WhatsApp Decides to Protect Your Data

When Facebook bought WhatsApp for the absurdly large sum of $19bn back in February, they took the tech … more

Bring Back LTE on the Google Nexus 4 Running Lollipop

One of the predecessors of the latest, largest, and greatest Gooogle Nexus 6(theGoogle … more

Google Maps, My Maps, YouTube, Androidify, Slides, Music Updated–Here’s What’s New

In the last few weeks, Google has been … more

SuperSU BETA: Root Android Lollipop on Stock Kernel

Up until now, if you wanted to get root on Android 5.0, you needed to flash a modified … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Droid 4 randomly shutting down!!!

OP Mr Boourns

8th July 2014, 07:17 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
More
So this is driving me crazy, and I'm not sure if it's a hardware problem or a software problem. Hopefully someone could give me some insight.
So about 2 months ago I installed CM 11 on my Droid 4 and it was my first time doing a custom ROM on an android device. I was extremely satisfied with the results of this as it improved my phone to a well optimized 4.4.2 and making my phone significantly faster compared to stock.
However, for the past 2-3 weeks my phone has become a completely broken mess. For starters the phone gave me strange battery statistics. When turned off and plugged in, the phone would read as 100%, but when I booted in CM 11 the battery would be at 60% and would every so often the phone would jump from 60% to about 15% in literally seconds. The phone shuts down during usage constantly, usually when the battery reads at <60%. Before it does so "Android System" would open up on the screen and immediately close then the phone will read "Shutting down..." sometimes doing so immediately after the boot screen. This became very infuriating so I loaded up stock to see if the same problem occurs. Sure enough, it did. However, before shutting down, the phone would keep going into cooldown mode multiple times. Sometimes it would cool down for only a few seconds, sometimes it would be in cooldown mode for up to 2-3 mins. With that information could someone please tell me what I can do? Do I need a new battery or a new ROM? or do I need a new phone all together? Thanks in advance.
8th July 2014, 11:37 AM   |  #2  
Budapest
Thanks Meter: 8

65 posts
More
Hi,

I have recently encountered this myself on stock ROM. The past few days were very hot and my Droid 4 shut down after going into cooldown mode when I used it for multiple tasks at the same time (browsing, bluetooth, music, etc.). It wouldn't even turn back on until it cooled down. My money is on the battery, I'm planning to swap it out tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Sent from my DROID4 using XDA Free mobile app
8th July 2014, 05:25 PM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Flag South Dakota
Thanks Meter: 1,853

4,580 posts
Donate to Me
More
Could be battery, but I would reinstall ROM first.
If you want can try just ROM install, no data wipe, no gapps.

Sent from my Amazon OtterX using Tapatalk
8th July 2014, 06:50 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Flag Chicago

5 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shadow

Could be battery, but I would reinstall ROM first.
If you want can try just ROM install, no data wipe, no gapps.

Sent from my Amazon OtterX using Tapatalk

It should be worth noting that once i started to notice the problem, I thought it was an issue in the latest snapshot for CM 11. It made sense as I had recently installed it. So I wiped the rom slot clean and went from M7 back to M6 and the problem still occurred.
8th July 2014, 07:00 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Flag Chicago

5 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagim

Hi,

I have recently encountered this myself on stock ROM. The past few days were very hot and my Droid 4 shut down after going into cooldown mode when I used it for multiple tasks at the same time (browsing, bluetooth, music, etc.). It wouldn't even turn back on until it cooled down. My money is on the battery, I'm planning to swap it out tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Sent from my DROID4 using XDA Free mobile app

Thanks man. I'd appreciate that.
9th July 2014, 12:00 PM   |  #6  
Budapest

65 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Boourns

Thanks man. I'd appreciate that.

I swapped the battery this morning, I have 1-2 lying around just in case.
I charged it to full and noticed that the device was not as hot during charging than before.
After this, I did some browsing and run a full AnTuTu benchmark and the Droid remained fairly cool.

So I think it's safe to say that it's the battery that tends to overheat the device.
I was on stock ROM.
The Following User Says Thank You to nagim For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th July 2014, 12:04 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member
Flag Chicago

5 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagim

I swapped the battery this morning, I have 1-2 lying around just in case.
I charged it to full and noticed that the device was not as hot during charging than before.
After this, I did some browsing and run a full AnTuTu benchmark and the Droid remained fairly cool.

So I think it's safe to say that it's the battery that tends to overheat the device.
I was on stock ROM.

Thx for looking into it for me. I just threw down $30 on a new battery over amazon. So I'll let you know if it works once I get it.
10th July 2014, 12:48 AM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member
Flag Chicago

5 posts
More
Update: Just installed the new battery. Gonna leave it on the charger and await further results.

Update 2: The new battery is working great so far. Only got it to as low as 50% as of now so can't say it's a perfect fix just yet.
Last edited by Mr Boourns; 10th July 2014 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Update
10th July 2014, 09:19 AM   |  #9  
Budapest

65 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Boourns

Update: Just installed the new battery. Gonna leave it on the charger and await further results.

Update 2: The new battery is working great so far. Only got it to as low as 50% as of now so can't say it's a perfect fix just yet.

Good to hear it! I used mine for a full day, I'm not saying the device is freezing cold now, but feels cooler and no shutdowns due to heat. Also seems like that some applications tend to heat things up better than others (TuneIn and UC Browser for example). Anyway, let's hope this prolong the life of our phones, I would hate to be without the keyboard.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread