Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,054 Members 46,631 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Bootloop on stock RAZR M - Recover Photos?

Tip us?

jh120
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default [Q] Bootloop on stock RAZR M - Recover Photos?

My friend (not a techy person) has a completely stock RAZR M which is bootlooping after a failed update. Phone itself has already been replaced but the old one has some important photos on it. I don't have the phone on me right now (will be trying to fix it tomorrow) but all my research tonight is telling me that data is probably unrecoverable. Figured I'd ask directly to be sure.

I will try booting to the stock recovery and clearing cache. My understanding is that ADB won't be able to pull files because my friend wouldn't have enabled USB debugging before this happened. A factory reset would wipe user files so that's no use.

Any tricks I can pull here? Possible to flash a custom recovery while bootlooping? Would that allow ADB access? I'd appreciate any help, so I don't have to deliver bad news

ezknives
Old
Thanks Meter 234
Look into house of moto... I believe (I've never used it) it has an option to flash without wiping internal SD (like I said I believe)... So you'll have to either flash the version s/he was on or a version higher... Then pull the files via USB or SD card...

Sent from my XT907 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to ezknives For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jh120
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezknives View Post
Look into house of moto... I believe (I've never used it) it has an option to flash without wiping internal SD (like I said I believe)... So you'll have to either flash the version s/he was on or a version higher... Then pull the files via USB or SD card...

Sent from my XT907 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
That looks promising, thanks. I'll read up on it.

xKroniK13x
Old
Thanks Meter 79
House of Moto using Keep Data or Universal should do the trick. Make sure to use the same firmware version the phone is on, such as do not downgrade. You can upgrade it though, so if unsure of version just get the newest version.

Sent from my RAZR M (CM Nightlies) from Tapatalk Pro.
Please say thanks if a post helps you out.
"There's no point for democracy when ignorance is celebrated." -NOFX

Devices
Motorola Droid Razr M Unlocked on Team Gummy Nightlies 4.4.4
Archos G9 101 Developer Edition on Cyanogenmod 11 4.4.3
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xKroniK13x For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]