last edited by deanwray; 14th July 2014 at 06:34 PM.)
#6  
deanwray's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 407
Posts: 1,088
Join Date: Apr 2006

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by xirokx View Post
Seriously though, this is me using google

http://developer.android.com/guide/t...a-storage.html
http://developer.android.com/trainin...databases.html
http://www.vogella.com/tutorials/And...e/article.html

http://www.androidhive.info/2012/05/...ith-php-mysql/
http://www.androidhive.info/2012/05/...ith-php-mysql/
http://www.mybringback.com/tutorial-...-mysql-part-1/
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2325799

http://developer.android.com/guide/t...diaplayer.html
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...dio-in-android
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...ng-mediaplayer


if you use google you will find 1000's more results, they were just the top ones really, not sure why you cant find any...seriously pages and pages of relevant results, what were you actually searching for ? as in search terms ... maybe thats the prob ?


Also yes it is generic and yes almost every app uses those components and has had to complete those tasks. Trust me on this, remote database + online resources are in 90% of apps But it's the tasks that have 1000s of tutorials and reference, not the app.... like i say "android database tutorial", "android mysql online database","android media stream url"

hope that helps
 
xirokx
Old
#7  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 190
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North London
thanks alot....I will check them out and get back to you

so grateful for your help
Samsung Galaxy SII i9100
ROM: Sabermod SlimRom 4.4.2 (KIT KAT BABY!!! Thanks FusioJack)
Theme: T.B.C.
Kernel: TWRP

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


TRENDING IN THEMER...