[How to]Root - Install cwm/twrp - Install a custom kernel - Install a custom rom

Do you have a Singel Sim or Dual Sim Desire 500?

• Single SIim

Votes: 237 65.8%
  • Dual Sim

Votes: 123 34.2%

• Total voters
Search This thread

wordone1

Dec 13, 2017
Desire 500 root help

Hello everyone,

software 1.34
hboot 1.03.001
radio 14.16.36Q4.22

I was following this tutorial in order to root the Desire 500 and get the James Rom. I followed the steps in the tutorial up to the point where I got the Ultimate Kernel (version 8 no overclock for 1.34) to get rid of the S-ON/S-OFF things.

Everything worked fine without any error messages in cwm-recovery but I still do not seem to have root rights (phone does not boot with SU-App, after getting it from the store it says I do not have root rights). Going back to the bootloader, it still says S-ON

Also, I am still unable to "mount system" and "mount devlog" in recovery.

The last thing that is a bit weird is that when I booted the phone for the first time after these procedures, it seemed it was not completely wiped. It still had some apps on it and I did not have to go through the "first phone steps" as usual. Shouldn't unlocking the bootloader have wiped the device completely?

I wonder how to get the root rights done, should I repeat the steps from the beginning? What is the best option to do a complete wipe in recovery?

I hope this thread is still alive and someone has some ideas - thanks in advance :laugh:

Wordone

Zseblampas

Oct 12, 2017
To sim unlock your device, you need to have CWM on your device and you need to have adb installed.
It doesn't work with twrp, because adb doesn't work.
Boot your device into cwm. Connect your device to your computer (with the cable:p), and connect with:
Code:
adb shell
then, type:
Code:
strings -n 8 /dev/block/mmcblk0p7
The output will be a lot of rubbish, but you need to And In the case of ATRAC3, it was K65151479, so his unlock code was 65151479. I haven't tested this myself, because my device was never sim locked, but it should work.
Full credits for this go to @ATRAC3, this post.

Yay, it worked on my phone too! I spared some money this way! You made my day! :good:(thanked)
And made it again with another D500! Same carrier btw.

Last edited:

Zseblampas

Oct 12, 2017
Hello everyone,

software 1.34
hboot 1.03.001
radio 14.16.36Q4.22

I was following this tutorial in order to root the Desire 500 and get the James Rom. I followed the steps in the tutorial up to the point where I got the Ultimate Kernel (version 8 no overclock for 1.34) to get rid of the S-ON/S-OFF things.

Everything worked fine without any error messages in cwm-recovery but I still do not seem to have root rights (phone does not boot with SU-App, after getting it from the store it says I do not have root rights). Going back to the bootloader, it still says S-ON

Also, I am still unable to "mount system" and "mount devlog" in recovery.

The last thing that is a bit weird is that when I booted the phone for the first time after these procedures, it seemed it was not completely wiped. It still had some apps on it and I did not have to go through the "first phone steps" as usual. Shouldn't unlocking the bootloader have wiped the device completely?

I wonder how to get the root rights done, should I repeat the steps from the beginning? What is the best option to do a complete wipe in recovery?

I hope this thread is still alive and someone has some ideas - thanks in advance :laugh:

Wordone
Hi, you don't need S-OFF to have James ROM installed, you need S-OFF only if you want to change the hboot to let's say the Kangbang one, but James ROM works fine with the stock HBOOT.
On the other hand, you may have issues with the CWM if it's the wrong version. With the wrong version you can't even hard reset your phone (will get an error message about cannot format system). Try to install another version of CWM and see if you can do everything right. I have on my phone the PhilZ CWM Advanced Edition 5, based on Base Edition 6.0.3.7. It's a non-touch version with a displaying issue, but everything else works like a charm.
Oh, i almost forgot: you won't need to root your phone before installing James ROM, this ROM is already rooted and the CWM doesn't need root rights from the ROM installed, it has it on it's own :D

Last edited:

Zseblampas

Oct 12, 2017
I want to install cwm recovery mood in htc can you tell me how it done

If you have the drivers installed, copy your CWM into c:\windows\yourusername folder and rename it to something easy to type in like recovery.img,
-restart your phone into bootloader and select Fastboot and connect it to the pc with a usb cable. You must see on screen fastboot usb instead of simply fastboot
-open a command prompt in Windows with administrator privileges and type fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
If everything goes fine, you get a message about the work done.
Now you can disconnect the phone from the pc and you can enter the newly installed CWM.
I hope i didn't miss anything. oh, pls read the first post before doing something wrong!

Reactions: Ali jee330

Zseblampas

Oct 12, 2017
Kindly you send me link of driver
I really don't know what driver i use, because i have installed a lot of them one over the other, but here is a driver which should do the job.
P.S.: Here are the instructions from the first post, just to remind you:
"Before you begin, you might want to check for updates on your phone, because it is harder to install an update after your phone is unlocked.

If you see any english mistakes, please pm me about them. English is not my native tongue.

The steps:
1. Unlock the bootloader via htcdev.com
2. Flash a custom recovery, ClockWorkMod or TeamWinRecoveryProject
3. Flash SuperSU
4. Flash a kernel without system write protection

Alternatively:
1. Flash a custom rom
2. Simunlock your device
3. Install Busybox
4. Install an ota upgrade

Everything is at your own risk!
"

Last edited:

Ali jee330

Aug 29, 2018
This is actually quite easy, if you just unlocked your bootloader. The only trick will be selecting the right recovery to flash ;)

Now, there are two three things you need to think about when choosing a recovery:
1. Do you have hboot 1.03 or a lower version
2. Do you want ClockWorkMod or TeamWinRecoveryProject (both are usually abbreviated as you might expect)
3. Do you have dual sim or single sim

1. To check your hboot version, boot your phone into fastboot mode (you got this, check the post up there ^). The third line will be something like:
HBOOT-1.02.0001 or HBOOT-1.01.0001 or HBOOT-1.03.0001. As you might have guessed, this is your hboot:rolleyes:
2. cwm or twrp, that's the question.
Cwm is a no touch recovery. That means you have to use the powerbuttons/volumebuttons to move around which is quite annoying. Twrp however, is a touch recovery, much easier to use.
But with twrp, adb doesn't work, which can sometimes be useful if you are a developer. (twrp is not (yet) available for dual sim).

So, it's your choice: twrp or cwm. If you have single sim, you can pick both, if you have dual sim, you can only get cwm.
Downloads:

Credits for cwm go to @SPSPaWn and credits for the fix of the dancing screen go to @galaxyfreak
(credits for twrp go to me)
Now, assuming your phone is still in fastboot:

Or recovery_cwm.img etc. I assume you get it.

Wait for it to finish, and then hit BOOTLOADER, and then click one down to RECOVERY, and select it. Your phone should now boot into recovery.

Congrats, you now have a custom recovery!

Now, before jumping with joy because you did it, there is one thing you should do before you do anything else!
Make. A. Backup.
Not optional. You need to have a sdcard in your phone. On twrp, touch backup and follow the onscreen instructions (backup all the partitions that are already checked)
On cwm, you will have to use the volume buttons to scroll down to backup and restore, then select backup, and it should begin immediately.

It can take a very long time, depending on your sdcard.

-very long time-

Now, you are ready to actually root your phone.[/QUO

Last edited:

Ali jee330

Aug 29, 2018
Here you are, a copy of Philz CWM Advanced Edition v5, in my onedrive. Non-touch version, but perfectly working, except a weird displaying bug (you can live with it, i assure you).
Ok thanks:good:

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

I want to unlock my boodloader tell me steps

Ali jee330

Aug 29, 2018
If you have the drivers installed, copy your CWM into c:\windowsyourusername folder and rename it to something easy to type in like recovery.img,
-restart your phone into bootloader and select Fastboot and connect it to the pc with a usb cable. You must see on screen fastboot usb instead of simply fastboot
-open a command prompt in Windows with administrator privileges and type fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
If everything goes fine, you get a message about the work done.
Now you can disconnect the phone from the pc and you can enter the newly installed CWM.
I hope i didn't miss anything. oh, pls read the first post before doing something wrong!
When I open command prompt it shows not recognize external or internal command

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A complete guide on rooting your HTC Desire 500, both single sim and dual sim.
    Sorry for my English!

Before you begin, you might want to check for updates on your phone, because it is harder to install an update after your phone is unlocked.

If you see any english mistakes, please pm me about them. English is not my native tongue.

The steps:
    1. Unlock the bootloader via htcdev.com
    2. Flash a custom recovery, ClockWorkMod or TeamWinRecoveryProject
    3. Flash SuperSU
    4. Flash a kernel without system write protection

Alternatively:
    1. Flash a custom rom
    2. Simunlock your device
    3. Install Busybox
    4. Install an ota upgrade

Everything is at your own risk!
    [How to]Root your HTC Desire 500

Once you have your recovery installed, you can actually root your phone.
    Reboot your phone, then download SuperSU, and put it on your sdcard. Then boot into your new recovery another time. Select either "Install" or "Install zip", then install zip from sdcard, and select the SuperSU.zip you downloaded earlier.
    Congrats! You now have (partial) root!

Yes, you are not done yet. As an extra layer of security, htc prevents you from editing the system partition, with something called system write protection. To get it away, you need to install a custom kernel.
    First, check your software version. You can do this by going to "Settings"->"About Phone"->"Software version".
    Mine, for example, is: 1.32.401.3
    Now, if your software version starts with 1.20 or something lower, then you must install the Kangbang kernel, else, install the Ultimate kernel.

To install the Kangbang kernel, go here. But the installation instructions are slightly different, basically the only thing you have to do is mount /system, and then flash the zip. Don't forget to mount system!

For installation instruction on flashing the Ultimate Kernel, go here.
    Remember, you already flashed a superuser app.

Troubleshoot:
    Problem: After installing the kernel I cannot make phone calls
    Solution: Install the right kernel, according to your software version

Once you have one of the kernels installed, then your phone is fully rooted!
    [How to]Install an ota upgrade

After unlocking your bootloader, the installation of ota (over the air) upgrades fails, because it requires a locked bootloader.
    Steps to install the upgrade anyway:

Part 1:
    First, you need to download the ota. Next, pull the zip to your computer, it should be located in your downloads folder.
    Next, open the zip and remove the file firmware.zip, you will need it later. Next, open in the zip the file META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script. There, you need to remove this part:
    Code:
    ifelse( is_ship_bootloader(getprop("ro.bootloader")) == "t" ,
    assert(check_cid(getprop("ro.cid"), "00000000" , "11111111" ,
    "22222222" , "33333333" , "44444444" , "55555555" , "66666666" ,
    "77777777" , "88888888" , "99999999" , "HTC__001" , "HTC__E11" ,
    "HTC__102" , "HTC__032" , "HTC__Y13" , "HTC__M27" , "HTC__A48" ,
    "HTC__J15" , "HTC__203" , "HTC__304" , "HTC__N34" , "HTC__405") == "t");
    );
    ifelse( is_ship_bootloader(getprop("ro.bootloader")) == "t" ,
    assert(check_mid("full", "0P3Z11200") == "t");,
    assert(check_mid("simple", "0P3Z11200") == "t");
    );
    assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "z4u" ||
    getprop("ro.build.product") == "z4u");
    What you find might slightly different. For example, z4u might be z4dug, if you are on dual sim. But it usually starts at the second line of the file, so it should be to hard to find.
    Then, restore the first nandroid back-up you made, because the ota checks if the files on your system partition are modified.
    Next, you push the zip back to the sdcard again, and then flash it via your custom recovery.

Part 2:
    While you are still in your recovery, make a backup of only your data partition! Don't make a backup of your complete system!
    Now, to flash the firmware.zip, you need to lock your bootloader. Because you will have to re-unlock your bootloader after you are done, you will lose all your data again. If you are S-off, then you don't have to relock your bootloader, you can skip this.

How to re-lock your bootloader:
    1. In recovery, select: Reboot Bootloader
    2. Connect your phone to fastboot
    3. Type: fastboot oem lock
    That was easy! Your phone, however, might not boot. Don't worry about that, we will fix that later.

Now, type:
    Code:
    fastboot oem rebootRUU
    fastboot flash zip firmware.zip
    This can take a short while.
    Next:
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
    You now have flashed the firmware.zip

Congrats, you have the ota installed.
    It might be a good idea to keep your modified ota around, you might need it later on.

Now, you can unlock your bootloader again (htc dev, second post), check your hboot version again, install a custom recovery again (make a new backup. Don't throw away your old backup), root your phone again etc.
    You can now install The Ultimate Kernel!

Credits go to @ricardo-nl, this post http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2597314&page=45

To do: Make a cool bash/awk script that removes all the assert(), so the updating won't fail if you have deleted some system files.
    [How to]Unlock the bootloader

On HTC phones, by default, you can not replace a partition on the phone from your computer. To enable this, your phone has to be Unlocked.
    There is a very good video guide about this, made by @Fliwatt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWLK5XhsVAE

Unlocking your bootloader will wipe all your data!
    Unlocking your bootloader may void your warranty!

It is, however, necessary to root your phone. Currently, there is no other way to unlock the phone or install a custom recovery.

To start, go to http://www.htcdev.com
    Then in the top bar, click register. Create an account and fill in all your data. You will get an e-mail from HTC and your account will be activated.

Once you are logged in on the site, you need to go to "Unlock bootloader", and then click get started. On the right, you see a dropdown box. Click it, and select "All Other Supported Models", then click "Begin Unlock Bootloader"

Next install fastboot. I'm not gonna hold your hand here, there are 400+ tutorials on installing fastboot, for every OS you can think of. Search for one and install it.
    And, if you are on windows, then install HTC sync as well, pretty basic, even a Windows user should be able to do it;)

Next, on your phone, got to Settings->Battery and scroll down. There, disable the checkbox "fast boot" (not to confuse with fastboot, that's something entirely different).

Once you have done that, shut down your phone, then hold the volume down button, and the power button. This is commonly referred to as "booting into fastboot".
    To move around in the fastboot menu, you need the volume keys to go up and down, and the power keys to select an option.

If the options you can choose from are:
    FASTBOOT
    RECOVERY
    FACTORY RESET
    SIMLOCK
    SHOW BARCODE
    then you need to navigate to fastboot, and then hit the powerkey.
    The option you can choose from must be:
    BOOTLOADER
    REBOOT
    REBOOT BOOTLOADER
    POWER DOWN

Then, on your computer, type:
    Code:
    fastboot oem get_identifier_token
    Your output will be something like:
    Code:
    (bootloader)    
    (bootloader) < Please cut following message >
    (bootloader) <<<< Identifier Token Start >>>>
    (bootloader) 2ADE05B9466F0DD398559C7B5A6D636F
    (bootloader) 70E8FB65B9523AE73B8A22DDCD0092A2
    (bootloader) D52C617B971383374332044C0D04C492
    (bootloader) 707A43C4AAEC77A36DDE3060F7665574
    (bootloader) 22453BF1F9FDCA6E2118385B96A3C88B
    (bootloader) 4FE90D89BC086A9E9B0EA2086456D658
    (bootloader) 5831DBA6ADF940D3B0DD0618B745DD18
    (bootloader) AE37DC63341E4CBC66A8ACCB494E6AEE
    (bootloader) 5982C1432A5C5535836953243D6B8353
    (bootloader) 648EFDFD3B5F0C6D47987A0F47BC1A9F
    (bootloader) 0ABF9438C059A604832ABB87696CFDD7
    (bootloader) 1847D317701DC2C140294FD486109872
    (bootloader) 559EE22C73E4F2F9B00AF03FB12A9F9D
    (bootloader) 61DFDDD3FAB40CD8537F300078566632
    (bootloader) 2142B7EC56E99DD8C4DFB1B819F9F449
    (bootloader) 9B2DB0EA3E2FB18C293BD246012909ED
    (bootloader) <<<<< Identifier Token End >>>>>
    OKAY [  0.076s]
    finished. total time: 0.076s
    Don't use this code, it won't work. Do it yourself!

Troubleshoot:

Problem: I get
    Code:
    FAILED (status malformed (1 bytes))
    finished. total time: 0.000s
    Solution: Select the fastboot option with the powerkey.

Copy the relevant part to the HTC dev site, and submit your token. You will (should) get an e-mail that contains your unlock code. Save the attachment (Unlock_code.bin) to a location where you can find it.

Next type:
    Code:
    fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
    If you are in the same location as your unlock code, of course.

On your phone, you will now see a screen where you have to confirm that you want to unlock your phone, and that it will wipe all your data, and may void your warranty. Use the volume buttons and the power button to choose what you want.

If you selected that you want to unlock your device, then:
    Congrats, your bootloader is unlocked

But hold it, before you reboot your phone to confirm that you will have to re-type your very long wifi password, you might as well continue to installing a custom recovery:
    [How to]Simunlock

To sim unlock your device, you need to have CWM on your device and you need to have adb installed.
    It doesn't work with twrp, because adb doesn't work.
    Boot your device into cwm. Connect your device to your computer (with the cable:p), and connect with:
    Code:
    adb shell
    then, type:
    Code:
    strings -n 8 /dev/block/mmcblk0p7
    The output will be a lot of rubbish, but you need to
    look for a 8 digit combination that MAKES SENSE for a CODE.
    And In the case of ATRAC3, it was K65151479, so his unlock code was 65151479. I haven't tested this myself, because my device was never sim locked, but it should work.
    Full credits for this go to @ATRAC3, this post.