[GUIDE] S-Off, TWRP Recovery and SU on the HTC Droid DNA
I recently got a HTC Droid DNA on Verizon and it's been stressful getting to the point where I can install custom ROMs from stock. More so than on any of the previous HTC devices I've owned. I've had to glean information from different sources very carefully to achieve this since the majority of the guides out there are outdated, misleading and even brick-bait. This guide is meant to help the recent converts to the Droid DNA go through this process smoothly and safely.
If you follow instructions TO THE LETTER and CAREFULLY and meet ALL the prerequisites for every resource on this post you should have not problems.
Credit goes to the owners and developers of all the resources following most notably beaups, fuses, WindyCityRockr and jcase. These guys have made our device much more powerful and fun to use. None of it is mine. I am neither a dev nor a coder. I just know how to type in basic, decent English
As usual, following this guide is voluntary. You are responsible for your bricked device. Turn on your brain before your proceed. Your warranty will be voided. I suggest you read through the ENTIRE guide and follow the links to all the resources listed before you actually attempt this. If at any point in any of the guides you realize you do not have or have not downloaded any of the resources listed, make sure your get EVERYTHING you need before you proceed. Your best bet is to have a working connection on both your device and computer while you do this.You will need ADB setup and running properly. Pay close attention and note when you have to change a file name and WHERE you need to put the file on your computer before every step.
If that scared you, read no further. Thank you for stopping by.
If any of that excited you, welcome. Proceed.
1. Make sure you actually own a HTC Droid DNA from Verizon Wireless. Not a clone or a lookalike or a butterfly. Make sure ADB is intalled and setup properly on your computer.
2. Start by following (STEP BY STEP AND OMITTING NOTHING. NOTE THE PREREQUISITES) Beaups guide to achieving S-Off using firewater here http://firewater-soff.com/
I followed the guide to gain temproot FIRST and after that followed the steps that apply to a rooted device. I'm not sure it says this in the guide but make sure you copy the temproot and firewater files to your ADB folder immediately after you download them. This guide allows you unlock your bootloader WITHOUT HTC Dev
3. Follow Phaded's guide to installing a custom recovery from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2318159
You can get TWRP's latest recovery image here http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/dlx
Once again, omit nothing. Meet all the requirement before you do a single thing. Download every file and check the MD5 before your proceed. I renamed the TWRP recovery image to "recovery.img" since that is easier to type in a command line and copied the image file to the ADB folder on my computer.
If you have followed every instruction to the letter, you should have S-Off, an unlocked bootloader, root, custom revocery and SU.
4. If you like, you can download the WinDroid Universal HTC Toolkit, select your phone type, wait for it to download the appropriate binaries, confirm that it recognizes your device in ADB and fastboot modes and you can use it to perform various operations including update your recovery, issue ADB and fastboot commands and flash a new ROM. You can find that here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2437614
5. Find a ROM of your choice and flash to your heart's content
Once again, I take no credit. All I wanted to do was consolidate information that was scattered in different sources to make this easier. Hope this helps someone out there.