Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,580 Members 40,928 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can't Boot into Recovery

Tip us?

jlstark1
Old
(Last edited by jlstark1; 9th July 2014 at 08:04 AM.) Reason: mistake in describing the problem.
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Can't Boot into Recovery

I got this phone used. (Droid Razr HD) Not sure of its history. As far as I know it was all stock until today.

When I found out I could root and unlock the bootloader I did so. Then I wanted to go into recovery and make a backup (yea I know...did that backwards) I powered the device off...hit the volume rocker switch and the power button at the same time and it entered into the Boot Mode selection menu. I hit the volume down to move to the recovery option and then hit the volume up button to select recovery.

At this point the big red M & Dual Core Technology logo appears. Stays there for 1.5 minutes then disappears briefly, comes back on for 15 seconds and then boots the phone normally.

So....I downloaded and installed Rom Manager and had it flash the latest CMW Recovery, turned the phone off to access the newly flashed recovery and the phone again went to the big red M & Dual Core Technology logo set there for 1.5 minutes, disappeared briefly and then booted the phone normally.

So.....I downloaded the lasted CMW Recovery image and used ADB and Fastboot to flash the recovery. Same result. Cannot access the recovery.

So....I downloaded a Stock recovery image and used ADB and Fastboot to flash the stock recover. Same result....cannot access the recovery.

Can someone tell me what I am missing or what I am doing wrong? Or what I can do access recovery.? A rooted phone with an unlocked bootloader isn't much good if you can't access recovery.

Thanks for reading and for any advice you might be able to give.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_1.png
Views:	35
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	2841456   Click image for larger version

Name:	unlocked.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	2841457  

ESCollins90
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I believe when in the boot loader menu, you need to Volume down to your choice, then Volume up to select the highlighter choice. Pressing power just resets the phone as you experienced.

jlstark1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCollins90 View Post
I believe when in the boot loader menu, you need to Volume down to your choice, then Volume up to select the highlighter choice. Pressing power just resets the phone as you experienced.
Sorry....my op is wrong and has been corrected. You are right, the volume up selects the highlighted choice. Which is the way I was doing it, I just described it wrong.

And my problem still exists, I can't access recovery. Thanks for your reply.

ESCollins90
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstark1 View Post
Sorry....my op is wrong and has been corrected. You are right, the volume up selects the highlighted choice. Which is the way I was doing it, I just described it wrong.

And my problem still exists, I can't access recovery. Thanks for your reply.
If you haven't tried it already, since you seem to have ADB setup and working, try to use "adb reboot recovery" and see if you have change in luck. If not, my knowledge does not go much further, I hope someone knows how to answer this for you. I can imagine how distraught I'd be.

The only other thing is to ensure you've installed the correct recovery:
Google Dhacker29 and choose the AndroidHosting site, choose msm8960.
(I can't post url's because i've had less than 10 posts... spam thing)
Since you seem to have unlocked bootloader with the most recent case of KitKat make sure you have the "TWRP2710-RAZR-HD_M-KITKAT.img" file.

I will say I didn't use ADB to push mine, I'm not home often, I used Flashify from the Google Play Store. I had no problem with this method.

Hope you can figure it out! Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to ESCollins90 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jlstark1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCollins90 View Post
Since you seem to have unlocked bootloader with the most recent case of KitKat make sure you have the "TWRP2710-RAZR-HD_M-KITKAT.img" file.

I will say I didn't use ADB to push mine, I'm not home often, I used Flashify from the Google Play Store. I had no problem with this method.
Thanks!! Your 2 suggestions made the difference. Works like a charm!

ESCollins90
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstark1 View Post
Thanks!! Your 2 suggestions made the difference. Works like a charm!
Awesome! Enjoy your new phone!![emoji1]