Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,490 Members 41,853 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Battery Drain Solution!

Tip us?

Kolma
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 46

DONATE TO ME
Default Battery Drain Solution!

For those that have had issues with battery drain like I did, I may have finally found the solution.
After much research and reading many threads I found that the culprit was google play services. Specifically it was Google (I believe on Now) always trying to figure out location.
It always does a quick wifi check to try and figure out what's what. However due to a bug that has been in the coding since launch of KitKat (hurry up and fix it google) it fails and will just continue to try and try and try.

Solutions I found were to turn off location access on phone or edit Google Play Services Permission, specifically disable stay awake permission.
Turning off location, google now access to location, or both resulted in temporary fixes and I believe google still tried to figure it's location via wifi despite being told not to.

Long story short...if having just wifi location doesn't work.. and having location off doesn't work...
Then why not switch mode to high accuracy in which GPS is left on!
Google uses GPS for location, it works in one try, everyone is happy!

Long story short, if you have KitKat and are experiencing high battery drain with you phone constantly awake when off.
Switch your location settings to High Accuracy. Phone is smart enough to not use GPS when not needed.
It worked for me and it might work for you too!
(Hopefully this fixes it for good)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-07-06-00-27-40[1].png
Views:	161
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	2835479  
Current Phone
Virgin Mobile HTC Desire 601
Rom: Stock 4.4.2

Previous Phones
Virgin Mobile Evo V 4G
Rom: Dirty Unicorns 4.2.2
HBoot: 1.40

Virgin Mobile LG Optimus V
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kolma For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rajat836
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolma View Post
For those that have had issues with battery drain like I did, I may have finally found the solution.
After much research and reading many threads I found that the culprit was google play services. Specifically it was Google (I believe on Now) always trying to figure out location.
It always does a quick wifi check to try and figure out what's what. However due to a bug that has been in the coding since launch of KitKat (hurry up and fix it google) it fails and will just continue to try and try and try.

Solutions I found were to turn off location access on phone or edit Google Play Services Permission, specifically disable stay awake permission.
Turning off location, google now access to location, or both resulted in temporary fixes and I believe google still tried to figure it's location via wifi despite being told not to.

Long story short...if having just wifi location doesn't work.. and having location off doesn't work...
Then why not switch mode to high accuracy in which GPS is left on!
Google uses GPS for location, it works in one try, everyone is happy!

Long story short, if you have KitKat and are experiencing high battery drain with you phone constantly awake when off.
Switch your location settings to High Accuracy. Phone is smart enough to not use GPS when not needed.
It worked for me and it might work for you too!
(Hopefully this fixes it for good)
its working bro......cheers...... great ........

Hedied4me
Old
Thanks Meter 110
So usually I just keep GPS off to save battery. What your saying is to keep GPS on with high accuracy may actually improve battery life over keeping GPS off altogether?

Sent from my Virgin Mobile CDMA HTC Desire 601 zara_cl

alatnet
Old
Thanks Meter 8
what about device sensor's setting?

dasojie
Old
Thanks Meter 0
hi all
is there anyone here already try AppOpsXposed? http://forum.xda-developers.com/xpos...s-4-3-t2564865
it's work at My desire 601 kitkat 4.4.2 without root
this apps can disable hidden system location and other thing but not sure work or not but so far my battery getting better now...

hansvongrobel
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have the same problem but the solution doesn't work.
I think you fixed the problem by charged the phone and not with switch gps (see your graph).
My solution now is only reboot.

Kolma
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 46

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansvongrobel View Post
I have the same problem but the solution doesn't work.
I think you fixed the problem by charged the phone and not with switch gps (see your graph).
My solution now is only reboot.
I have GPS switched on. it just doesn't keep it running google play services will turn it on as needed instead of trying to get location from wifi and locking up even when told not to.
Different people have had luck with different solutions and this was mine.

Here are my results from today, the first small block of awake is from me Listening to music for about an hour on 4G.
Not sure what the second block is, might have been apps that updated or the bug returning for a couple minutes. (battery was at 45% at time of pic)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-07-07-23-36-49[1].png
Views:	56
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	2839401  
Current Phone
Virgin Mobile HTC Desire 601
Rom: Stock 4.4.2

Previous Phones
Virgin Mobile Evo V 4G
Rom: Dirty Unicorns 4.2.2
HBoot: 1.40

Virgin Mobile LG Optimus V

groverXIII
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks for this! I'm going to have my wife give it a try!