Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,161 Members 52,409 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Uh oh... MicroUSB port is failing.

Tip us?

mrplowdan
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 133
Default Uh oh... MicroUSB port is failing.

Topic says it all. My family has had 2 previous phones with failing microUSB ports. This will be the third.

The phone no longer charges without jiggling the cord into the exact proper position, it took me 10 min this time to get it just right. I can assure you it is not a charger, cord or power source issue.

Unfortunately this phone was second hand so no warranty.

Has anyone sourced any replacement parts for the zara series? When my N7 first generation's broke the cheapest replacement I could find was $50 😕 but at least I could find one.

I do have an external battery charger but that's such a pain.
My ZARA_UL Telus Files (google drive)

4.2.2 RUU
4.2.2 Stock images
4.4.2 /data apps
4.4.2 /system backup (not flashable)
4.4.2 OTA zip
4.4.2 Stock images
4.4.2 TWRP backup

mrplowdan
Old
(Last edited by mrplowdan; 28th August 2014 at 05:29 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 133
Found the OEM part number, 51H00915-02M. Now to find a cheap shop that'll ship to Canada. Looks like there are Chinese shops on eBay that'll get it here in a month for $30. Still looking...

4.2.2 RUU
4.2.2 Stock images
4.4.2 /data apps
4.4.2 OTA zip
4.4.2 Stock images
4.4.2 TWRP backup

Toyeboy
Old
Thanks Meter 23
I had my port start going bad. When it would be charging, it would suddenly stop and say can't charge in USB sync mode and the screen seemed to have a short in it because of this because it would randomly come on for no reason and it killed my battery with so much screen time. I called Virgin mobile and after a little of pointless troubleshooting they sent me a replacement overnight shipping. Seems they're familiar with this issue. Makes me maybe want to sell this new one while it's in mint condition and stock boot loader etc

mrplowdan
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyeboy View Post
I had my port start going bad. When it would be charging, it would suddenly stop and say can't charge in USB sync mode and the screen seemed to have a short in it because of this because it would randomly come on for no reason and it killed my battery with so much screen time. I called Virgin mobile and after a little of pointless troubleshooting they sent me a replacement overnight shipping. Seems they're familiar with this issue. Makes me maybe want to sell this new one while it's in mint condition and stock boot loader etc
Thats exactly whats happening to my phone, cannot charge in sync mode. I'll replace the port and sell it asap. I miss aosp anyways.

4.2.2 RUU
4.2.2 Stock images
4.4.2 /data apps
4.4.2 OTA zip
4.4.2 Stock images
4.4.2 TWRP backup

Toyeboy
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Really weird I'm actually pretty careful with my phone so it's a little worrying so I may seem mine if I can get enough... They go down in value so quick

jwlawhorn
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Another thing I notice is that the MicroUSB cable connectors themselves only last so long before they get bent over and break. I've gone through a dozen or so in the last couple of years. Then again, I'm not nice to my electronics.