Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Import droid 4 to Europe, any problems?

OP Czerstwy

6th July 2014, 08:48 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Hi. I want to know, is there any problems with Droid 4 in Europe? I'm from Poland, and here is almost no such phones with keyboard, so I would like to buy from USA. I know that this phone work outside USA but I have a question: Phone must be unlock from verizon? If i buy locked, what can I do to make them usable for me? When it is unlock, I only need to updated Android?

I'm still learning english, so, if you have problems to understand my message, I'm sorry.
6th July 2014, 09:48 PM   |  #2  
Flag Douarnenez (finistère, bretagne, france)
Thanks Meter: 65

484 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czerstwy

Hi. I want to know, is there any problems with Droid 4 in Europe? I'm from Poland, and here is almost no such phones with keyboard, so I would like to buy from USA. I know that this phone work outside USA but I have a question: Phone must be unlock from verizon? If i buy locked, what can I do to make them usable for me? When it is unlock, I only need to updated Android?

I'm still learning english, so, if you have problems to understand my message, I'm sorry.

i have bought one on ebay,i was unlocked to any carrier and work good in France
The Following User Says Thank You to magikstar For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th July 2014, 04:25 PM   |  #3  
Flag Budapest
Thanks Meter: 8

71 posts
More
I can confirm, working fine in Hungary too. Would recommend to install Mentor's ROM/patch though, in order to be more optimized to GSM/WCDMA networks.

Sent from my DROID4 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to nagim For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th July 2014, 06:25 PM   |  #4  
Flag Frodsham, Cheshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 32

1,388 posts
More
Quote:

You should have no problems - I'm in the UK and I've bought 4 or 5 in my time. Agree that you should install Mentor's patch if you are using CM11, but stock ICS and JB worked fine for me as stock.

Cheers,

Steve.
The Following User Says Thank You to StevePritchard For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th July 2014, 07:55 PM   |  #5  
Flag Budapest
Thanks Meter: 8

71 posts
More
Agree, works out of the box with stock, but it's better after the patch. Better signals, MMS working properly, etc.

Sent from my DROID4 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to nagim For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th July 2014, 03:02 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
Thanks you all. Last question: It isn't important whether phone is lock or not in verizon? Can I unlock by root/flashing in home by myself? I had only 1 phone with android and I'm not sure that.
9th July 2014, 05:33 PM   |  #7  
Flag Frodsham, Cheshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 32

1,388 posts
More
Quote:

Thanks you all. Last question: It isn't important whether phone is lock or not in verizon? Can I unlock by root/flashing in home by myself? I had only 1 phone with android and I'm not sure that.

AFAIK there's no difference at all between the phones that say they are locked or not to Verizon.

Basically, if you are trying to use the phone in the US, then they are locked. Period. You can't use a Droid 4 in the USA on any network other than Verizon - it seems to be hardwired into the firmware (I'm not sure whether this applies to people with non-US SIMs when roaming in the US though).

As far as the rest of the world is concerned, then the phones are "unlocked" in that they will accept any non-US GSM SIM and work in that country. I think this was the case from the ICS Android release onwards, and only the original GingerBread ROM was locked for international use. Non-stock releases, such as CM11, do an even better job of handling GSM connectivity, especially with Mentor's GSM patch.

Cheers,

Steve.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StevePritchard For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th July 2014, 07:37 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
This is exactly what I wanted to know. Thx.
14th July 2014, 03:49 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 9

33 posts
Same here. I have a Verizon Droid 4 working perfectly in Spain after gsm patch.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread