Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,802,856 Members 38,917 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Please Help With Boot Loop after Updating/Rooting/Unlocking

Tip us?

ilinimud
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Question [Q] Please Help With Boot Loop after Updating/Rooting/Unlocking

So here is my problem. I was rooted on JB,and getting propmts to update to KK. After some research I found out that is it now rootable/unlockable, so I downloaded the .183 update and used RSD Lite to get on the update. That went well. Used towelroot and motoapocalypse to get rooted and unlocked. Also went well. Used Flashify to install TWRP. Well again. Heres where things fell apart. I booted into recovery to backup my stock ROM. After I did that I moved the backup to my SD card like an idiot not knowing it couldn't be restored from there. So I downloaded Validus 5.2 and Gapps. When I flashed them I was stuck in a boot loop on start up. Power down and tried again, still looping. Fastbooted to Recovery to restore my backup, but it was not there cuz it was only reading from internal storage (oops). So I was screwed. Then I read that CM had updated the modem or something and that you had to update stuff to use it. Still not sure about all that, but anyway. I thought maybe that was the problem, so I downloaded an older version of CarbonROM from June that was before the CM changes thinking I would be good now, but when I flashed it the same thing happened. Boot loop. So I went back into fastboot and flashed the RSD Lite stuff again. Rooted with towelroot. Unlocked with motoapocalypse. Verified status code 3 in fastboot. Verified root with Root Checker. Installed Flashify, but I haven't installed a recovery yet. Was TWRP my problem? Why am I boot looping on custom ROMs? Can someone help me out, or point out something Ive missed here?

iBolski
Old
Thanks Meter 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilinimud View Post
So here is my problem. I was rooted on JB,and getting propmts to update to KK. After some research I found out that is it now rootable/unlockable, so I downloaded the .183 update and used RSD Lite to get on the update. That went well. Used towelroot and motoapocalypse to get rooted and unlocked. Also went well. Used Flashify to install TWRP. Well again. Heres where things fell apart. I booted into recovery to backup my stock ROM. After I did that I moved the backup to my SD card like an idiot not knowing it couldn't be restored from there. So I downloaded Validus 5.2 and Gapps. When I flashed them I was stuck in a boot loop on start up. Power down and tried again, still looping. Fastbooted to Recovery to restore my backup, but it was not there cuz it was only reading from internal storage (oops). So I was screwed. Then I read that CM had updated the modem or something and that you had to update stuff to use it. Still not sure about all that, but anyway. I thought maybe that was the problem, so I downloaded an older version of CarbonROM from June that was before the CM changes thinking I would be good now, but when I flashed it the same thing happened. Boot loop. So I went back into fastboot and flashed the RSD Lite stuff again. Rooted with towelroot. Unlocked with motoapocalypse. Verified status code 3 in fastboot. Verified root with Root Checker. Installed Flashify, but I haven't installed a recovery yet. Was TWRP my problem? Why am I boot looping on custom ROMs? Can someone help me out, or point out something Ive missed here?
You have to ensure the ROM you are using is built for the KK kernel. Not all ROMs work with the KK kernel.

Here is a list of ROMs that work with KK:

http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/to...kat-roms-list/

Anything else will result in what you are experiencing - bootloops.
Please hit "Thanks" if this post helped you.

RAZR HD XT926 (unlocked)
32gb Nexus 7
Chromecast