Project Ara Smartphone Will Run Modified Android L with Hot Swapping

Project Ara is a very exciting topic–both for hardware and … more

Streamline Android Theme Customization with Graphic Porter

I dont have a custom theme on my Android phone, and the reason for this is because … more

Boost the Brightness of Your Sony Xperia Z1’s LED

I think the last time anyone has ever used a physical torch to find their earphones, … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: Modify the Look of Your Volume Control – XDA TV

How many screenshots have you seen with a volume status bar in the … more

[Q] Red M after loading msm8960 roms (xt926)

22nd August 2014, 04:51 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Portage, MI
Thanks Meter: 43

178 posts
More
Hey guys,

I just unlocked my stock xt926 (Build 183.46.10 Kit Kat) using towelroot and motopocalypse. I then installed TWRP 2.7.1.0 (Kit Kat 4.4 build from Original development section) and did a backup of the stock ROM. I tried installing a couple builds of Cyanogenmod 11, but all of them get stuck on the red M. I got the latest snapshot from get.cm, as well as the one posted by epinter. I sent them over USB and used Ubuntu to validate MD5's using md5sum. I do a full wipe (of everything but internal storage) and install just the ROM, not Gapps, kernels or anything else. After a reboot, nothing but the red M. It will flash once every 5-10 minutes, but I let it sit for 45 minutes without anything else happening.

I also tried it in CWM6 (Kit Kat build from original development) and had the same results.

Right now I'm trying Gummy to see if it's just a CM thing, but has anyone else encountered this? If so, did you find a fix?

Thanks!
22nd August 2014, 11:49 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 19

212 posts
Make sure you are using a recent nightly. The earlier M snapshots are based on the JB kernel. I think the current nightly use the kk kernel but check the cm11 thread in the development section.
4th September 2014, 04:10 PM   |  #3  
Flag Orange
Thanks Meter: 20

99 posts
More
[QUOTE=thunder2132;54986551]Hey guys,

I just unlocked my stock xt926 (Build 183.46.10 Kit Kat) using towelroot and motopocalypse. I then installed TWRP 2.7.1.0 (Kit Kat 4.4 build from Original development section) and did a backup of the stock ROM. I tried installing a couple builds of Cyanogenmod 11, but all of them get stuck on the red M. I got the latest snapshot from get.cm, as well as the one posted by epinter. I sent them over USB and used Ubuntu to validate MD5's using md5sum. I do a full wipe (of everything but internal storage) and install just the ROM, not Gapps, kernels or anything else. After a reboot, nothing but the red M. It will flash once every 5-10 minutes, but I let it sit for 45 minutes without anything else happening.
Right now I'm trying Gummy to see if it's just a CM thing, but has anyone else encountered this? If so, did you find a fix?

I am having the same issue, I have basically done/flashed the same things but seems like no matter what I just get stuck on splash screen.... And my phone gets HOT- too hot to touch...
4th September 2014, 05:46 PM   |  #4  
Flag Guilderland, NY
Thanks Meter: 18

115 posts
More
I think snapshots are for jb bootloader.
And doesn't CM tell you to flash gapps?
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Doug B.
Last edited by dvgb173; 4th September 2014 at 05:51 PM.
5th September 2014, 05:56 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 19

212 posts
I also used CWM and not TWRP. I'm not much help as I'm on stock kk with xposed at the moment. I need Moto exchange services because AOSP has to many issues. I'm missing lots of CM11 favorites (like working BT with Wifi lol).
5th September 2014, 07:30 PM   |  #6  
Flag Columbus
Thanks Meter: 436

1,335 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvgb173

I think snapshots are for jb bootloader.
And doesn't CM tell you to flash gapps?
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Doug B.

Gapps is not required. It just means you won't have Google Play store and other google apps on the phone until you go back and flash them, but NOT flashing gapps will not cause the phone to hang.

You have to ensure you are using the correct CM11 tree, especially if you are on the KK bootloader.

Go here to grab the latest nightlies for KK bootloaders -> http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?device=moto_msm8960

Grab the latest nightly, not snapshot, as someone else stated.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread