FORUMS

Galaxy S6 & Edge get €100 Price Cut—New Models Incoming

Samsung has dropped the price of both the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge by … more

How To Port Fully Featured Sony Xperia Z4 Camera

Xperia Z4’s hardware may not impress, but its software is definitely … more

Experimental TWRP Available For Moto G 2015

XDA Senior Member squid2 has posted experimental builds of TWRP for the Moto G … more

Sunday Debate: How Can We Get a No-Compromise Phone?

Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on Compromises. Come with your opinions and … more

Australia XT905 kitkat update scheduled on Telstra

26 posts
Thanks Meter: 28

By Rufus, Junior Member on 29th July 2014, 01:41 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
22nd July 2015, 01:35 PM |#41  
Thanks Meter: 144

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJohn

1. by "and can return it as TWRP backup" do you mean you can simply flash this KitKat update using a standard TWRP restore of this file?

I mean, I took from topic OTA, and return TWRP backup here in exchange, as a reward for the OTA link )

But, yes, procedure is standard. Go to TWRP, put backup in right folder (named by s/n of your phone), Restore.

Quote:

2. can we return back to a JBBL using a previous personal TWRP restore, or do we need to flash the original JB ROM? (to return to JBBL)

TWRP backups doesn't contain bootloader. You should flash stock JB 4.1.2 ROM from Telstra, if you want to go back. Here it is, btw. And you should be on KK, if you want to make use of TWRP backup uploaded by me.

No one can switch between JB and KK w/o flashing related bootloader!

I can make complete Telstra ROM 4.4.2 (as that stock 4.1.2 one ) for easy install, but it will be unlocked bootloaders only, cause images will lack signature. Locked should go through OTA. Or we all can wait for official 4.4.2 RSD/SBF release from Telstra.
Last edited by s5610; 22nd July 2015 at 01:45 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to s5610 For This Useful Post: [ View ]

23rd July 2015, 04:06 PM |#42  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by s5610

I mean, I took from topic OTA, and return TWRP backup here in exchange, as a reward for the OTA link )

But, yes, procedure is standard. Go to TWRP, put backup in right folder (named by s/n of your phone), Restore.

TWRP backups doesn't contain bootloader. You should flash stock JB 4.1.2 ROM from Telstra, if you want to go back. Here it is, btw. And you should be on KK, if you want to make use of TWRP backup uploaded by me.

No one can switch between JB and KK w/o flashing related bootloader!

I can make complete Telstra ROM 4.4.2 (as that stock 4.1.2 one ) for easy install, but it will be unlocked bootloaders only, cause images will lack signature. Locked should go through OTA. Or we all can wait for official 4.4.2 RSD/SBF release from Telstra.

I have unlocked booloader. ( I think I have an engineerning sample device).
Can you tell me the procedure roughly.
23rd July 2015, 11:51 PM |#43  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faateh

OTA failed to update from stock recovery, adb sideload method from recovery, from TWRP or from System Updates.

I managed to get it to apply using stock recovery - the trick is to flash the KK recovery image (extracted from the OTA zipfile) first.

I've got my phone running stock KK without any issues, but I've not been able to then apply CM12.1 over the top (it just boot loops). Also, does anyone have a reliable recovery image that works on the KK bootloader on an XT905? I've tried the XT907 TWRP image - which seems to work, but doesn't display on-screen properly (overlapping menu screens), and the XT907 CWM image doesn't work at all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meric04 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th July 2015, 02:33 AM |#44  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 73

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by meric04

I managed to get it to apply using stock recovery - the trick is to flash the KK recovery image (extracted from the OTA zipfile) first.

I've got my phone running stock KK without any issues, but I've not been able to then apply CM12.1 over the top (it just boot loops). Also, does anyone have a reliable recovery image that works on the KK bootloader on an XT905? I've tried the XT907 TWRP image - which seems to work, but doesn't display on-screen properly (overlapping menu screens), and the XT907 CWM image doesn't work at all.

Maybe the following post at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=232 may be of some assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mario

TWRP 2.8.7.0 was broken on my RAZR M XT907 (Kit Kat bootloader - actually a hybrid, first-stage bootloader is from Jelly Beans and second stage from Kit Kat, mainly to combat the overheating bugs and Bliss Pop KKBL works fine on this configuration), the tiles were everywhere, so I had to rely on memory to pick out which is the actual tile to click on... UI video was kind of too buggy for me so I reverted back to 2.8.6.2 - just FYI. If there is a way to pull the error log from within the recovery, let me know and I'd do so.

The Following User Says Thank You to DiamondJohn For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th July 2015, 06:29 AM |#45  
Thanks Meter: 280

More
FYI, it's kind of risky to do this, although it may work - what I am worried about is the bootloader signature (due to RPM loader's signature tables extracted from tz.mbn file), if they don't match, brick is possible, although if your phone is unlocked already, it's clearly possible to recover from that since there is Qualcomm tool built-in, inside the XT905 first-stage bootloader.

The files for second stage bootloader goes like this:
emmc_appsboot.mbn
fsg.mbn
NON-HLOS.bin
- You will need to extract Linux kernel (boot.img) from any KKBL ROMs (such as XT907 KKBL BlissPop and CM12), and flash KKBL-compatible recovery. Also, you can extract the second-stage BIOS files from the XT907 4.4.2 OTA image zip.

However, don't touch those files (first-stage bootloader):
sblx.mbn (three separate SBL loaders which the on-die zero stage bootloader loads)
rpm.mbn
gpt.bin (Don't alter this - it has security keys as well as SSD partition information)
tz.mbn (This is a Trustzone encryption hash table wrapper, as well as ARMv4 Trustzone processor firmware)

As long as you only flash second stage bootloader, you ought be good. Test it on a discarded XT905 first as I had a funny feeling, that we ought test this before we are to proceed. If it doesn't brick, then Australian RAZR M ought be good to get new ROMs, owing to the fact everyone are jumping off JBBL development bandwagons.

EDITED: I might publish the second-stage BIOS flasher zip if so.
Last edited by Dr. Mario; 24th July 2015 at 06:32 AM.
25th July 2015, 12:01 AM |#46  

More
Quote:

Maybe the following post at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=232 may be of some assistance.

Thanks for that. TWRP 2.8.6.2 seems to work much better.
26th July 2015, 03:01 AM |#47  

More
Quote:

I've got my phone running stock KK without any issues, but I've not been able to then apply CM12.1 over the top (it just boot loops).

Ok - finally got adb working during a boot of CM12.1, and the boot issue is SELinux permission related (nothing can write to /data).
I managed to get it to boot by temporarily disabling SELinux, but that clearly isn't a solution to the problem.

I'm a little out of my depth on the whole SELinux on Android thing. Anyone got any thoughts on how this might relate to the slightly different KitKat bootloader that shipped with the XT905 stock rom update?
28th July 2015, 09:45 AM |#48  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 73

More
Question
Quote:

Ok - finally got adb working during a boot of CM12.1, and the boot issue is SELinux permission related (nothing can write to /data).
I managed to get it to boot by temporarily disabling SELinux, but that clearly isn't a solution to the problem.

I'm a little out of my depth on the whole SELinux on Android thing. Anyone got any thoughts on how this might relate to the slightly different KitKat bootloader that shipped with the XT905 stock rom update?

I would hazard a guess that if you detail the question enough and post it in the general forum (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2259645 unless you already have...) you may be lucky to get a response from someone who understands the issue as it does not sound specific to our devices as such, but more-so specific to the bootloader provided by Moto.

Now, the other thought I had, which I do not see any real benefit to, but it may force a working state where one could flash a custom ROM. Working on the assumption that our phones are basically an XT907 with a different modem, would it be possible to flash the XT907 bootloader and the specific modem for an XT905? Simply a theoretical question, as I only have an XT905 for a daily so can't risk the Bricking of the device myself. I used to do this exact thing with a different device (Sony Xperia Ray) to give me the an Australian Modem after flashing the international device. I do remember someone trying to flash an XT905 KKBL with the JB XT905 modem, but they were not compatible. I am thinking that maybe the two KK bootloaders are similar enough to be compatible with each others modems; maybe.
29th July 2015, 03:50 PM |#49  
Flag Almaty
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Quote:

I would hazard a guess that if you detail the question enough and post it in the general forum (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2259645 unless you already have...) you may be lucky to get a response from someone who understands the issue as it does not sound specific to our devices as such, but more-so specific to the bootloader provided by Moto.

Now, the other thought I had, which I do not see any real benefit to, but it may force a working state where one could flash a custom ROM. Working on the assumption that our phones are basically an XT907 with a different modem, would it be possible to flash the XT907 bootloader and the specific modem for an XT905? Simply a theoretical question, as I only have an XT905 for a daily so can't risk the Bricking of the device myself. I used to do this exact thing with a different device (Sony Xperia Ray) to give me the an Australian Modem after flashing the international device. I do remember someone trying to flash an XT905 KKBL with the JB XT905 modem, but they were not compatible. I am thinking that maybe the two KK bootloaders are similar enough to be compatible with each others modems; maybe.

So, i have a XT905 with unlocked bootloader, but i didn't received update to 4.4.2. Being angry, flashed Stock XT907 KK rom and then flashed system+kernel+recovery+modem(from stock KK update for XT905) thru fastboot(lately i've flashed only modem with stock XT907 ROMs). Everything works fine for me. Now i'm trying to flash custom ROM for KK bootloaders, which mainly developed for XT907, but at this moment with no success, maybe because all recoveries(for kkbl) are built exactly for XT907.

Have i answered you question?

Fastboot files for XT905 KKBL (you must be on KKBL before flashing) (for fastboot files hit thanks to @s5610)
Last edited by Abstractionist; 29th July 2015 at 03:56 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread