[Q] Should I consider installing Cyanogen mod 11?

Search This thread

bill0405

May 12, 2014
Chicago
After I unlocked my Razr HD, I decided to update my bootloader to CWM recovery (6.0.4.9), back up my rom, and basically let it sit since I saw CM11 wasnt really up to snuff for our phone yet. There were bugs and things that I couldn't deal without, so I've just been using 4.4.2 stock Kit Kat. My question is...how is CM11 now for our phone since its had time to improve on the bugs? Is it worth installing? What are some of the pros and cons at its current state. Thanks much!

ESCollins90

Jul 12, 2012
I'd commit if I were you. Since 7/17/2014 nightly, everything I disliked was fixed. (Bluetooth issues). Now the phone works flawless for me.

The only issue I have, is that the speaker phone for phone audio is low, like you were listening through your regular ear speaker. But, as for like YouTube and other media audio, its loud and perfect.

I am on CM11 7/17/2014, this issue may have been fixed by now. But other than that little hiccup, everything else works perfect, at least on my part! Good luck!

iBolski

I have noticed that WiFI seems to be a bit weak, weaker than stock, but not by much. The only place I have issues with WiFi is at work, and usually that's when I leave the main floor where my cubicle sits and go into the main hallway towards the elevator. At that point, the WiFi hotspots are far away and I'm sure there is a lot of metal within the walls that interfere with the signal.

But, overall, CM11 is very stable. It's my daily driver.

Doesn't hurt to try.

Reactions: bill0405

bill0405

May 12, 2014
Chicago
On a positive note, I almost never use speakerphone or wifi (unlimited data :p). How do you guys do on battery life? I'm doing very well on stock, and would like that to carry over. Also, does cm include a ready to go wireless tethering, or to I need to install one? Currently I use the cracked Verizon one and that's my favorite wireless tethering method to date.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

iBolski

On a positive note, I almost never use speakerphone or wifi (unlimited data :p). How do you guys do on battery life? I'm doing very well on stock, and would like that to carry over. Also, does cm include a ready to go wireless tethering, or to I need to install one? Currently I use the cracked Verizon one and that's my favorite wireless tethering method to date.

Battery life seems to be just as good if not better than stock. I also have unlimited data, but I still like to use WiFi over LTE where I can, especially at work where getting the LTE signal can be tough depending on where I'm located at in the building. But, I need to have a data connection because my wife or daughters might need to text me, so using WiFi is better in my work building than depending on LTE.

With CM11, things like WiFi are pretty stable. And to answer your question about tethering, yes. It's enabled in CM11. No need to "patch" it like stock.

Reactions: bill0405

bill0405

May 12, 2014
Chicago
Battery life seems to be just as good if not better than stock. I also have unlimited data, but I still like to use WiFi over LTE where I can, especially at work where getting the LTE signal can be tough depending on where I'm located at in the building. But, I need to have a data connection because my wife or daughters might need to text me, so using WiFi is better in my work building than depending on LTE.

With CM11, things like WiFi are pretty stable. And to answer your question about tethering, yes. It's enabled in CM11. No need to "patch" it like stock.

Is this where you get the file? http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=moto_msm8960&type=nightly

Last edited:

bill0405

May 12, 2014
Chicago
Alright gonna give this a shot. Thanks for the info! I'll let you know how my experience ends up.

*update* Did install, and so far I'm loving it! Very snappy.

Last edited:

bill0405

May 12, 2014
Chicago
Came across a pretty big bug during my testing. Turns out that if you toggle speakerphone or plug headphones in during a call that the phone mic will not work correctly. I read from someone that it appears to be an issue with all KK roms.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'd commit if I were you. Since 7/17/2014 nightly, everything I disliked was fixed. (Bluetooth issues). Now the phone works flawless for me.

The only issue I have, is that the speaker phone for phone audio is low, like you were listening through your regular ear speaker. But, as for like YouTube and other media audio, its loud and perfect.

I am on CM11 7/17/2014, this issue may have been fixed by now. But other than that little hiccup, everything else works perfect, at least on my part! Good luck!
    I have noticed that WiFI seems to be a bit weak, weaker than stock, but not by much. The only place I have issues with WiFi is at work, and usually that's when I leave the main floor where my cubicle sits and go into the main hallway towards the elevator. At that point, the WiFi hotspots are far away and I'm sure there is a lot of metal within the walls that interfere with the signal.

But, overall, CM11 is very stable. It's my daily driver.

Doesn't hurt to try.