[Q] Any Reason NOT to take the .608?

Search This thread

TheAscension

Aug 1, 2011
Milwaukie
I’ve been using an old D2G on wifi only for years now. Just today I randomly decided to “check updates”. It popped up with the .608 update and now won’t stop bugging me about it. Until now I was never notified of an update, but I fear I have unleashed the update monster.

Is there any reason to not accept the .608 OTA? I’ve been burned by OTAs in the past, so I’m reluctant to accept this. At some point it would be nice to have root access and even possibly install KK if that’s ever developed.

I'm currently on Android 2.2 (sys 2.4.330)

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
608 isn't even the last one 629 is.
Should be fine, or root and

Edit;
To stop Motorola Updates
Rename /system/app/BlurUpdater_VZW.apk to BlurUpdater_VZW.apk.bak.

Rename /system/app/BlurUpdater_VZW.odex to

BlurUpdater_VZW.odex.bak.

Rename /system/app/FOTA.apk to FOTA.apk.bak

Rename /system/app/ FOTA.odex to FOTA.odex.bak

reboot, wipe cache
Not all of those apply to 608

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TheAscension

Aug 1, 2011
Milwaukie
608 isn't even the last one 629 is.
Should be fine, or root and
Rename /system/app/BlurUpdater_VZW.apk to BlurUpdater_VZW.apk.bak.

Rename /system/app/BlurUpdater_VZW.odex to

BlurUpdater_VZW.odex.bak.

Rename /system/app/FOTA.apk to FOTA.apk.bak

Rename /system/app/ FOTA.odex to FOTA.odex.bak

reboot, wipe cache
Not all of those apply to 608

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

So you're saying it's ok to take the .608 OTA given that I want to root or possibly flash KK in the future. The file renames are just a solution to prevent the update notifier from bugging me about .629, correct?

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
So you're saying it's ok to take the .608 OTA given that I want to root or possibly flash KK in the future. The file renames are just a solution to prevent the update notifier from bugging me about .629, correct?
all Droid 2 global system versions are rootable, but once on 629 you can not go back to older versions.
but even with 629, a KitKat or lollipop rom (if there ever is one) should install fine.

Reactions: TheAscension

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    all Droid 2 global system versions are rootable, but once on 629 you can not go back to older versions.
    but even with 629, a KitKat or lollipop rom (if there ever is one) should install fine.