[Q] Text to American Sign Language Translator App Development Help

OP Vlasp

18th August 2014, 11:53 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Plano, Texas
Thanks Meter: 113

575 posts
More
I am trying to make an app that allows the user to input text, and then images meaning that word come up on the screen. I already have Eclipse set up on my linux 64 bit box. How would I do this, as I am just starting to learn android development? I am trying to make this app using this tutorial: https://developer.android.com/traini...ilding-ui.html but changing the activity so it shows images in a sequence (kinda like a GIF). Any way to do this?
Last edited by Vlasp; 19th August 2014 at 12:00 AM.
21st August 2014, 12:26 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 184

268 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlasp

I am trying to make an app that allows the user to input text, and then images meaning that word come up on the screen. I already have Eclipse set up on my linux 64 bit box. How would I do this, as I am just starting to learn android development? I am trying to make this app using this tutorial: https://developer.android.com/traini...ilding-ui.html but changing the activity so it shows images in a sequence (kinda like a GIF). Any way to do this?

I think you should create an ArrayList with the images and keywords.
Then if you click the search button you have to loop trough all the items and check if the keywords contain your searched text if so then you add the image to your layout else you don't.

Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Last edited by Rick Clephas; 21st August 2014 at 12:29 AM.
21st August 2014, 07:54 PM   |  #3  
Flag Aachen
Thanks Meter: 337

345 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Clephas

I think you should create an ArrayList with the images and keywords.
Then if you click the search button you have to loop trough all the items and check if the keywords contain your searched text if so then you add the image to your layout else you don't.

Hope this helps

Agreed, but I think a HashMap<String, Integer> would be better in this case .

@OP: I don't get the second part of the question with the GIF, try to start with only an EditText, a Button and an ImageView. Then learn how to get the text which the user entered and set up the hashmap and your image resources.
21st August 2014, 07:55 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 184

268 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplicityApks

Agreed, but I think a HashMap<String, Integer> would be better in this case .

@OP: I don't get the second part of the question with the GIF, try to start with only an EditText, a Button and an ImageView. Then learn how to get the text which the user entered and set up the hashmap and your image resources.

Yes that would probably be better :thumbup:

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, eclipse
Previous Thread Next Thread