Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,629 Members 40,893 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

KitKat OTA

Tip us?

groverXIII
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default KitKat OTA

Now that we have our own specific forum, would it be plausible to get some sort of step-by-step guide on how to go about installing the KitKat OTA if you're rooted? In browsing through the megathread from before, I get the impression that I will need to flash the stock recovery and relock my bootloader, then unlock once again once I've updated, but the thread itself is a bit daunting and the advice is pretty well scattered amid the various conversations there. Can we get some sort of consolidated guide from someone more knowledgeable than myself?

(Thank you in advance, by the way. I know I will be highly appreciative.)

alatnet
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by groverXIII View Post
Now that we have our own specific forum, would it be plausible to get some sort of step-by-step guide on how to go about installing the KitKat OTA if you're rooted? In browsing through the megathread from before, I get the impression that I will need to flash the stock recovery and relock my bootloader, then unlock once again once I've updated, but the thread itself is a bit daunting and the advice is pretty well scattered amid the various conversations there. Can we get some sort of consolidated guide from someone more knowledgeable than myself?

(Thank you in advance, by the way. I know I will be highly appreciative.)
This is what I followed, though you are going to lose data...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehFlash View Post
If you have the different partition layout that was introduced with the KitKat update, and also have the upgraded HBOOT then I guess i'll write up this guide. To get the phone back in proper working order, you need to do this.

1) Make sure you have the HTC drivers installed, and HTC Sync Manager fully uninstalled. ADB/Fastboot and such in working order, etc.

2) Download the KitKat OTA ZIP from Duir's Drive Folder here https://drive.google.com/uc?id=0B-kS...xport=download and open it up and take out firmware.zip

3) Get into HBOOT on the phone, and flash that firmware.zip file by running fastboot flash zip firmware.zip and also run fastboot flash update firmware.zip both will say FAIL but for me that worked if that didn't work then relock your device by running fastboot oem lock and then get back to fastboot and run fastboot oem rebootRUU (case-sensitive) and then issue fastboot flash zip firmware.zip and also run fastboot flash update firmware.zip and reboot to fastboot again

4) If you had to relock your device unlock it by getting your Unlock_code.bin from HTCdev and issue this command when you're in fastboot which is fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin

5) download Duir's TWRP recovery built for KitKat which is located here https://drive.google.com/folderview?...3M&usp=sharing grab the openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.1-zaracl.img and then flash that by issuing fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.1-zaracl.img

6) Boot up into recovery, and format Data middle button on the right and type in 'Yes' and then wipe everything (you might have to reboot back into recovery again and then wipe everything) The reason to format Data using that button is because of KitKat remapping the partitions

7) Grab the KitKat TWRP backup from here https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8-7...c4X0xoQXc/edit

8) while that downloads make a pseudo backup, and then when thats finished mount your SDcard and open up the KitKat TWRP backup on windows and just overwrite all the files in zara_cl442/zara_cl442 and then reboot back into recovery again.

9) Restore the Backup you made and overwrote with the KitKat TWRP backup

10) go into fastboot and go back to Duir's drive located here https://drive.google.com/folderview?...3M&usp=sharing and grab KK_stock_boot.img and then flash that by issuing fastboot flash boot KK_stock_boot.img in a command prompt

11) Reboot into the System and it should work

The_Greatest_Juan
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Kit Kat OTA

That seems really complicated and sort of risky. Can't we just restore stock recovery and boot. Relock boot loader. And then install the ota as downloaded.

groverXIII
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Greatest_Juan View Post
That seems really complicated and sort of risky. Can't we just restore stock recovery and boot. Relock boot loader. And then install the ota as downloaded.
That's what I was wondering. I'm alright with re-rooting afterward (and after that I'm going S-OFF so I can use Viper4Android).

On a side note, has anyone noticed higher battery consumption with KitKat? My wife (who is unrooted and generally doesn't mess with her phone) updated and her battery died twice yesterday with no real increase in usage.

Child's Play
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
That's what I was wondering. I'm alright with re-rooting afterward (and after that I'm going S-OFF so I can use Viper4Android).

On a side note, has anyone noticed higher battery consumption with KitKat? My wife (who is unrooted and generally doesn't mess with her phone) updated and her battery died twice yesterday with no real increase in usage.
Get s-off first then update kk bec if things go wrong during the update u can downgrade hboot. With s-on u cant downgrade hboot. U get stuck and theres no way to fix ur device. Ive seen this happen to somebody

groverXIII
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Child's Play View Post
Get s-off first then update kk bec if things go wrong during the update u can downgrade hboot. With s-on u cant downgrade hboot. U get stuck and theres no way to fix ur device. Ive seen this happen to somebody
Good to know. Got a link to how to get S-OFF that would prevent me from searching through the massive thread?

Child's Play
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Good to know. Got a link to how to get S-OFF that would prevent me from searching through the massive thread?
Read the instructions http://rumrunner.us/instructions/ then download rumrunner 0.5.0 under "htc universal downloads" and run it as administrator

The_Greatest_Juan
Old
Thanks Meter 0
The only thing I changed on my phone was gain root, unlock bootloader and flash Philz Touch cwm recovery. I haven't gotten s-off or changed H-boot. I don't want to change anything else if I don't have to. Is there anyway to get the update. I don't care if I lose root.

Child's Play
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Greatest_Juan View Post
The only thing I changed on my phone was gain root, unlock bootloader and flash Philz Touch cwm recovery. I haven't gotten s-off or changed H-boot. I don't want to change anything else if I don't have to. Is there anyway to get the update. I don't care if I lose root.
U should get s-off then flash stock recovery, unroot ur device and relock the bootloader then update kk by tapping "system updates" in settings or run the ruu to get everything back to stock. S-off wont be affected

The_Greatest_Juan
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Child's Play View Post
U should get s-off then flash stock recovery, unroot ur device and relock the bootloader then update kk by tapping "system updates" in settings or run the ruu to get everything back to stock. S-off wont be affected
Alright I'll try that when I get home and let you know how it goes. Thanks a bunch.