Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,834 Members 50,431 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] phone wont boot after 4.4 update PLEASE HELP

Tip us?

KiraTheSavior
Old
(Last edited by KiraTheSavior; 10th July 2014 at 05:56 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] phone wont boot after 4.4 update PLEASE HELP

This morning i finally relented and installed the 4.4 update (kitkat?) on my droid razr maxx hd. now im stuck at the red M motorola splash screen thing. is there any way i can fix this? I went to verizon and they wouldent do anything for me. I need my phone for work every day so help is greatly appreciated. i also tried the power volume down to restore factory settings or whatever but it just goes to the M screen forever. the only thing that DOES come up from those menus is ap fast boot. not sure if thats helpful or not. PS im new to this stuff so noob friendly responses please!

iBolski
Old
Thanks Meter 425
Were you rooted at all? Did you modify your system in any way (froze or uninstalled stock apps)? If so, that's why.

Go here to get yourself back in shape:

http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/to...to-kitkat-ota/
Please hit "Thanks" if this post helped you.

RAZR HD XT926 (unlocked)
32gb Nexus 7
Chromecast
The Following User Says Thank You to iBolski For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KiraTheSavior
Old
(Last edited by KiraTheSavior; 10th July 2014 at 06:34 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default f

i used a one click root method and always used voodoo ota rootkeeper other than that i havent changed anything else.

i will try this link and post back in a couple hours i have to go take care of a few things. thank you for the quick response.

iBolski
Old
Thanks Meter 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraTheSavior View Post
i used a one click root method and always used voodoo ota rootkeeper other than that i havent changed anything else
That's your issue. You can't do an OTA after you've rooted since the OTA does a verification to ensure the system isn't modified in any way.

Go to the link I posted in my previous reply to you to get yourself updated to Kit Kat and then unlock you bootloader if you haven't since the KK update put the bootloader exploit back in.

RAZR HD XT926 (unlocked)
32gb Nexus 7
Chromecast

KiraTheSavior
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBolski View Post
That's your issue. You can't do an OTA after you've rooted since the OTA does a verification to ensure the system isn't modified in any way.

Go to the link I posted in my previous reply to you to get yourself updated to Kit Kat and then unlock you bootloader if you haven't since the KK update put the bootloader exploit back in.
attempting it now. will post results.

KiraTheSavior
Old
(Last edited by KiraTheSavior; 10th July 2014 at 11:41 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default it worked!

Quote:
attempting it now. will post results.
it worked im on kitkat and everythings great! thank you so much for the help! it was really easy with the step by step you linked. now i think ill try rooting and unlocking, if i mess it up i can always flash it like i just did and fix it right?

could you link me to the root/unlock tutorial for my phone? sorry im noob XD

iBolski
Old
Thanks Meter 425
Just to be sure, you didn't update to the latest soak that just came out, correct? You are on the previous Kit Kat OTA right?

If you haven't applied the latest soak (183.46.10.XT926), then you are golden and can unlock. ONLY apply the soak update AFTER you've unlocked your bootloader.

RAZR HD XT926 (unlocked)
32gb Nexus 7
Chromecast

KiraTheSavior
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default no

Quote:
Just to be sure, you didn't update to the latest soak that just came out, correct? You are on the previous Kit Kat OTA right?

If you haven't applied the latest soak (183.46.10.XT926), then you are golden and can unlock. ONLY apply the soak update AFTER you've unlocked your bootloader.
no my system information says 183.46.10 i dont know what a soak update is i just clicked install on that annoying install 4.4 update message ive had for weeks (which broke my phone) other than that i havent done anything. is my phone rootable?

iBolski
Old
(Last edited by iBolski; 11th July 2014 at 12:58 AM.)
Thanks Meter 425
Quote:
no my system information says 183.46.10 i dont know what a soak update is i just clicked install on that annoying install 4.4 update message ive had for weeks (which broke my phone) other than that i havent done anything. is my phone rootable?
You should have just ignored the update until after you unlocked the phone. The link I sent you to was meant to get you updated to KK before the 183.46.10 update. The previous KK update allowed you to unlock your bootloader. Now, that is no longer possible. There is no way to downgrade to a previous version. Once the ability to unlock has been patched, you cannot go back and try to unlock it.

You can still root the phone, though. Search for towelroot and you can install that and run it to root your device.

One thing you could try is once you've rooted, try running Motopocalypse to see if it will unlock your bootloader. Either it will or it won't. It won't hurt your phone in any way or brick it.

RAZR HD XT926 (unlocked)
32gb Nexus 7
Chromecast

KiraTheSavior
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default lame...

Quote:
It's rootable but it's not unlockable anymore. You have lost the ability to unlock the bootloader. There is no way to downgrade to a previous version. Once the ability to unlock has been patched, you cannot go back and try to unlock it.

Search for towelroot and you can install that and run it to root your device.
figures. thats me always a day late and a dollar short.