Sony Xperia Z3 Lollipop Framework Ported to CM12

Android 5.0 for Xperia has a unique look and feel. You don’t have to get a Sony … more

Do You Use Recents as a Task Switcher?

Google introduced a revamped Recents interface with Lollipop in the hopes of making it easier for … more

YU Yureka All-in-One ToolBox (CM12S Only)

This packed toolbox by XDA Senior Member gohel.vishal makes many useful tweaks … more

Sony Xperia Z4 Forum Now Available

Sony’s Xperia line has seen plenty of development on XDA, and now that the Xperia Z4 has been … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Australia XT905 kitkat update scheduled on Telstra

21st March 2015, 03:27 PM |#21  
Flag Atlanta, GA
Thanks Meter: 170

354 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lem22

The update could be canceled. It's not in the list anymore. Don't know about retail version.

However, the RAZR HD is getting it currently. There should be a way to port it to the M relatively easily, as done with the Google Play edition firmware.

Sent from my Blissful RAZR M 5.0.2 from Tapatalk

22nd March 2015, 12:44 AM |#22  
Recognized Developer
Flag Prague
Thanks Meter: 3,762

1,574 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xKroniK13x

However, the RAZR HD is getting it currently. There should be a way to port it to the M relatively easily, as done with the Google Play edition firmware.

Australian xt925 getting KitKat can hardly help xt905 to leave the jbbl/3.0 kernel ghetto.
You need device specific KitKat bootloader and modem firmware to go the kkbl/3.4 kernel route.
Flashing bootloader images made for a different device (xt925) will most likely brick your device (xt905).
Until there's an official KitKat update for xt905, it will be forced to stay on the old 3.0 kernel.
(Unless someone smarter than me will figure out how to keep the BP with JB modem firmware happy and not crashing when running with AP on 3.4 kernel.)
The Following User Says Thank You to kabaldan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd March 2015, 01:44 AM |#23  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 54

271 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabaldan

Australian xt925 getting KitKat can hardly help xt905 to leave the jbbl/3.0 kernel ghetto.
You need device specific KitKat bootloader and modem firmware to go the kkbl/3.4 kernel route.
Flashing bootloader images made for a different device (xt925) will most likely brick your device (xt905).
Until there's an official KitKat update for xt905, it will be forced to stay on the old 3.0 kernel.
(Unless someone smarter than me will figure out how to keep the BP with JB modem firmware happy and not crashing when running with AP on 3.4 kernel.)

I am not suggesting anyone do this to their phone, however, I have read on here somewhere, where someone flashed an XT905 firmware (using RSD or such) onto his XT907, and it was working

On my old phone, a Sony XPeria Ray ST18A, I used to flash the international ROM (ST18I) and then selectively fl;ash the baseband from the ST18A Sony firmware to correct/access the local radio bands.

I have a "spare" XT905 because I smashed my screen just after I bought it , and had to buy a new one with insurance... Since then, I bought a cheapie screen off ebay and fixed the screen (but somehow managed to also damage the earpiece.. so it doesn't work).

Does anyone know for certain if flashing a XT907 Kernal ONLY onto an XT907 will definitely brick it? With these phones only differing (as far as I can see) in the frequency bands, does the kernel contain specifically?

Looking at the XML in the firmware (for a Telstra XT905) I notice there is a "Modem" specific line, which I would guess to contain the Band specific code (similar to my previous "baseband" components on my Sony)

Quote:

<steps interface="AP">
<step operation="getvar" var="max-download-size" />
<step operation="flash" partition="partition" filename="partition_signed" MD5="22cd99a04c162e93b3b643ae38d9bd04" />
<step operation="flash" partition="sbl1" filename="sbl1_signed" MD5="86685d9e0b505946f6880f1299439c6d" />
<step operation="flash" partition="sbl2" filename="sbl2_signed" MD5="479c860d0809eb024c013bf8b25ede09" />
<step operation="flash" partition="sbl3" filename="sbl3_signed" MD5="177bd596e0c112eb8cf1c141b9f6893c" />
<step operation="flash" partition="rpm" filename="rpm_signed" MD5="da48c189336c7d8a420747ebbaf2d172" />
<step operation="flash" partition="tz" filename="tz_signed" MD5="1fcf95d8ec54318ab6dcb7e70766bcb0" />

<step operation="flash" partition="aboot" filename="aboot_signed" MD5="0d98ea877b13d8a5f07b3b9a1e0c80a8" />
<step operation="reboot-bootloader" />
<step operation="getvar" var="max-download-size" />
<step operation="oem" var="fb_mode_set" />
<step operation="flash" partition="modem" filename="modem_signed" MD5="eb038b1fd95f7a2bf52e6b88cb1d520e" />
<step operation="flash" partition="fsg" filename="fsg_signed" MD5="847a8a135bacf1ac02c3bbeeea845155" />
<step operation="erase" partition="modemst1" />
<step operation="erase" partition="modemst2" />

<step operation="flash" partition="logo" filename="logo" MD5="cd111cc7b675e62a7d85a50632fb88e8" />
<step operation="flash" partition="devtree" filename="devtree_signed" MD5="0e6deb1413b2e1ac1182e9af359e6cd2" />
<step operation="flash" partition="boot" filename="boot_signed" MD5="f30b28de806ac1b8a3bf1d9fee602ba2" />
<step operation="flash" partition="recovery" filename="recovery_signed" MD5="965ec9cb158f1f03ea540098109bce54" />
<step operation="flash" partition="system" filename="system_signed" MD5="b96e29cff7a56fdf0581e53aaf221fc1" />
<step operation="flash" partition="cdrom" filename="cdrom_signed" MD5="741e7c7b85edf10602cd194c1b76b353" />
<step operation="erase" partition="tombstones" />
<step operation="oem" var="fb_mode_clear" />
</steps>

I have seen threads where people have edited / corrected the above firmware file to enable it to flash, so that givces my an inkluing pof hope (or delusion view).

If I was crazy enough to try, any ideas what may be the minimum or if it would even be theoretically possible to only flash a KK "kernel" from a file, which I would need to keep? I would expect the phone to be not bootable until I flashed a KKBL firmware, if it wasn't bricked by the process. i guessing the blue stuff above and maybe the green. You only live once, and the phone is a "spare"
22nd March 2015, 12:19 PM |#24  
Thanks Meter: 38

129 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJohn

I am not suggesting anyone do this to their phone, however, I have read on here somewhere, where someone flashed an XT905 firmware (using RSD or such) onto his XT907, and it was working

I did that too and it's working indeed (XT902 firmwares as well). But you have to flash the original modem back to enable all the networks. And that's the problem, because the modem has to be compatible with the bootloader (or kernel resp.), so most likely a JB modem won't work with a KK bootloader/kernel.

I would wait for an official statement before bricking phones though.
The Following User Says Thank You to lem22 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd March 2015, 01:12 PM |#25  
Flag Sydney

271 posts
Quote:

I did that too and it's working indeed (XT902 firmwares as well).

good to know.

Quote:

... because the modem has to be compatible with the bootloader (or kernel resp.), so most likely a JB modem won't work with a KK bootloader/kernel.

I didn't think of that, and reading it makes me realize you are probably right.

Quote:

I would wait for an official statement before bricking phones though.

Its a "spare" phone which is technically broken (ear speaker is broken, hands-free and speaker phone work fine). I currently use it to test new lollipop ROMS (JBBL based ie Vanir only) without touching my daily (I have two XT905's)

As this thread attests, we are getting the run around for the update. The thought has also occurred to me, once we get the KK bootloader, I have assumed we should be OK to flash XT907 KKBL specific ROM's right?
22nd March 2015, 06:00 PM |#26  
Thanks Meter: 38

129 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJohn

The thought has also occurred to me, once we get the KK bootloader, I have assumed we should be OK to flash XT907 KKBL specific ROM's right?

Yes. Actually we even do have the KK bootloader already (the XT907 one), it's just the modem that's missing. But to get the modem we need the official update anyway.
Either from Telstra or Motorola.
30th March 2015, 10:23 AM |#27  
Flag Sydney

271 posts
Was the model XT905 sold in any other country other than Australia?
31st March 2015, 09:37 AM |#28  
Thanks Meter: 1

16 posts
Waiting for the update too. The bootloader is in the sbl* files (& partitions) I think.

I tried to flash the XT907 KitKat on XT905, it worked fine except the modem of XT907-KKBL; no signals. Flashing modem of XT905-JBBL made it to bootloop.

IMO these phones are quite brick proof from software point of view. But you never know.
The Following User Says Thank You to Faateh For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd April 2015, 03:13 AM |#29  
Flag Sydney

271 posts
The following page is mostly about the HD. but also mentions the M and gives a little more insight.

http://analogindex.com/news/telstra-...t-_211832.html (its all below so no need to look at the url, just for reference)
Quote:

Congratulations Telstra Motorola RazerHD owners, your patience is about to be rewarded. Telstra advised earlier this month that the KitKat update, they originally promised would appear in August last year will arrive this month.

The Android 4.4.2 update for the Motorola RAZR HD finally passed testing on the 2nd of March, and began pushing out to handset owners on the 9th of March at 8am to 500 customers over the next two days. From the 11th of March all customers apparently should have been available to everyone.

Now, when Telstra advised the update would push last year, the RAZR M was also in line for a KitKat update, unfortunately this update has hit some snags. The Telstra software update page lists the update status as having issues, with Telstra advising:

New test submission received 2 November however upon evaluation submission was found to be missing key components required to commence testing. The remaining components were received 14 November and testing has commenced as @ 17 November, however two “showstopper” issues have been identified which will require a further FW submission to resolve.

The sum up for this is that the rollout for the RAZR HD is available, but the RAZR M is held up. When the RAZR M will receive its KitKat update isn’t clear, but the Motorola Australia website still lists the RAZR M as in line for KitKat so the dream isn’t over you’ve just got to hang in a bit longer.

Have you still got your RAZR HD? Have you received your KitKat update yet?

The way I read it, Telstra is awaiting Moto to fix and resubmit a new firmware for testing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DiamondJohn For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread