Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,266 Members 44,932 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Need help rooting, unlocking BL and flashing - new R HD owner!

Tip us?

niksy+
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 997
Cool [Q] Need help rooting, unlocking BL and flashing - new R HD owner!

Hello, chaps! So, I've just got a XT925 and, basically, what I want is to get to CM11. I'm used to CM features and I'm sure this little beast runs even better on KK than it does on stock JB

I was looking for guides and stickies to read through, but there isn't much, really... Why is that? I need help rooting, unlocking the bootloader, flashing recovery and the ROM itself, but I'm far from a complete noob and the guides are enough for me, but I can't find them Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Also, I've got a couple questions about CM11 I'm planning to run the 3.0 kernel CM11 version until KK OTA shows up and I'll see where to go from there. How good is the CM11 on RAZR HD? Is there a list of known bugs? And does the HDMI port work? I find it to be a cool feature, although I don't use it often... Would be nice if it works on CM11, too. And the camera, how's it on CM11? I love the 60fps video recordings and hope that photo quality is at least the same, because it really isn't too great on stock JB :/ Using 3rd party camera apps helps to a degree...

Any help, info and answers would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance!

Cheers
  • RAZR HD | CM11 (3.0 kernel edition) | 2x1.5ghz
  • RAZR i (bro's) | JB stock | 2ghz +HT
  • Xperia U (mom's) | ICS stock | 1ghz x2
  • Milestone2 | MotoBlur [stock] Gingerbread 2.3.6 | 1ghz (ghost touches issue - PM me if you know any fixes ) - retired
  • DEFY+ | CM11 experimental 3.0.8 builds by Quarx | 1ghz - retired

bweN diorD
Old
Thanks Meter 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by niksy+ View Post
Hello, chaps! So, I've just got a XT925 and, basically, what I want is to get to CM11. I'm used to CM features and I'm sure this little beast runs even better on KK than it does on stock JB

I was looking for guides and stickies to read through, but there isn't much, really... Why is that? I need help rooting, unlocking the bootloader, flashing recovery and the ROM itself, but I'm far from a complete noob and the guides are enough for me, but I can't find them Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Also, I've got a couple questions about CM11 I'm planning to run the 3.0 kernel CM11 version until KK OTA shows up and I'll see where to go from there. How good is the CM11 on RAZR HD? Is there a list of known bugs? And does the HDMI port work? I find it to be a cool feature, although I don't use it often... Would be nice if it works on CM11, too. And the camera, how's it on CM11? I love the 60fps video recordings and hope that photo quality is at least the same, because it really isn't too great on stock JB :/ Using 3rd party camera apps helps to a degree...

Any help, info and answers would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance!

Cheers
have a look at this post.
Show some appreciation to those who have helped you by using the Thanks button!!

One Click flash back to stock for Moto Razr HD/Maxx HD Here
[Guide] Moto Razr HD/MaxxHD flash: to KK, root, unlock the bootloader, install cwm, install twrp, or revert back to JB from KK Here
Are you a Noob and not sure where to post your question?
Noob friendly thread for questions about any device Here
To insure i see your reply, always QUOTE me or use @bweN diorD Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to bweN diorD For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

niksy+
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweN diorD View Post
have a look at this post.
Completely missed it... A great post, love it! Question about bootloader unlocking, though - there's the motocalypse way and there's the official way? Or is the official method not available anymore? Any reason why one is better than the other?

And the questions about CM11 remain :
  • Milestone2 | MotoBlur [stock] Gingerbread 2.3.6 | 1ghz (ghost touches issue - PM me if you know any fixes ) - retired

bweN diorD
Old
Thanks Meter 443
Quote:
Completely missed it... A great post, love it! Question about bootloader unlocking, though - there's the motocalypse way and there's the official way? Or is the official method not available anymore? Any reason why one is better than the other?

The official BL unlock is still available as far as I know, but its not available for all phones. You basically have to try it to know if it will work.
I think the official way is reversible, it has always been said motopocalypse is not. Those facts may be wrong though. There was discussion about it in one of the threads but I don't recall exactly what was stated. If you don't care about ever locking it back, it wouldn't be relevant then.

About cm, I still have my rmhd but haven't used it other than for testing since last year. So I can't provide any current help on that, sorry.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Show some appreciation to those who have helped you by using the Thanks button!!

[Guide] Moto Razr HD/MaxxHD flash: to KK, root, unlock the bootloader, install cwm, install twrp, or revert back to JB from KK Here

iBolski
Old
Thanks Meter 411
Quote:

Just go to the Motorola web site and look for the unlocking program and attempt it there. Here is the link: https://motorola-global-portal.custh...-your-device-b

You'll have to either sign in with your Google+ ID or register an account with Motorola. It's free and then you can attempt to unlock your phone.

The XT925's are always unlockable since they are not in the US. It's Verizon that won't allow it and the XT926s are US phones.
Please hit "Thanks" if this post helped you.

RAZR HD XT926 (unlocked)
32gb Nexus 7
Chromecast

niksy+
Old
(Last edited by niksy+; 12th July 2014 at 04:49 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 997
Okay, guys, I've ran into some problems :/

Current status: bootloader loads fine, CWM (6.0.4.4, touch version) loads fine, but the system wouldn't boot after making a backup. I've tried flashing CM11 (cm-11-20140710-NIGHTLY-moto_msm8960-epinter.zip which is supposedly with the 3.0 kernel) and it still will not boot. (I've wiped /system /data and /cache before flashing) All it does is sit at the "Warning bootloader unlocked" screen and it doesn't even become warm...

What I've done: basically, followed all the steps from the thread @bweN diorD posted. Rooted with MotoChopper, unlocked bl with MotoPocalypse and flashed CWM via adb. That was all fine. Then I noticed that CWM keeps disappearing, so I said yes when it asked me if I want it to remove that script from the stock ROM . It also asked "Fix root?" at the same time to which I said yes... Since then the system will not boot. Does anyone know what's gone wrong and what can I do to fix it? Is RSD the only way now?
@bweN diorD @iBolski and everybody else... pretty please :/

*EDIT* Got my stock firmware and flashed it via RSD-lite. Had to remove that check in the xml, but that was it, it has come back to life

Now what puzzles me... Why did the system die after saying yes to "remove the recovery remover script" and "fix root"? And why was CM11 dead on boot, too? Any ideas? :/

*EDIT #2* Nevermind, I'm on CM11 now Rooted again, the bl was still unlocked, installed latest PhilZ recovery and flashed CM11 straight up without even booting stock ROM after installing recovery. All is well! CM11 is so smooth on the R HD that I came a little bit. I loved my petite DEFY+ but this is freaking awesome!
The Following User Says Thank You to niksy+ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bweN diorD
Old
Thanks Meter 443
glad you got it worked out