Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,955 Members 53,061 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Radio or Tower?

Tip us?

tamlin42
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default [Q] Radio or Tower?

So, I live in a rural area, and this isn't likely to change for the next year or two. We have a marginal DSL connection, which has problems that ATT is extremely apathetic about solving. So I've come to rely on my DNA on an unlimited plan to tether. We actually have an LTE tower here, which is great! However, as 4g phones have become more prevalent, naturally the quality of my service began to suffer. I believe I'm roughly 2 miles from the nearest tower.

In the beginning, I would get 20 down, 5 up. Way more than I was used to and plenty for streaming Twitch/Netflix and surfing the web. The connection was rock solid and of course great for gaming. Lately, I'm lucky to get 5 down, 2 up. From 8pm to midnight, There are periods that I'll get .5 down. Point 5. One half. 500kbps. 2 bars of 4g. 500kbps. Even right now, at 5pm, I'm buffering frequently on a 2Mbps twitch stream, doing nothing else with the connection.

So I guess I need to end with a question. Is this a tower issue, can it possibly be that congested? Is it the radio on my DNA somehow? I'm running the stock ROM (rooted, s-off, unlocked stock ROM from the forums here.) and latest radio. Is there a radio version that's reputed to perform better? I'm not much of a phone guy when I'm at home, so if there's some way I can arrange it to be more reliable, putting it on a high shelf or something weird or crazy, I'm open-minded. Is there a ROM that'll make it easier? I used to run Viper, but I didn't use all the features so felt like stock was reasonable.

Basically, any suggestions for improving my LTE performance are welcome.

Uzephi
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 375

DONATE TO ME
It could be the tower is congested. I know if I go downtown Phoenix area during the day, I cannot get above 250kbps, but uptown areas like Glendale and Peoria, I never go below 10mbps. It is because downtown towers are congested.

If it is the tower like my experience above, no radio flash will help you.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to Uzephi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tamlin42
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Thanks for the input. That's pretty much what I'd concluded about my location as well, even though we aren't a high population area. It's a one-intersection town in the midwest. I suppose the tower could be located differently from where I believe it is, but that one would be even less populated.

sabres032
Old
Thanks Meter 80
What is your 4G coverage like in an urban area as opposed to at home? I'm also s-off, rooted and on stock ROM and live in the country. I'm almost smack in the middle of two towers, one two miles to the east and one a mile and a half to the west. When I'm at home my speeds are 15 down and 2-3 up with one to two bars. When I'm in the city area my speeds are almost 35 down and 15-20 up with full bars. In populated areas Verizon lines to have many towers covering an area so the phone can triangulate between the towers to get the best speed and coverage. Those of us in the country usually have only one tower in town and towns are sitar apart so the phone can't triangulate a signal. Once the line tower becomes congested we have no other towers to fall back on and speeds are effected. Which sounds like the problem you describe.
The Following User Says Thank You to sabres032 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tamlin42
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
that makes a lot of sense sabres. I don't get out much so I can't really gauge how things work out of a home situation, unfortunately.
The Following User Says Thank You to tamlin42 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]