Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,727,987 Members 45,899 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Strange issue on 4.4 cm11

Tip us?

jb14813
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default Strange issue on 4.4 cm11

For some reason I can't access Google.com unless using Google chrome. I've tried multiple browsers as well as the built in browser and many different data sources (3g+4g+WiFi) and still I get web page is unavailable. I can get through if I hit refresh repeatedly. My desktops have no issue accessing google . this is the first time I've had an issue like this and I can't figure it out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

xKroniK13x
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb14813 View Post
For some reason I can't access Google.com unless using Google chrome. I've tried multiple browsers as well as the built in browser and many different data sources (3g+4g+WiFi) and still I get web page is unavailable. I can get through if I hit refresh repeatedly. My desktops have no issue accessing google . this is the first time I've had an issue like this and I can't figure it out.

Did you dirty flash or clean? Clear the cache and galvik and try it again. Also, check if you can access it with a IP instead of domain... this could mean a DNS issue. http://74.125.21.101/

Ultimately, I'd post this in the CM11 thread to see if anyone else had the issue, though I don't recall seeing it in that thread.
Please say thanks if a post helps you out.
"There's no point for democracy when ignorance is celebrated." -NOFX

Devices
Motorola Droid Razr M Unlocked on Cyanogenmod Nightlies 4.4.4
Archos G9 101 Developer Edition on Cyanogenmod 11 4.4.3

jb14813
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Clean flash and the IP seems to work much better but if I click images it says unavailable.
I've also tried a DNS changer and tried Google DNS as well as other well know DNS services and nothing resolves the issue.
I didn't post in cm thread because I'm not sure if its a common system file that could be corrupt or what's going on and I also didn't see anyone with this issue.

Thank you for the help.

xKroniK13x
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Clean flash and the IP seems to work much better but if I click images it says unavailable.
I've also tried a DNS changer and tried Google DNS as well as other well know DNS services and nothing resolves the issue.
I didn't post in cm thread because I'm not sure if its a common system file that could be corrupt or what's going on and I also didn't see anyone with this issue.

Thank you for the help.

The images probably don't work because they will direct you to google.com/images/blahblah instead of 74.125.21.101/images/blahblah, what GApps did you flash? It sounds like maybe the Chrome is bad. Does it happen on any other site at all?

Devices

jb14813
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Yeah i know as soon as I click the links it uses the domain instead of IP. I flashed the gapps from cm.

Google chrome is the only browser I don't have this issue on. The default android browser and any other browsers cannot connect to google I've tried uninstalling them and uninstalling chrome and it makes no difference.

I would just use chrome but its fairly slow on my RAZR-M compared to some other browsers available.

jb14813
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Webpage not available

The webpage athttps://www.google.com/webhp?client=ms-android-verizon&source=android-home*could not be loaded because:

net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

This is the error from built in android browser.

xKroniK13x
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Webpage not available

The webpage athttps://www.google.com/webhp?client=ms-android-verizon&source=android-home*could not be loaded because:

net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

This is the error from built in android browser.

Empty response almost always means DNS issues in my experiences... see if the browser you are using has DNS settings built in to the settings area. Change the primary to 8.8.8.8 and secondary to 8.8.4.4. Also make sure that no sort of apps would be blocking those browsers from having the permissions they need.

Devices

jb14813
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Every other website works like yahoo so idk if it would be a permission issue. And I looked and didn't see any settings in browser. I used a root DNS changer to change the DNS to googles like you said but still same response. This is very weird I've never had this issue before and it doesn't matter if I'm WiFi or 3g-4g.

carb0nrain
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Default Dolphin

I just tried it with Dolphin Browser and it seems to work normally for me. I had the same issue with the stock browser.

jb14813
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Yeah stock and cm browser