Kitkat OTA

OP elevatorguy

Yesterday, 03:09 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 16

131 posts
More
I have an m on jb rooted with safe strap is it possible to let it take the OTA to kitkat then root with tr and unlock the bootloader? If it can update will it give me the version that can't be unlocked? If I can't do the OTA how else can I get it on the right version of kitkat?
Last edited by elevatorguy; Yesterday at 03:14 AM.
Yesterday, 03:28 AM   |  #2  
Flag Somerset
Thanks Meter: 50

282 posts
More
This has everything you need... Use rsd lite to upgrade to kk make sure you upgrade to 182/183.46.10 so you can unlock the boot loader

We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dbreezy187 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Yesterday, 03:39 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

131 posts
More
Do you have a link to a download of the kk software? I'm at work looking at this on a phone don't see a link in that thread to it
Yesterday, 04:10 AM   |  #4  
Flag Beijing
Thanks Meter: 899

2,176 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevatorguy

Do you have a link to a download of the kk software? I'm at work looking at this on a phone don't see a link in that thread to it

Read through the thread linked to above and make sure you understand. There have been many people getting stuck at .15 and we don't want you to be one of them!
Firmware for use with RSD Lite: http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=8 . Note that unlike OTAs, flashing with RSD Lite will make you lose your data and your internal storage contents - back up first. Use the 183.46.10 one, and if you want to unlock your BL, DO NOT TAKE THE OTA TO 183.46.15! I SAY IT AGAIN, DO NOT UPDATE TO 183.46.15!!

Sent from Google Nexus 4 @ CM11
[WARNING: XDA Premium 4.0.13 lacks Signature function - do not update]
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AndyYan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Yesterday, 04:19 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

131 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyYan

Read through the thread linked to above and make sure you understand. There have been many people getting stuck at .15 and we don't want you to be one of them!
Firmware for use with RSD Lite: http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=8 . Note that unlike OTAs, flashing with RSD Lite will make you lose your data and your internal storage contents - back up first. Use the 183.46.10 one, and if you want to unlock your BL, DO NOT TAKE THE OTA TO 183.46.15! I SAY IT AGAIN, DO NOT UPDATE TO 183.46.15!!

So flash this file using RSD Lite afterwards phone will be on the version of KK that can be rooted with TR and bootloader unlocked with motopocalypse. Then can install custom recovery. I thank you for your help
Yesterday, 04:32 AM   |  #6  
Flag Somerset
Thanks Meter: 50

282 posts
More
As AndyYan stated read through the linked thread, it has very well written instructions complete with screenshots and links to the required files and please be sure to thank ATTACK for his time in putting it together for us... Just go to the original post for the walkthroughs and hit that thanks button to show him some well deserved appreciation...

We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dbreezy187 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Yesterday, 04:52 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

131 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbreezy187

As AndyYan stated read through the linked thread, it has very well written instructions complete with screenshots and links to the required files and please be sure to thank ATTACK for his time in putting it together for us... Just go to the original post for the walkthroughs and hit that thanks button to show him some well deserved appreciation...

OK thanks will check the thread when I get home. Some of the links probably just don't show up on mobile in fact can't follow the link to Web view from phone. Thanks again for the help ☺
Yesterday, 05:03 AM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

131 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbreezy187

Just reread if I understand it correctly I don't need kk just the firmware. . . If I'm understanding it correctly
Yesterday, 08:54 AM   |  #9  
Flag Beijing
Thanks Meter: 899

2,176 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevatorguy

Just reread if I understand it correctly I don't need kk just the firmware. . . If I'm understanding it correctly

Huh? The firmware's version is KitKat. You need the full firmware to be on KitKat and unlock your bootloader.

Bonus info: after upgrading to KitKat and unlocking, if you find KitKat's battery performance isn't satisfactory, you can always downgrade back to Jelly Bean using the guide in General section, and because this will not relock your bootloader, you're safe to do this.
If you have any trouble doing the above, read through the guide and other forum posts, and if no answer comes up, feel free to ask.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyYan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Yesterday, 09:04 AM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

131 posts
More
I wrote that the wrong way. What I mean is the firmware file listed is a 750mb file. For my m8 the 4.4.4 firmware update was only 24mb. This leads me to believe that this file includes a kk rom to go along with the firmware. Read a little more(light bulb went on) I thought firmware and roms were always two separate things. . . Duh now I understand why just the one file is needed. I will give this a shot when I get up. Thanks for the help again. Sorry I was asking the wrong question ☺
Last edited by elevatorguy; Yesterday at 09:54 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread