Dual boot Dell Venue 8 (3830) only

Search This thread

heronewone

Aug 17, 2016
Need help , plz

Thanks for this link, not only was I able to unbrick, I also got dual boot working, it's awesome. I'd like to donate a few bucks for not only your time and effort helping me, but also for your development for this tablet. If you don't accept donations, perhaps there's a project or charity you support, just let me know.

Sent from my LG-D851

I have the exact same problem as you had , but the instructions in the dell pdf did not work with me .
could you please tell me what u did exactly ?
thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread is about dual booting Dell venue 8 (3830) and is only for Dell venue 8 (3830)

You need to have already unlocked bootloader, have cwm recovery installed, no help will be given in this thread for rooting, unlocking bootloader or installing cwm recovery.
    You need a micro sdcard , I use class 10 sandisk micro sdcard, you need to format micro sdcard into 3 partitions, 1st partition fat32, 2nd and 3rd partitions ext4.

1st partition is external sdcard, you need this large enough to store files.
    2nd partition is system at least 1GB
    3rd partition is going to be for data so you might want it to be 4GB or larger

depending on the size of your micro sdcard, will determine how large partitions you can make, you can make them small first time, just so you can understand how this works, you can always reformat the micro sdcard later and redo this entire process.

I use gparted, as I use Linux, you can use whatever partition tool you want to partition your micro sdcard.

Insert your micro sdcard into a reader, insert your reader into your pc and partition micro sdcard, below is a sample pic.

sdcardq.png

Once done place micro sdcard into your tablet.

Now download dell_venue_8_dual_boot.zip
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/f1wk0331eirlzde/dell_venue_8_dual_boot.zip

extract to desktop, all three zip files goes onto your sdcard, or micro sdcard up to you, create a folder name it dual_boot on either internal sdcard, or external one, place all three zips into that folder.

Boot into recovery navigate to 4.3.zip then install, once installed click back then navigate to sdcard_boot.zip then install reboot to system, tablet should now boot into 4.3,
    To switch back to 4.4, boot into recovery navigate to phone_boot.zip and install then reboot to system, you should then boot into 4.4.

Added another 4.3 rom, this rom doesn't try to update to 4.4.2, I pulled this rom from http://opensource.dell.com/releases/Venue_8_3830_CloverTrail_plus/developer-edition/

Download
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/7s5vpbvmj44jr9q/Sdcard_MDK_4.3.zip

use same sdcard_boot.zip from other 4.3 rom.
    There's any chance to downgrade the tablet from 4.4 to 4.3 without having the 2 versions of android?
    Yes just flash 4.3 stock rom and stock 4.3 boot.img through my recovery.
    I will need to make them and upload them, at some point.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk
    Thanks i did it a few minutes ago, but i have a question, for what are this files:

partition.tbl
    image.list
    ifwi/ (folder)

And it's neccesary to disable ota updates to avoid update to android 4.4? because tablet downloaded it.
    They aren't needed just delete them.

Also, like i mentioned before, the tablet downloaded the android 4.4 update (like 340Mb), if i reboot the tablet, the update will get installed? or how can i avoid to update to android 4.4?
    The easiest way is to go to cache you will see the update there make an empty zip file using same now as zip in your cache, then delete the real update and replace with empty zip.

do you mean the directory: /cache? because is empty.
    Yes cache partition, it's not empty you need to be root to see in cache.
    The name of the zip is 0d7bfbe5968f01664ed5f9aec8bb0bbd0e2704f1.P801_KK4.4_wifi_user_signed_US_update_gota_package_25-33.zip
    I just checked my cache.